Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sent home from work.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well I started a new job as a supervisor on Sunday for Scotts as part of JD and all I had to do was wait for my references to come back.
Well they did and as a result I have now just been sent home.

On my application I said I left my last job when I changed address which I did.
But the reference came back and they hadn't said why I left so I went into more detail that my manager at my last job was a bully and I felt it was best to leave the post for good.
I didn't put this on my application because I was told not to as it would look like I was bad mouthing my managers and that I would appear to have a problem with authoritative figures thus hurting my chances.

But because they refused to say about my leaving and I didn't state my manager was a bully to begin with I am now once again jobless.
I had to go and sit at the top and at the back of the bus on the way home because I just had to cry and I still could even now.

I don't suppose there is anything I can do about this legally is there? I'm seriously upset right now.

Comments

• Options
    unfortunately as you have just started the job your legal rights are very limited, if you have any rights at all.

the only thing I can suggest is contacting your new job and asking them to contact your old employer requesting "how/why you left your previous job" Surly as a new employer they should've contacted your old job to clear this up if it wasn't stated.
  • Options
    I think the whole reference system is a joke. There needs to be a more objective measure of performance.
  • Options
    BoredOften wrote: »
    I think the whole reference system is a joke. There needs to be a more objective measure of performance.

Kind of off topic/not helping the original post but how would you go about with a more objective measure? surly the best person to gauge how good you are as an employee is your employers
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Kind of off topic/not helping the original post but how would you go about with a more objective measure? surly the best person to gauge how good you are as an employee is your employers

Someones oppinion is not really objective is it? Employers can be vindicative and spiteful.
  • Options
    Someones oppinion is not really objective is it? Employers can be vindicative and spiteful.

so what do you think is a better option?
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    so what do you think is a better option?

Refrences should not be given in that context. Things such as attendence etc should only be disclosed.

Performance at interview and ones past experience and achivements is really more than enough for the employer to judge competence.
  • Options
    Ask to see a copy of the references they were sent
  • Options
    Refrences should not be given in that context. Things such as attendence etc should only be disclosed.

Performance at interview and ones past experience and achivements is really more than enough for the employer to judge competence.

but then your only getting information about them as a person from them directly, and come on, its not hard to fake how you are,

I feel it would be stupid, to employee someone on their "attendance" and facts and there appearance of themselves without any other opinions. Personally I have never had a problem with any of my previous employers and they are not allowed to give a biased or unfair reference.
  • Options
    Can I just check I'm clear on the sequence of events?

When you applied for your current job, you put down change of address as your reason for leaving your old job.

So you start your new job, and the reference they were waiting for comes through from your old job.

This reference doesn't say why you left?

So you tell your new job that you lied on your application form and actually left because of personality differences with management.

New job sends you home because you lied on application form.

Have I got that right?

IF that's the case, they if you take a step back you can probably see why your new job sent you home. Lying is not a good way to start. If in fact the reason for you leaving was a combination of change of address and personality clash meaning that it wasn't a job worth travelling for you could try explaining the bigger picture to your new employer, but I expect you've let things go on too long now.
  • Options
    I didn't lie everything I said was true I just gave them half the picture to begin with then expanded on it when asked later.
    I didnt tell them to begin with because it looks like I have a problem with authority if I start calling my manager a bully.

I have spoken to my mothers accountant who knows things about employment law etc and he reckons that I havent done anything wrong and he will be on their case.
    He also said taht the way they sent me home (impromptu and without a written explanation) is wrong.

But thanks for the advice guys.
  • Options
    Mylo_B wrote: »
    I didn't lie everything I said was true I just gave them half the picture to begin with then expanded on it when asked later.
    I didnt tell them to begin with because it looks like I have a problem with authority if I start calling my manager a bully.

I have spoken to my mothers accountant who knows things about employment law etc and he reckons that I havent done anything wrong and he will be on their case.
    He also said taht the way they sent me home (impromptu and without a written explanation) is wrong.

But thanks for the advice guys.

It is "wrong" as in not great but it's not "wrong" as in legally. You would have been in a probationary period, when normally you can be terminated without much notice. I find it highly doubtful that you would benefit from pursuing any legal routes here.

What you did was essentially a lie of omission. I can see why you would have done it, it's just a bad break in the fact that the company has chosen to dig deeper, not every one would and not every one would have cared, but this one did.
  • Options
    How come your employer asked for a reference only after you got the job offer? I thought that taking referees was part of the application process, and you need a good reference before they take you on.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    How come your employer asked for a reference only after you got the job offer? I thought that taking referees was part of the application process, and you need a good reference before they take you on.

Many places make an offer, subject to satisfactory references. You can easily have started before the references arrive.
  • Options
    Ah I didn't realise that it's normally in written format Big Gay. The reason being is because when I was looking for my last job, I asked my old boss if he's been asked for any references of me yet? He responded - "yeah I had a couple of phone calls", so that's why I thought that most references were carried out over the telephone. Hell, I don't even have the address for my immediate last boss because our place went into liquidation = therefore no address.