Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

National rail strikes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Does anyone have specific info on how the services will be affected? Will it be cancellations, delays or both? I have tickets from London to Sheffield and back around Easter and want to decide whether to try and book a coach or something instead...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    At the minute its looking like its just going to be less maintenance staff working, therefore any planned work will not take place and should anything fail it may take longer to repair and cause delays, plans are also in place for tracks of 125mph speed to be reduced to around 100mph to reduce the chance of any equipment failing. The ballot for signalling staff has yet to come back but if it does come back as a result to strike there is likely to be relatively significant disruption across the network, Main routes like London to Sheffield are less likely to be affected than smaller branch lines.
  • Options
    woooo! Sheffield!

that's all I have to say on the matter! :D
  • Options
    I was supposed to be going to a wedding, getting the train, but I can't go now incase of the strikes. I don't want to be stuck at the station all alone all day! BORING! Stupid railway.
    Xx
  • Options
    I was supposed to be going to a wedding, getting the train, but I can't go now incase of the strikes. I don't want to be stuck at the station all alone all day! BORING! Stupid railway.
    Xx

Not quite a stupid railway. The strikes are against proposed cuts in numbers of staff which some argue will compromise the safety of the network.
  • Options
    Yeah... but... It means I can't go to one of my best friends weddings.
    Haha xD No, but it is very annoying that everyone seems to strike at the time when I'm doing something.
    Xx
  • Options
    Xx

Wait... what? :confused:

I thought they hadn't announced when/where etc etc yet....
  • Options
    I know, but my dad said he couldn't come and pick me up if they did strike because he's being Best Man. So.. I'd be stuck in a town I've never been to alone, at a train station all alone. Not fun.
    Xx
  • Options
    Hmm, do you reckon if they go ahead they could strike as early as the 26th? Suppose thats a bit early if they're saying it will be over Easter....

Man I wish I could drive :p I gotta be at Southampton by 20.00 that day, but got school, so a coach wouldn't get there in time.
  • Options
    FCUK it wrote: »
    Not quite a stupid railway. The strikes are against proposed cuts in numbers of staff which some argue will compromise the safety of the network.

Exactly. One of the main reasons is implementation and control of T3 track possessions which protect workers on the line when other trains are in the area and running, its not something that can be skimped on.
    Wait... what? :confused:

I thought they hadn't announced when/where etc etc yet....

They haven't. Its pointless saying BA can't make it to a wedding when the existence of a strike and when it exists hasnt been confirmed yet. Its looking 'likely' that while maintenance staff may strike signalboxes will remain open and trains will still run.
    Hmm, do you reckon if they go ahead they could strike as early as the 26th? Suppose thats a bit early if they're saying it will be over Easter....

Man I wish I could drive :p I gotta be at Southampton by 20.00 that day, but got school, so a coach wouldn't get there in time.

Unlikely. If the strike goes ahead small rural routes are more likely to be affected than mainlines serving Southampton.
  • Options
    I'd go to the wedding, but I'm not allowed... and seriously? Would I want to be stuck at the trainstation for hhhoouuurrrssss? No. Haha! My dad said, it's my choice but that he seriously wouldn't be able to come and pick me up until 2 days later... and the only other person would be my grandad but he wouldn't be there for hours and hours AFTER the wedding and party... so the next day.
    I really don't want to risk it :p
    Xx
  • Options
    You wouldnt get stranded as any closures etc would be announced well in advance.

Strikes on anyway, dates and closure information to be announced. Check before you travel etc.
  • Options
    Best source for info? nationalrail.co.uk? And they have to give 7 days notice, right?
  • Options
    Correct, and correct. Or the TOC you are intending to use, East Midlands Trains have a form you can fill out and they will email you as and when they know.

As I mentioned below the major signalling centres (known as IECC's or PSB's) are likely to remain open, either staffed by non union membersor managers. Its likely to be smaller branch routes or routes with lots of small signal boxes that will be affected. London to Sheffield only has 4 boxes in the entire trip, all major ones, so SHOULD remain open.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I was worried after people at work were convinced ALL rail services would be down, nation-wide.
  • Options
    East Midlands Trains have confimed today all London services will run as normal throughout Easter weekend as well as the strike period after Easter.