Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

essentials for a first time flat

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It is very interesting to see what different people think of as essential :) I have already got a laptop and TV so I have entertainment. I also have some kitchen stuff so I think I will be ok with that.

Think im gonna get a fridge, hoover and microwave first off and then build it up from there. I don't cook much in the microwave but it is cheaper than a cooker first off.

Im hoping to pick most off my stuff up quite cheaply if not free so I will have some more money to get lil bits.

Does anyone know about house insurance? For example what I need etc as Im really not sure.

Thanks

AFA
    Assuming your renting then you will need contents insurance.
    Freecycle can be good for things such a furniture and appliances.
    Many microwaves these days are "combination" microwaves which means they can do all sorts of cooking, grill, microwave or fan assisted convection, in one small sized box.
    corkscrew
    I'm finding more and more wine is screwtop.
    wilkinsons is pretty good for home stuff and quite cheap :) my boyfriend picked up a crockery set for £8 that came with some mugs too. Also things like bleach and household cleaners, toothpaste and toilet roll is really cheap too. Just walking around might give you ideas you had forgotten about.

Whatever you do don't forget washing up liquid or toilet roll :p
    @ Big Gay

Good response :-) I didn't mean any offence (hence the ":-D" symbol at the end), and I now truly understand what you chose for each utensil. E.g. I never thought about cutting out one of the cones from an egg box to serve as an egg cup.
    Whatever you do don't forget toilet roll :p

I agree. I forgot some when I came to uni halls.:blush:
    Monserrat wrote: »
    @ Big Gay

Good response :-) I didn't mean any offence (hence the ":-D" symbol at the end), and I now truly understand what you chose for each utensil. E.g. I never thought about cutting out one of the cones from an egg box to serve as an egg cup.
    Make sure you buy scissors if you want to do that hehe.
    IKEA do sets with plates, bowls, mugs, knives, forks, spoons and I think they also come with wine glasses too.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    @ Big Gay

I took none - as Jim V said, it comes down to what you class as essential - for someone on a very tight budget (such as the OP) and who might find themselves moving several times (or might have to move into someone else's place on a short term (or otherwise) basis - and have to store their things out of the way) I would tend to err on the side of "less is more" - and having got the basics to then get what you discover to be most useful to you.

Cue sob story: for some time in my life what I couldn't fit into a large (100 litre) rucksack, wasn't essential

Cue sob story#2: when him and I bought a house together, we couldn't afford a bed, or cooker, or chairs - we got a second hand microwave and fridge, and I only bought our first washing machine 4 years ago. (I still don't own an iron, but that's not really for financial reasons. It's because they're not ecologically sound. Honest)

I hope the OP can manage my bare essentials list easily, and a lot of the other things too, but not everyone can.
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Make sure you buy scissors if you want to do that hehe.

kitchen knife.

If you cut the top quarter off a fizzy drink bottle, then melt the cut edge so it shrinks, it makes a passable vase.
    I was going to make a thread like this!
    Do you think things like tape measures, jugs, scissors and paper are essentials?