Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Block P2P - Help with my results.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For my work I was asked to look into blocking P2P or file sharing on our "Free Public Wifi" network, I have written a "report" as such, nothing formal, quite the contuary for me to give to my manager, which I do not wish to publish on here but would like some opinions.

anyone with at least some knowlege would like to help and proof read for me? I believe I made sense, its due on monday anyway.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Basically, you have no chance. However, there are commercial solutions which promise to try.
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Basically, you have no chance. However, there are commercial solutions which promise to try.

Really? the solutions i have put on my "report" are

1 - Blocking ports (easy but not very effective)
    2 - Ad Hoc network, run the wifi through a linux machine using Linux QoS/Net Filter and L7 Application Layer Packet Classifier
    3 - Ad Hoc network through a windows machine and use a software firewall to block outgoing communications from applications (and allow known/allowed applications) (this is the one i am not sure if it'll work)
    http://serverfault.com/questions/82055/block-p2p-downloading-in-my-office

Check out this link, it has some good info on this topic.
    Hellfire I can help if you email it to me, I know several systems engineers / administrators for medium sized companies where something like this is fairly routine.

I think the popular thing they normally talk about is group policy for restricting what users can do. But I'll ask them :-)
    I could have a look, if you want.

Tricky to do, I expect. Wouldmean firewalling off everthing. Even then I think some stuff will piggyback over http ports, making it more difficult.
    Cheers guys, I know I asked late but it was dealt with today so sorted,

funny enough out of the methods I've chosen they've decided just to block the ports, leaving a handful of ports open (msn, aol, yahoo, gtalk) however torrents still work, i got a peak of 25kbs with an avg of around 10kbs (with it going via HTTP 80/81), however we're hoping slow speeds will deter them..
    The other simliest method after blocking ports would be to block hostnames of popular torrent sites.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    The other simliest method after blocking ports would be to block hostnames of popular torrent sites.

Done, but people also use programs such as "kazza, limewire" etc which can use randomized ports, also it doesn't stop them downloading or getting emailed the torrent. I know the torrent site I use has a facility where you Email them and they email a copy of the requested torrent to you.
    I think there was a way to block certain programs from running scripts online via a router firewall or something like that. May be worth some looking into.
    The best people to get in touch with for advice would quite probably the people who supply broadband internet to schools. From what I've seen, even if you use the broadband over Wifi using a mobile phone it's still heavily restricted. They also provide the software necessary to block additional sites and to grant temporary access to sites that are already blocked.
    this thread is old..