Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

If I die...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
... will my family have to pay back my uni debts? or do they get wiped?
:(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dont know, you arent thinking of dying are you? :(
    I think about death often, and really, it could happen at any moment, like, being hit by a car, jumping in front of a train, overdose, cutting, being killed, random heart attack. whatever. just like, if i come off my bike, or get run over or decide to jump off a bridge.. will my family have to pay my debts? if they're wiped then yeah, death, perhaps that's a good thing. get there anyway, why not go for it now? at least then i have control over when i die and what the situation is.
    i'll have to ask a lecturer.
    Nutter, no body can stop you killing yourself if that is what you are thinking of. But think about your friends and family before hand. I'm sure many people love you and care about you, including people here at thesite.
    Please, speak to a professional and get help if you need it. Don't be affraid to speak out.
    Xx
    Are your debts causing you a lot of problems right now Nutter? If it seems like a lot to handle then bear in mind that there's support for dealing with debt. If you're worried about leaving your family a burden when you die then bear in mind that it, in all honesty, your death would leave them with something they'd never truly be able to repay.

If you'd like to look at your options around debt then why not speak to the CCCS - they've helped lots of people on the boards with problems with money -
    http://www.cccs.co.uk/

Death isn't the goal in life, it's just the final point. You can have control over your life without needing control over your death.

I know you were worried about how you were feeling and were speaking to your doctor, have you spoken to them about how you've been feeling recently?
    thanks for the link.
    yeah sorry, my thoughts get carried away on this stuff sometimes. i should mention this to my shrink next week. :(
    it's still something i'd like to know though.
    Nutter wrote: »
    ... will my family have to pay back my uni debts?

No. The Uni could try to claim back from any estate you leave though
    I think your family is in greater pain if you off yourself so that the uni debts will be insignificant in comparison.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    No. The Uni could try to claim back from any estate you leave though

interesting...
    My studying contract states if I was to die, they can still claim all fees back from me, so like Rubber said, belongings, estate, savings, trust funds etc. Though the contract goes deeper than to to the point of charging my family.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    My studying contract states if I was to die, they can still claim all fees back from me, so like Rubber said, belongings, estate, savings, trust funds etc. Though the contract goes deeper than to to the point of charging my family.

I see...
    ok i've just ended up worrying tutors.

ummm...... i suck....
    Oh, what's happened?
    Hope you are okay :)
    Xx
    i asked one of them my question and they called the mental health and counselling people asking for advice.

i do feel torn in my mind.
    the part of me that hoped is shrinking, the part wants to curl up into a ball and quietly die is growing.
    *Hugs* Nutter, I think you should take the help they offer you, which I'm sure they have offered you. If they haven't, then ask for it.
    You deserve to be happy, and to live a life you enjoy, don't let the world win. Life can be an utter bitch at times! But, if you stop fighting, you let that bitch win.
    Feel free to PM me if you ever get down and just want to chat to someone.
    Xx