Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Having children un-married

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i am quite traditional and won't be having children before getting married.

my fella better get a move on with that proposal. i want babies!!!!!
  • Options
    well yeah, its a gesture. Its cute.

I think it's a bit more than 'cute'. A Dog is cute. Giggle when you fart is cute, but - again - as much as I find the idea of marriage a bit old fashioned it is a kind of promise, which is always nice to get, even if they might be broken sometime.
    Its not necessary though and it doesnt necessarily mean that the couple are more commited to each other than a couple who are cohabiting

I know, and I didn't claim that.

I did read some statistical evidence that children of married couples are less likely to turn out to be ne'er-do-wells or something of that ilk but each to their own. I just think that wedlock is the best situation in which to raise a child.

I don't think this has to do with the being married itself, but if the fact that if you are married before you are usually more "prepared" for the kid. In that statistic appear all those unplanned pregnancies of lousy parents who won't raise their offspring sensibly.

It's the same with a statistic in vienna: Kevin is not a usual name for a boy here. To be superficial to bring across the point: The Kevins I see on the street (if I overhear someone being called like that) are to a very high degree chavs (they don't exist over here, just for the sake that you know what I am talking about, so chav-like if you want).

The statistic says, that children with the name of Kevin, Jessica, Dennis, all unusal angloamerican names have lower grades in school on average. The statistic tries to sell us, that teacher are prejudiced against those children, which I might buy to a certain degree, the other side of the medal is, that those people are probably really uneducated, because they stem from those families. I know it's generalized, but like I said, empirical observation showed the kevin,jessy,dennis-distribution among the classes to me.

So there is more that meets they eye on first glance.

/e: I was brought up in a huge family too. We still all come together to almost every birthday to celebrate. I have probably two dozen cousins and those family gatherings were always exciting when I was a kid. This is definitely I want it to happen for my kid too.
  • Options
    Children should be seen not heard :D

Of course marriage makes a difference but not because of the marriage. I think children with two parents in a stable relationship generally fare better. Generally if the people are married then both parents will be around, and again generally speaking if they are married then it may be more stable.

Also btw if anyone gets confused by my post I said generally speaking so you don't need to reply about how your circumstances aren't marriage and you turned out fine lol, unless you poll everyone in your circumstance in the country (but people have already done representative polls and found what I've said!)
  • Options
    People have done the polls and found what you've said because that is what they are looking for. The idea that a family is two parents and their children is culturally and temporaly specific.
  • Options
    As StrubbleS says, it's one of those things that's statistically true that kids of married parents do better within any given society, but that's just because marriage is usually an indicator of a planned, wanted child and a couple with the maturity to give them all of the advantages. Interestingly, Britain has one of the higher rates of marriage in Europe, and I'd hardly say we have the most achieving, best behaved kids. America has even higher rates, and I would suggest their social problems are a worse version of our own. So no, the marriage itself isn't important, but what it represents probably is.

And of course the reason the Conservatives are so keen to put money in the pockets of married couples is because they are their core, middle-class voters.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    People have done the polls and found what you've said because that is what they are looking for. The idea that a family is two parents and their children is culturally and temporaly specific.

It might not be the case that married parents = better parents, but rather better parents on average are more likely to get married.

But for example they have found that kids from these stable backgrounds do better in school. Whilst yes if they are looking for these they are bound to see them, it's hard to argue the studies are wrong because they thought it was the case anyway.
  • Options
    You've missed my point, which is that the conception of a family as two parents and their children is taken as a 'natural' starting point, which I contest. The results of studies that look at families are bound by the conceptions of 'family'.
  • Options
    My parents are still happily married and I think the 4 of us kids have turned out alright so far. My best friend's mum is on her 4th marriage and he's also turned out just fine.

However, my partner and I have bought a house together and we've talked about kids. As was said in a previous thread, there are a number of different financial pressures on a couple out our stage of life. We have a mortgage and all the other things that go along with having a house.

Having said that, we live pretty comfortably and could afford to either get married or have a kid in the next year or so. We couldn't, however, afford to do both. I know that it's possible to get married on a shoestring, but what's the point? If I'm going to get married I want it done properly.

Anyway, the priority for us is kids rather than getting married. I'm sure we'll get married at some point, but it doesn't really matter when. Whereas with kids it's much easier to get pregnant in your 20s than post 20s, and we'll also have more energy than when we're a bit older.

I don't think it makes a difference whether parents are married or not. Our kids will have a different surname from me, which is the only difference that marriage creates. My partner and I love eachother whether we're married or not, and as we're not christians, a joint mortgage was probably more of a commitment than marriage will be.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I...don't know. I'm not going to have children before we've been married for a couple of years but that's more to do with timing than anything else. The idea is to get married within the next 3-4 years and then have kids 3-4 years after that. I want my children to grow up knowing that mummy and daddy were happy together and that sort of thing. I...didn't really. My mum and dad split up when I was eightish and all I've known since then is the stupid competitiveness of being a child with two families (largely from my dad's pov, I have to say, because really, saying 'is your mother coming?' when I asked him to come to my graduation royally pissed me off). I don't want my kids to experience that, ever.

I know exactly what you mean, I've experienced all this and it is not nice!
  • Options
    Me and my parenter arent married, I have no urge to go and get married. I would rather have another baby then spend money on a wedding. We do want to get married, but want a big wedding with all family and friends, we just cant afford to do it at the mo.

My cousin brought his wedding forward a year because they found out his g/f was pregnant...... they are now split up. Marrige isint everything, a loving stable home for the child is.