Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

baking - alternative to butter???

is margarine/vegetable far spread as good?

i'm buying farrrrr too much butter at the minute as i'm baking alot. i'd save alot of money if i bought margarine as you get alot more for your pennies.

my question is though, does it make your bakes taste as nice as butter would and does it work? if not, i don't wanna waste my time :)

i'd rather find out on here than after baking something :p
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For cakes and biscuits I use vegetable fat spread, unless it is to melt into chocolate in which case I use butter. I also use butter for that caramel chocolate shortbread. It depends what you make :)
    does margarine taste as good as butter does in cookies though? i'm just wondering as you really can taste the butter in cookies!
    No, margarine does not taste as good as butter.

You're likely to get unreliable results if you use spreads instead of margarine or butter, as the fat / water content is different.
    You can't use spreads like Gold as they don't heat up right. Best thing to do is to have a look at the side of the spread when you're buying it and if it says "suitable for baking" then you're alright. I use Flora when I'm cooking and it works for me, but I hardly ever do any baking.
    ive used buttery spreads instead of butter and i think the difference is minimal.
    I wouldnt use cheap marge though
    Big Gay wrote: »
    No, margarine does not taste as good as butter.

You're likely to get unreliable results if you use spreads instead of margarine or butter, as the fat / water content is different.

All of this :yes:

It will work in that you will get some baked goods out of it, but they won't taste as nice, and the texture can be a bit off. You should also never be tempted to use low fat versions of anything when you bake - the water content is huge, and turns everything to mush, plus they can also be pumped with sugar, which upsets the balance of ingredients :sour:

If you really don't want to use butter, I'd recommend looking up some recipes that use vegetable oil as their fat. They won't have that buttery taste, but some can taste pretty good, regardless, and you won't have the unreliability factor. Some vegan recipies might even be worth a look.
    *shrug* we buy Tesco sunflower spread (it's for baking, not for spreading on toast or owt) and it's fine in all the cakes and biscuits I make. The only things I use actual butter for are double chocolate cookies and that caramel shortbread.
    I think baking is one of those things that if you're going to do it, do it properly. Eating delicious baked treats are a luxury rather than a staple anyway, so surely it's better to bake less often or produce smaller amounts, but made with the best possible ingredients?

I'd rather eat one delicious buttery cookie than two less delicious margariney ones.
    i always use margarine (usually stork) and it's fine, but that might be because it's what i have always used so i have nothing to compare it to.

shortbread is definitely better with proper butter though :yes:
    *shrug* we buy Tesco sunflower spread (it's for baking,

is that spread, or soft margarine?
    Here are two photographs of the fat that I use in my baking (excluding shortbread, caramel chocolate shortbread and those very bad for you double chocolate cookies from the hummingbird bakery book.)

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv181/littletinbird/DSCF5116.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv181/littletinbird/DSCF5119.jpg

and it works absolutely fine and I have not had any problems with it and none of my baking tastes bad!
    It's a 60% fat spread, margarine and butter are about 80% fat.

My guess is it would go stale quicker... but from the look of your baking I don;t think it would get the chance.
    any baking here lasts 2 days max tbh, my mum and sister both have a very sweet tooth.
    Marge baking doesn't taste bad! It just doesn't taste as good as butter. IMO, of course. It is possible I'm just a baking snob though, don't know if most people would notice that much of a difference.

Low fat spreads in baking, however = :yuck:
    i think i'll stick to butter :p

i wasn't looking to make my bakes less fattening! i just wanted to see if i could save money somewhere as butter is quite expensive compared to margarine :) nevermind. i'll stick to butter. i don't wanna risk making not-so-tasty treats!
    Oh, absolutely - unless the thing you're making is very delicately flavoured, you'll all but mask the butter taste anyway.

I don't know which things you can tell the difference with though, as I don't cook with margarine, the main reason for that is I never have any.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I normally use butter unless I have a real craving for something and don't have enough in. I'll then use margarine.
    I normally use stock for both cakes/busicuits, but then I've always used it and dont notice the difference. There are a few richer receipes (such as brownies) when I prefer to use butter otherwise it doesnt quite work flavour wise.
    errrrmmmm, excuse me. don't go dumping your crappy spam in my thread please.
    Cookies made with olive oil....
    errrrmmmm, excuse me. don't go dumping your crappy spam in my thread please.

chuckle, you tell him. Tis just what i've been thinking, not too obvious -much!
    :lol: Do you bingo nerds really think it's not obvious that you sit next to each other in your sleazy bingo company office trying to fish for players on a website aimed to support teenagers and young adults with problems?

great.
    My personal opinion is that baking with margarine may change the actual taste compared to butter. but both of them taste good anyway. so no worries about that
    I get basics own brand butter from supermarkets and it's actually roughly the same price as marge, if not cheaper. Make sure you look at the bottom shelves of the fridges - that's where all the cheapest produce is.