Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Lost: the final series *may contain spoilers*

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I can't believe there's no discussion on this yet - does that mean nobody's watching it? I hope not! Are people watching it online or waiting for the UK version?

Please don't post actual spoilers in here (i.e. things that haven't been shown yet, rumours or leaks).

So far this series has been amazing... so many questions answered! Sayid is still a badass... maybe Jack will be a hero after all... Jacob vs the Man in Black (MIB/Smocke/Smokey)... :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    haven't seen a single episode.
    It's over! What an ending! What a beautiful finale :)
    I loved it, i watched the last 10 minutes twice, aah it was so good! My mum hated it though but we had both different theories and mine fitted better than hers :D

I'm glad i have the box sets, I'm so watching it over again!
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    The ending was a bit of a cop-out and there are still questions left unanswered =\
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Dr Pirate wrote: »
    The ending was a bit of a cop-out and there are still questions left unanswered =\
    Supposedly though, it was never about the questions.

I've got mixed feelings. I can't say I'm not disappointed we didn't get answers (I'd be satisfied with just knowing about the light and the smoke), but I can't say I didn't love the ending either.
    If they gave us all the answers we would have found it shit as we wouldnt have been able to use our own imagination, and if the answers were different from what we expected, would have felt it shit.

So all in all, it was the dogs dream?
    Fantastic last episode - it answered enough to satisfy, but still left enough ambigious. And I loved how they managed to get so many of the characters back for the final scene...

Got to be on my top five series endings...
    I thought the finale was a reminder that the show was more about the characters than the weird and wonderful plot. I just accepted the unanswered questions.
    The fact that there was so much going on in lost, from start to finish, was a good thing. After all when a very small coincidence occured, small enough to be innocuous but big enough to notice, it made it al the more worthwhile.
    I've been defending the Lost finale left, right and centre to my friends and family, because I think it was beautifully written, beautifully acted, and the best they could have done, with everyone knowing full well they had no answers to the questions that were raised early on.

Critically speaking, they tried to trick it's audience. They set up season 6 perfectly for the ending... and ending to which they had no answers for - they shifted the focus. It was about the characters all along, apparently. Okay, it's a tactic, but a good one - I can roll with that.
    They used emotional scenes to cover up the unsolved mysteries, and gave the viewers emotional satisfaction. For some, it worked, for others, it didn't.

It worked for me, because i kind of went in knowing we weren't going to get answers. I don't think I've 'wasted' 6 years watching this show. When it comes down to it, it was fucking awesome at it's best, and still tops 90% of shows on television even at it's worst.

In the season finale there was happiness, sadness, tension, redemption, reunions (Sawyer and Juliet... my favourite moment) , and there was closure. There were plot holes, and lots of things that didn't add up (in the finale itself, never mind the series)... but, I was happy. It was beautiful, and I'm not going to lie - I cried. More than once. Any show that evokes that kind of emotion from me deserves my credit. So, I say bravo.

RIP LOST, there'll never be a show quite like it. :(
    I got so confussed!
    What were the numbers about?
    The dharma thing?
    Polar bears?
    What happened to the others?
    Information overload!
    :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: Claire and Charlie :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

I almost cried then, but otherwise not once! Fecking Anti-Ds for you. Why wasn't Walt and whassis name there at the end?
    I've missed most of the past 2 seasons, but I watched the final and it was beautiful. Sawyer and Juliet was such a beautiful moment :'(

Can someone tell me what the deal with Sayid is? I have no idea what happened to him.
    bleepy wrote: »
    The dharma thing?
    Polar bears?
    Information overload!
    There are a few bits of information on the numbers, but no complete explanation. The producers said they didn't want to completely explain the numbers, lest they remove the mysticism surrounding them, like the 'midichlorians' did with the Force in Star Wars.

The numbers represented the remaining candidates to replace Jacob - each had their own number. Jack was 23. They also give the latitude and longitude of somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.

The Dharma Initiative discovered the numbers using the Valenzetti Equation, which predicted that the world would end, unless the equation could be changed. That was their reason for being on the island.

The polar bears were brought to the island by the Dharma Initiative, and subsequently escaped from their cages to roam the island.

Most of the Others were killed in the temple by the smoke monster. The remaining Others were those who chose to follow the smoke monster/Locke. Most of these were presumably killed in a mortar attack by Charles Whidmore, where he tried to kill Locke. Those still alive after the mortar attack scattered into the jungle, and possibly came under the leadership of Hurley as the new Jacob.
    how do you imbed a link like that?
    Can someone tell me what the deal with Sayid is? I have no idea what happened to him.
    Sayid was shot by Ben's father, and was close to death. He was taken to the temple, where the Others submerged him in a pool in an attempt to save him. Sayid died in the pool, but some time later came back to life. After this he was supposedly different or evil. He eventually gave in to this fate and joined the smoke monster/Locke, carrying out his will. However Sayid finally redeemed himself on the submarine, where he saved the other people on board. A bomb was about to explode, so he sacrificed himself by running to the other end of the submarine with it.
    Evenstar wrote: »
    how do you imbed a link like that?
    Highlight the text you want as the link, and click the little globe icon to insert your link.

Or use the code:
    text to show goes here[/url

(but close the square bracket at the end.)
    Highlight the text you want as the link, and click the little globe icon to insert your link.

Or use the code:
    text to show goes here[/url

(but close the square bracket at the end.)

ahhaaa... ace
    bleepy wrote: »
    I got so confussed!
    The dharma thing?
    Polar bears?
    Information overload!

Out of all the questions, these were the only ones that were actually answered.....lol

The numbers were one method used by jacob to influence the Losties in their real lives, amongst other things.
    The last episode of Lost that I watched was I think the end of series 3, where Jack was having 'flashbacks' of him being an alcoholic but it turned out that it wasn't a flashback and that he had actually got off the island I think. Shame it moved to sky else I would have continued to watch it (watched series 3 on disk), I always said it would turn out to be a big dream so I guess I wasn't too far from the truth from what I've read. A really strange series but very good, might have to buy the boxset!
    By the way, I didn't get (or forgot) what happened to the rest of the survivors.
    By the time the time-travelling started, there were 40-something or so of them left. The time-travelling happened only for a few of them (mainly the main characters). What happened to the rest? They were never mentioned again after that.
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    I always said it would turn out to be a big dream so I guess I wasn't too far from the truth from what I've read.
    Everything that happened on the island was real.
    Everything that happened on the island was real.

Ok now I'm confused! I read that they had all died in the plane crash and were living in the afterlife :confused:
    Ok now I'm confused! I read that they had all died in the plane crash and were living in the afterlife :confused:
    Nope that's wrong! There was another timeline of events in series 6, that apparently showed what would happen if the people never went to the island. This turned out to be a kind of limbo place, where they all went after they died - AFTER the events on the island.

I haven't explained very well... it's easier when you've watched it all!

This is what my mum thought. Ive spent ages explaining to her what it was about. She is still confused!
    .Leanne. wrote: »
    This is what my mum thought. Ive spent ages explaining to her what it was about. She is still confused!
    She's not alone, many people thought the same. Which I don't get, as Christian explained it quite well.
    I'm confused also :( Having only watched the last ep of the past 2 seasons, it came across as them all dying in the crash.

Can someone give a quick summary?
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    What I don't get, is why loads of people didn't bother watching the rest of the series, then just watched the final episode. Don't ask silly questions if you don't wanna bother watching the show ;[
    Dr Pirate wrote: »
    What I don't get, is why loads of people didn't bother watching the rest of the series, then just watched the final episode. Don't ask silly questions if you don't wanna bother watching the show ;[

:yes: ;o)

I also get really annoyed when people say it was a crap ending, so i have tried not to talk about it much with people.
    I did try and explain already...