Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Heavy Rain - In two minds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey all,

Heavy Rain (PS3) is due out in just two days now, and it's the only upcoming game I've really been watching (except Bioshock 2, which is already here). It's the type of game I've been waiting for, a modern revial of classic interative fiction games, like the text based equivilant of the 80's and early 90's - but much more relatable, visual and accesible.

I've looked at plenty of reviews, and all of them are positive, most very positive. But there is one major problem with it:

Heavy Rain claims to be a movie experience, but, obviously - it's presentation isn't up to movie standard. Fine. But, at the same time - it's gameplay isn't up to par with modern standards. The main reason is, and even the playable demo showed, backed by reviews - most scenes are relatively inconsequential.

The scene where the detective goes to the hotel to speak to the prostitute for information regarding a murder - and is then attacked by a client. I played it through twice, first time, properly - second time I put the controler down and let the attack scene play out by itself.

Consequence was pretty much none, the only perciveable difference was the guy either ran away, or walked away and I had a bloody nose.

That's not a game, is it?? Some reviews highlight the same issue, but across the entire scope of the game.

What do you think? Will you be buying heavy rain?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I will get it eventually, I have no doubt about that (but probably not right away, I wait a bit for PS3 games so the price drops).
    This was a demo however, you don't know if/how this will affect things later in the story. And even if it doesn't, it's not necessarily a bad thing.
  • Options
    I love what they've done in the past so I'll be interested to play it. One thing I have heard is that the changes during the game, though small at the time do have later remifications so it'll be interesting to see how true that is.

As long as they don't suddenly have it all turn into an episode of the X-files and decide the best thing would be to end the game with me running through Area 51 then they've clearly improved on Farenheit
  • Options
    Btw, if you did like text adventures it's well worth checking out what people are doing with the medium these days. The annual Interactive Fiction Competition gets some really interesting entries

http://www.ifcomp.org/

Along with the IF wiki
    http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Main_Page
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    I love what they've done in the past so I'll be interested to play it. One thing I have heard is that the changes during the game, though small at the time do have later remifications so it'll be interesting to see how true that is.

As long as they don't suddenly have it all turn into an episode of the X-files and decide the best thing would be to end the game with me running through Area 51 then they've clearly improved on Farenheit

Yeah,

I think I'll get it. Gonna go round the corner to asda at midnight tonight to get it.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I know people disagree, but Fahrenheit for me was 100% great, story-wise. It seems people don't like how things suddenly take a turn for the paranormal, but I see nothing wrong with this. It makes the story more realistic (for one that includes the paranormal).
  • Options
    I got it the other day, after the store made such a big deal about it being the only one left for miles around - I think it annoyed them that i didn't care - Was i supposed to be grateful???

I asked "oh, supposed to be alright then is it??",
    Check out guy: "Alright... its great, we've sold out of it 3 times, got another lot in today and this is the last one left"
    Me: "Oh right, well i'll dust down the PS and give it a whirl then"

Erm, so far, thinking its absolute gash, its like watching the most mediocre of stories unfold and just having to press R1, Square, tap X, X,X,X,X hold R2
    at various points for it to continue.

But, that said im sure it's going to get better - can't get much worse to be honest.

I'd say i'll keep an open mind, but whenever i say that i remember a fantastic analogy somebody said regarding keeping an open mind to music genres... he just said "Why?? its like sticking your hand into the a fire, realising it hurts, then deciding to keep an open mind to doing it again"