Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

To quit or not to quit?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    geneve wrote: »
    Lyric doesn't seem to understand the true costs involved of independant living, perhaps if she sees her parents working, being paid, budgeting etc, she would recognise this

I doubt it. In my experience most teenagers didn't have a clue of what's involved, regardless of their parents' circumstances.
  • Options
    ^^ Ooo, that's good.

And I know this will be hard, but can anyone suggest another idea?
    This is not my choice.
    I have no choice.
  • Options
    And no, I wouldn't shop my parents.
    To be honest, I DON'T GIVE A FUCK if they are stealing from the Government.
    I give a fuck because it's affecting me and my future.
  • Options
    lyric wrote: »
    And no, I wouldn't shop my parents.
    To be honest, I DON'T GIVE A FUCK if they are stealing from the Government.
    I give a fuck because it's affecting me and my future.

Well you should, the only reason your parents are kicking you out is so they can keep stealing from the goverment.
  • Options
    whooppee shit.
  • Options
    whooppee shit.

so you condone benefit fraud?
  • Options
    And, hardly, how much do you think you have actually paid, the net effect of the life you've led so far and the taxes you've paid? I don't think they've stolen anything from you, geneve.
  • Options
    It sounds like less a case of benefit fraud and more a case of benefit mismanagement.
  • Options
    im really offended and shocked that some people not only would shop their own parents, but would encourage others to aswell. What is this? Orwells 1984?
    They cant steal from you something that was never yours. You dont have a say how your tax money is spent, and you dont get any reimbursements for shopping your friends/family. You lose, they lose, the government gains. ooooh you good citizen you, with no friends because youre a judgemental cunt
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    It sounds like less a case of benefit fraud and more a case of benefit mismanagement.

How so? I mean you may be right but all I can see here is her mum claiming benefits but no declaring two things, 1 - her daughter working, (which heck she may be entitled to without little/no impact to the benefits but not declaring it is benefit fraud) and 2 - Not declaring her father lives there.

You may well be right, with her earning so little it may be mismanagement and she may be entitled for it all but surely the DWP should know and assess the situation.
  • Options
    im really offended and shocked that some people not only would shop their own parents, but would encourage others to aswell. What is this? Orwells 1984?
    They cant steal from you something that was never yours. You dont have a say how your tax money is spent, and you dont get any reimbursements for shopping your friends/family. You lose, they lose, the government gains. ooooh you good citizen you, with no friends because youre a judgemental cunt

I have never said they're stealing from me SCC, I believe Geneve said, but they are stealing from the Goverment.

I have a respect for law, regardless of who it is, they are not above the law. If this is the case does that mean it is okay for MP's to claim hundreds of thousands (combined) if not millions of expenses? Its the same thing, it's the goverment money.

SCC, I would also say I don't that I know of have any friends who commit benefit fraud, neither would I want any.
  • Options
    no because theyre already priveleged rich bastards screwing us all over, yet a few people scamming a few extra quid, yet still very probably living close to the poverty line are seen as worse
  • Options
    no because theyre already priveleged rich bastards screwing us all over, yet a few people scamming a few extra quid, yet still very probably living close to the poverty line are seen as worse

I understand your point, so your opinion is more of a robin hood style, steal from the rich and give to the poor.. what about the other people who could use that money? the legitimate cases? what do you really think would happen to that money if it wasn't "scammed", I do not believe it'd end up in some politicians pocket. but then I might just be that Nieve and believe it'd go to a good cause..
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I understand your point, so your opinion is more of a robin hood style, steal from the rich and give to the poor.. what about the other people who could use that money? the legitimate cases? what do you really think would happen to that money if it wasn't "scammed", I do not believe it'd end up in some politicians pocket. but then I might just be that Nieve and believe it'd go to a good cause..

well not really, but i find it hard to get worked up about the odd person on the scam. I really dont think of it as a huge moral outrage.
    I think people are better off working, and its better for the country etc, but i think the problems with people on long term benefits are much more complex than this is right and this is wrong
  • Options
    Considering pay UK higher band tax and only spend about 3 months a year there and have private health care....
    For 20 hours a week unskilled labour?
  • Options
    well not really, but i find it hard to get worked up about the odd person on the scam.

But it isn't just the Odd person. its thousands of people. I mean why is it okay for the Odd person to do it and not others.

Long term benefits, again yes I agree it is complex but people do screw it,

The odd bit here and there adds up and could help other people. The benefit system in this country is being abused, both illegally and legally. For example if I quit my job I would get around the same as I get from work, if not more. I mean surely this is only encouraging people not to work?
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    For 20 hours a week unskilled labour?

Sorry but isn't it Lyric who has the 20hours a week unskilled labour work?
  • Options
    Sorry but isn't it Lyric who has the 20hours a week unskilled labour work?

yes but geneve thinks everything is all about her
  • Options
    yes but geneve thinks everything is all about her

No I actually believe Big Gay's comment was directed at her and he misinterpreted and though Geneve only worked 20hr a week in an unskilled labour position.
  • Options
    For example if I quit my job I would get around the same as I get from work, if not more. I mean surely this is only encouraging people not to work?
    Its called the poverty trap. There are many many people who would be financially worse off working than they are on benefits. You see it a lot with young families.
  • Options
    No I actually believe Big Gay's comment was directed at her and he misinterpreted and though Geneve only worked 20hr a week in an unskilled labour position.

i took it that big gay was talking about the OP
  • Options
    and there are many complex reasons why people might not have pride or self belief in their potential
  • Options
    Hence where an individual's self respect and pride SHOULD kick in, not to mention their drive for the future.

Maybe their self-respect and pride has kicked, where they have made the judgment that their family would be better off with more direct contact between parent and child, and not wanted to work to line someone else's pockets?
  • Options
    Its called the poverty trap. There are many many people who would be financially worse off working than they are on benefits. You see it a lot with young families.

Yes I agree it is a trap SCC, I am one of those that are.. but surely self respect should mean you work harder to get a better job, move up and get more money.

When I first started working a few years ago I earn about half of what I did.

Yes things were hard, it still is at times, yes I admit I get help from the goverment but I work to overcome and to make it so one day I will not need help.

I understand that NOT everyone can do what I did.. I don't expect them too. I also understand those who earn more on benefits legitimately than by working are entitled to them. it's the governments fault if they allow it.

but not declaring or lying to the government. surely you must see it as wrong?

If the government allows people to not work and earn more in benefits, fine, thats up to the government, I cannot really argue much there. but my arguement is with those who choose to lie and steal. it is theft regardless of the reasons behind it

I get my point has two arguments and two situations are being argued across here.

1 - Legitimate benefits, maybe for the wrong reasons but the government chooses to give them legitimately.
    2 - Illegal benefits, those who choose to lie to the government to get more.

It is the latter I am trying to argue about is wrong and I'd shop in. the first. I find is immoral and maybe I do not agree with, but I have no right to argue there. they are claiming legitimately and legally.
  • Options
    i took it that big gay was talking about the OP

No, it was my mistake - I didn't take the time to work out what geneve was saying here:
    Or maybe it's me that needs one, renting and supporting a flat on 20 hours of unskilled work a week, why the hell am I working so hard then?!
  • Options
    Bit less time rushing into the workplace and a bit more time in education could have sorted out the ambiguous use of English...
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Bit less time rushing into the workplace and a bit more time in education could have sorted out the ambiguous use of English...

Is that directed at me Katralla? if so. I spent quite some time and (still try to) learning, unfortunately I do admit english isn't my strong point, need a computer stripping and built, I'd gladly do that, maths, fine, Science, easy, Technology. piss easy.

Unfortunately I cannot be good at everything.

If it wasn't directed at me, sorry!
  • Options
    but then she couldn't spend 380 pounds on a pair of shoes, whilst bemoaning the fraction of a penny of her higher rate tax that Lyric's parents are stealing from the state
  • Options
    I'm just a bit confused now.
  • Options
    And really, scrounging off benefits to spend more time at home with your kids? Is that really what the majority of benefit fraudsters are doing, I don't think so.

Firstly, scrounging is a very loaded term, I think you mean claiming. Secondly, how exactly would you know who is claiming benefits and what they spend their time doing? It's not like you can smell the benefit claimants when you walk past them in the supermarket.