Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Voluntry work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm really nervous as I've been offered an interview for a voluntry job. It's for teaching children at a Saturday homework club. I've been off from work for the last four years with mental health problems so I don't really know what to say in the interview about that. I do have experience though, I was a teaching assistant on my GAP year in Brazil and when I was at university I tutored secondary science and maths as my job. I really don't want to mess this opportunity up as it's been so long since I did anything work related.

Comments

• Options
    I think the main thing is just to be honest about why you've been off work (though without going into details) and then stress the experience that shows why you should get the role. I don't think you need to say more than you've not been able to work because of the health issues and that this looks like an ideal way to put your teaching skills back to work.

I also think it might be worth thinking about how open you'll want to be about the details and bear in mind they might be both curious and want to ask follow up questions about it. Just figure out what you're comfortable saying and if they want to ask more than that maybe say that you understand them wanting to know more but there's only so much you're comfortable being open about.

Might be worth preparing for a question about safety around your mental health issues. I know that shouldn't be a problem for you to answer and does imply some stigma but I think you might be faced with that kind of question.

On the other hand your experience really does speak for itself, so like any interview really big that up.

Know that might not be much help but good luck, really hope the interview goes well :)
  • Options
    Thanks Jim, that is really helpful and has given me lots to think about.
  • Options
    Goodluck

x
  • Options
    They asked me to phone up to arrange the interview but when I phone it's always on voicemail. I left a message the first time but they haven't phoned back. I hope I get through to them soon.
  • Options
    Right. They phoned me back. I've got the interview at 5pm on Friday :nervous:
  • Options
    Good uck. Have you much experience with interviews? Why don't you make a few notes about what you want to say before you go?
  • Options
    Yeah I'll have a think about it. They asked me to bring a copy of my CV with me so now I'm trying to put one together. It looks pretty good except for the massive gap.
  • Options
    You could do a skills based CV instead of a chronological one. List skills you have as points or headings and then provide evidence for each skill, rather than what jobs you did between what dates.

The questions we are told to prepare for are:

Why have you applied for this job?
    Why would you be good at it?
    What do you know about this organisation?
    What questions do you want to ask?

We are told to prepare answers in threes, and each answer have some evidence so, for a question like

-What qualities do you have to offer? You could answer with communication skills, but instead of saying 'communication skills' you would say:

"I am good at finding out the crux of peoples problem, firstly by listening to what they say and then asking them questions that draw out areas they might be vague about. For example, when I worked in telesales people would want to replace their windows and I would ask them if theywanted wood or uPVC. If they said wood, I would ask if it was because of the look, as they might not be aware that there were wood looking uPVC options, so if their other desire was low maintenance, I could steer them in that direction."

blah blah blah.

Also, prepare an answer for what you think your weaknesses are, or what you might find difficult about the job. We are told for the weaknesses question to be honest, but to pick something that is not relevant to the job, so don't tell them you have difficulty getting to places on time, but I can't rememebr an example of a good weakness.

Anyway, what is the position you are going for?
  • Options
    good luck randomgirl :):)
  • Options
    It's in an hour :nervous:
  • Options
    be confident, they like the sound of you enough to want to interview you.
  • Options
    Good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    :yippe: It went really well, I start on Wednesday! They didn't ask me about my mental health or what I do at the moment, they seemed more keen to sell themselves to me if that makes sense. They said I had relevant experience and the man interviewing me said that he went to the same university as me so I think he liked that.
  • Options
    Yay! I am so pleased for you! You deserve it.

*party smiley*
  • Options
    Great news, congratulations!