Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Samaritans response time?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This evening I'm feeling pretty rubbish, so I sent them an email, its been a few hours an no reply :(, i wasn't able to phone. Just wondering how long it usually takes them....silly though...maybe my email wasn't worthy enough for help....straight to delete probably. :crying:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In the past anywhere between 2 and 9 hours.

They wouldn't have put your email in delete pile, they read everything carefully.

I hope you're feeling ok sweetescape.
    they read everything and will reply to everything. should reply within 24 hours. If you need a fast reply its best to phone. They sometimes will phone people back if you need them to
    I wasn't able to phone, if i could have phoned I would have. :banghead:
    I just went to sleep for a long time, only just woke up. Wish I hadn't. Still no reply. I can't talk to friends because I promised myself I wouldn't be a burden to them.
    When I have emailed them it has taken a while to respond, but never more than their promised 24 hours. Hopefully it'll be with you soon!

I understand why you may not want to tell friends, but how about posting it on here?
    You can text them too, they reply within a few hours. And for the emails. anything from half hour, to 24.
    Xx
    When I have emailed them it has taken a while to respond, but never more than their promised 24 hours. Hopefully it'll be with you soon!

I understand why you may not want to tell friends, but how about posting it on here?

Hopefully, thanks for the offer of posting on here. But it's not really one thing, or anything really. I can't explain, I should be happy and I'm not. I have good friends, good family, a good job, a good uni offer. So I don't really have a reason. It comes and goes, I'll just have to wait it out.
    :heart::)
    AHL wrote: »
    :heart::)

Feeling a bit better..but then I've had a drink so that's probably the reason.
    Probably crash later. *sigh*
    Trying to distract myself watching TV.
    *hugs* :heart:
    Email Sent: 01 March 2010 23:18:09, lets just say it puts me off ever contacting anyone again. :impissed: . I guess you can't care for someone you don't know.
    I wouldn't write it off just yet, I'm sure you wil get a reply.
    Thats a real shame :( Normally they respond a lot quicker. Dont forget the samaritans are all volunteers who give their time for free. Sometimes there may be a higher email volume than others. If they havent replied then they just havent read it yet, because they dont ever disregard emails theyve read.Theyre not allowed to.
    Its nothing to do with what youve actually written.
    Its mainly a phone service though, and if you called someone youd get a response straight away. Emails take a lot longer because they wait for times of low call volume to do the emails
    They took quite a while to reply to me via email. I've heard using the text number is much quicker. x
    Ugh I just got some bad news :( I was friends with a guy then he got found out to be looking at indecent images of children/videos. Anyway he got a 6 month sentence and is in the uk register. It appears as though he's back online which is how I knew him.
    Brings back some awful memories and now I've frigging cut again. I hate him, I hate him and I hate the reaction he can get out of me now.
    and still no email.
    have you checked your junk folder?
    Yes.yes.yes. I'm not thick.
    sorry, wasnt implying you were.
    It's a shame this has been your experience this time. You could try resending the email. I know it's not great they didn't respond but I doubt whatever mistake made that happen, would happen a second time.
    im also 100% sure it IS NOT a intentional error/ignoring you, i promise you the Samaritans will never ignore you.
    i've emailed the samaritans a good few times in the past and they've always got back to me within 24 hours.

i'm sure they aren't ignoring you. they've probably got a staffing issue or something.
    Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience...

You said you weren't able to call them... but are you able to do so now?
    sorry, wasnt implying you were.

Sorry I was in a bit of a snappy mood this morning, only got 4 hours sleep.

But I've been feeling good today, the intense feeling of wanting to..end things has taken a back seat. So I don't think ringing them would be very helpful. I'm not sure whether it was cutting last night or the lack of sleep, sometimes it makes me feel better. Random I know.
    Sorry I was in a bit of a snappy mood this morning, only got 4 hours sleep.

But I've been feeling good today, the intense feeling of wanting to..end things has taken a back seat. So I don't think ringing them would be very helpful. I'm not sure whether it was cutting last night or the lack of sleep, sometimes it makes me feel better. Random I know.

it's good you feel better but having a reply waiting for you in the wings so to speak from the samaritans might make you feel more supported, have you tried re-sending? i'm sure it's just an error
    you dont have to be suicidal to call them.
    I think it would be a good idea if you did.
    does anyone know the text number for them? im in northern ireland tho and ive never heard it so i dont even know of it will work..
    I'm pretty certain it's still 07725 90 90 90 and the number covers the whole of the UK, including NI
    I have spoken to one of the volunteers, i don't now how much its helped. I've spoken to online friends about problems and feelings before. It doesn't actually change anything.

I've had 4 hours sleep worked a full 6 hour shift, ran 1 mile and it's now 3am and i'm still not tired. :\ nooooo rest for the wicked!

blah, blah. Watching loads of QI, mega bored.
    Felt okay for 3ish days, now its hit me again. I don't want to go to sleep. I'm tired, tired of waking up and still being me. Talking doesn't help, i feel like i've talked all I can, never changes anything. You can't change you, i can't pull out my brain and go get a new one. i'm tired, please, i'm so tired.
    babe im really tyred to but i cant sleep, and i cant talk either because it doesnt change who i am. I wish i could say something to help but instead i will just send big *HUGGGGGS* if you want to talk or anything then private message me x