Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Comfort eating and Sleeping difficulties

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been soo stressed recently - had so much work and i cant get over falling out with my friend and i've not been coping well. I havent s/h:) but i've been eating way too much chocolate and i can't seem to stop. also, i've not been sleeping well - havent had more than 7 hours sleep every night for about 2 weeks now, and when i do sleep i get really vivid dreams:( Anyone got any advice, please!?

xxx

Comments

• Options
    :wave: Hi its ME:wave: ,

Im sorry to hear that you are feeling low and stressed at the moment. I have added some information about Anxiety and stress and Sleeping for you to have a look at in your own time.

I hope this has been helpful, I hope that things are looking up for you soon. Keep posting and let us know how your getting on:) .

Take care
    B
  • Options
    Lack of sleep does really strange things to you, i had a period of time where i could not sleep for more than 3 or 4 hours due to various problems, it got to the point where i was so tired and so misreable it was affecting my life on a daily basis, the first thing i had to do was tackle the problems that were causing me stress then i started going to bed about an hour or so earlier it meant missing some telly and time online etc but i was so fed up i just didnt care i found by going earlier i could get some qualoty sleep i was still waking up early but i had got enough hours in, now i find i sleep right through sometimes ten hours and i feel sooo much better. If your comfort eating before bed then will certainly not help I am guessing your breaking up with your friend is behind this can you not make peace im sure that would help. I comfort eat as well i know its not healthy but i feel it is better than some other ways of coping i dont do choclate though for some reason i eat piles of toast.
  • Options
    Did the poor sleeping coincide with your binge eating of chocolate? Because chances are the two are connected. Chocolate contains caffeine (albeit only tiny amounts) and the alkaloid Theobromine which means that chocolate can act as a mild stimulant, so like other stimulants it's best avoided before bedtime or in large amounts. So I'd personally advice working on addressing/improving your diet (along with any underlying stress) first, as you'll probably find that your sleep then also improves.
  • Options
    thanks guys.

I did kinda make up with my friend, but we're still really distant and stuff:( and she's the only one i could talk to about this. but the argument is definately the main cause of the stress - i had a nightmare about it and then just bad dreams every night after that.

As to the chocolate, i normally eat it in the evenings to try to stay awake but it makes me feel really sick when i eat too much...

Am going to try to start having earlier nights, but im not looking forward to it!

xxx