Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Virus and msn?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well... I was doing some downloading, and have got a virus. So far it's deleted 3 Trojans, but I can't get onto MSN or internet explorer. I've changed to google chrome and ebuddy. MSN has told me that it's my firewall settings.. but they were fine before and I haven't changed them!
So, I'm guessing I shouldn't change them but then it wont let me on MSN. Help?
Xx

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    MSN sometimes just won't connect, but IE not working at the same time is suspicious. Are you sure the virus has been deleted? What anti-virus are you using?
    Try this program as well. I'm not advertising or anything, but I've found that it finds many things that even some professional AVs don't.

Oh, and do yourself a favour and stop using IE, even if it starts working again. ;)
  • Options
    What has every one got against IE? haha.
    And, it's found 5 Trojans now. I have mcAfee (I don't like it, I had avast on my old laptop.) I am scanning it though... and I will check out that programme, thanks.

EDIT: The scan found nothing... aparantly. So I've downloaded the free version of avast.
    Xx
  • Options
    The avast scan, and this is only a quick scan, has found 20 infected files...
    That'll teach me for downloading haha xD
    Xx
  • Options
    What has every one got against IE? haha.

And, it's found 5 Trojans now. I have mcAfee (I don't like it, I had avast on my old laptop.) I am scanning it though... and I will check out that programme, thanks.

EDIT: The scan found nothing... aparantly. So I've downloaded the free version of avast.
    Xx
    The avast scan, and this is only a quick scan, has found 20 infected files...
    That'll teach me for downloading haha xD
    Xx

You've answered your own question there... for years, it's been the most-targeted and exploitable browser and has caused many people many problems as a result

Too many people think that worrying over trojans and virus infections is normal, and an expected way of life with using a computer... :)
  • Options
    Haha, well I've got rid of them now (well, not yet, they are in the virus chest) So it's all good.
    Xx
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    You've answered your own question there... for years, it's been the most-targeted and exploitable browser and has caused many people many problems as a result
    Not to mention that it has one huge security hole which is not going to be plugged in the foreseeable future: ActiveX.
  • Options
    Msn still wont work. Annoyed. haha

Xx
  • Options
    When IE has a problem and you've found a virus, you know you have more than your AV has found. Since IE is built into the OS that's why it has so many problems. Just like Safari does with MacOS.

You won't get rid of a virus by just scanning. Post some names of the viruses you have found, that'll help determine where and what is saving the infections. ALSO disable your internet as you scan, you're only allowing backdoors to download more.
  • Options
    You've mentioned using McAfee, then Avast. You might have already done it, but just in case, I need to advise you that you should only have one antivirus running on your PC. If you have two running, they will fight over each other and will make the computer run slow. I'm glad that you think that Avast is the better of the two, so just stick to that one if you haven't already done so. Avoid Norton and McAfee at all costs - they are system hoggers. Oh, and any version of F-Secure below 2008 - FS 2008 onwards were more more slimline.
  • Options
    Heyy,
    Yeah I have avast on, and mcaffee off.
    And- JK, I got rid of the viruses. On avast you put them in the virus chest, or delete them. I put them in there for further testing, and then deleted them straight off...
    Right this is the thing with msn... I can't uninstall msn, I followed what it says to do on the website and I looked on others too. So, I can't uninstall it, but because it is on my computor I cant download it. It is very annoying.
    Xx
  • Options
    Use a program like your uninstaller to see if that'll shift it.

I would still be paranoid of the viruses coming back, it could be laying dormant on your computer or your AV isn't picking anymore up. That's why I don't bother with any AV's, I just watch what I download and use a good browser.
  • Options
    Start up in safe mode (hit F8 as the PC starts) and run a virus scan. This can sometimes find more than from a normal startup.
  • Options
    Haha, yeah see I do a bit of downloading from websites I shouldn't haha. Normally, everything is fine, but it only takes one virus to destroy everything.
    This isn't my laptop though, I broke mine... long story... and I had better AV on there than on here.
    Thanks everyone x
    Xx
  • Options
    The best way to protect against dodgy sites (apart from not visiting them in the first place ;)) is to use Firefox and an addon called NoScript. Set it to "forbid scripts globally" if you plan to visit dodgy sites, and it will prevent them from installing viruses and such.
  • Options
    chances are the Virus will be laying dorment in a systems directory ready to reinstall itself in due time.

There is a particularly nasty virus out there atm called IS2010 or "fake antivirus 2010" and i've seen a lot of systems near enough killed with it.
  • Options
    The Antivirus 20XX range is a bitch, I've never removed it to the point where the system was totally clean from it. I justreinstall the OS if something like that is installed. My cousin has installed it twice, he just doesn't listen.

And psh, Firefox :p Oprea ;)
  • Options
    Does Oprea have spell-check? Firefox does :p
  • Options

Apparently Firefox's spellchecker doesn't work too well... :p:D
  • Options

wat do ya men bod, workz gud 4 me
  • Options
    Okay I tried to post an image in reply but it won't work. :(
  • Options
    Okay I tried to post an image in reply but it won't work. :(

Something along the lines of "Click is anally-retentive and needs to get a life"?

;)
  • Options
    Something along the lines of "Click is anally-retentive and needs to get a life"?

;)
    I wanted to point out that my error was intentional... but I wasn't sure if you got the joke! (See JavaKrypt's post)
  • Options
    Sorry, I've been on the terrible cider... ;)
  • Options
    Yeah it does. I'm not a fan of Opera 10.5 (beta), I'm sticking to 10.10 for the meantime.
  • Options
    Click - if your Firefox language is having spelling issues, then make sure that you're not using the US English language. When you type a wrong word, right click it and it'll drop down with language options, and if it's US, then it will point you to the Mozilla mod/extensions site. You can download UK English in exactly the same way as if you're downloading Adblock or another mod.
  • Options
    Not me, it was in reference to "Opera" spelt as "Oprea"... ;)
  • Options
    Spell check doesn't work on TheSite with quick-reply. I barely ever use advanced. It only works once you post, and click edit. (A bug with TS, not Opera.)