Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Meeting a partner's parents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm meeting my partner's mum for the first time today. I'm pretty scared about the whole experience. Normally you'd expect to meet them a max of 6 months into your relationship, but me and my other half have been together for 2.5 years and we have bought a house together.

My other half hasn't seen his mum in 5-6 years, and hadn't spoken to her the entire time we've been together until a couple of weeks ago. And now she's coming to visit for the weekend.

Spent the entire day yesterday cleaning the house and it is officially spotless. Now I've got to get through a day of work before meeting her tonight. I fear I'm going to get nothing done today. (Especially if I faff about on thesite...!)

How did your first meeting with your partner's parents go?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    pretty well, just be polite and smiley. extra brownies if your boyfriend is visibly happy with you. also i dont know the situation but if she hasnt seen her son for 5-6 years i expect she's gonna be really nervous too and wanting to make a good impression on both of you guys.
    extra brownies if your boyfriend is visibly happy with you. also i dont know the situation but if she hasnt seen her son for 5-6 years i expect she's gonna be really nervous too and wanting to make a good impression on both of you guys.

I hadn't thought of that! You're right, she'll probably be nervous too.

My plan for the day is to not have too much coffee, because it wouldn't do to be overly hyper when I meet her. I should probably actually try to do some work too today!
    it'll be okay, just remember you have nothing to prove to her so dont feel any pressure and just be yourself. it really does seem like she is gonna be the nervy one. make her a decent cuppa and i'd say you're in :p let us know how it gooooes :)
    Hi Sera, welcome to TheSite :wave: I'm just going to move your thread into the relationships forum as you should get some more replies there :thumb:

We also have an article on meeting the parents - it's quite light-hearted but there's some good tips in there.

Good luck :thumb:
    Jo7 wrote: »
    Hi Sera, welcome to TheSite :wave: I'm just going to move your thread into the relationships forum as you should get some more replies there :thumb:

We also have an article on meeting the parents - it's quite light-hearted but there's some good tips in there.

Good luck :thumb:

Jo

I've been a member of thesite for years, but I haven't posted for the past year or so.

Thanks for the article. Thankfully meeting her on my home turf, so no dogs to complicate things!

Thanks for moving it, I did consider putting it in relationships but wasn't sure where the conversation would lead to.
    Ah ha, in that case, welcome back!

Hope it goes well tonight, it's good you're meeting on your own turf, that should help to make you feel more at ease :)
    As others have said, your partners mum is probably more nervous!

I was in a long distance relationship with my hubby when we first met and we both lived with our parents, so the first time I met the in laws I turned up at their door with a suitcase- I was staying there for the week! I remember my hubby meeting me at the coach station and we got a bus to his house and I stood around the corner soooooooooo nervous. I remember his mum coming to greet me (his dad's ass is always glued to the sofa) and I could tell she liked me so that relaxed me abit.

I'm sure it will be fine- better that she is coming to your house too.