Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Any equine enthusiasts?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Just wondered if anyone had a passion for horses. I have two of my own and would like to chat with other horsey people :) any replies would be cool.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I've recently started to learn to ride...well 've been having lessons for about 6 months on and off and love it :heart:

Even though im not very good :blush:
  • Options
    I worked at a stables for 3 weeks work experience a few years ago and then studied a lil bit of Equine Studies at college

Really loved it, loved looking after the horses and riding and everything but it was the people who put me off. The people who own horses and teach about them etc are soooo snobby, they look down at you like you're nothing, one of the reasons i hvent gone back to it since
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Really loved it, loved looking after the horses and riding and everything but it was the people who put me off. The people who own horses and teach about them etc are soooo snobby, they look down at you like you're nothing, one of the reasons i hvent gone back to it since

This can be SO true, but it isn't everywhere! I've been to some stables where they look at you like the stuff that comes out of their horse's arse, but some stables are really lovely and friendly. If you're interested I'd deffo suggest trying a few different places to find a good one.

I've ridden (never owned, although I'd have loved to - could never afford it) on and off for the last 18 years. Off at the moment, obviously, but am secretly hoping that when baby girl gets old enough I can get her into it, and we can convince Mr K to let us have a lovely hairy little pony! ;)
  • Options
    hehe I feel so spoilt! :O I've had a pony or a horse since I was 5 (now 16) and I love *almost* every minute of it. There is a huge sense of freedom when you jump on the back of your 16.3hh horse that you know inside out and playing around in the school or the field. Its amazing what horses can achieve with much patience. My mare used to be a showjumper, imported from Belgium and sold over here. Recently I have decided to turn my attention to dressag and she loves it :D

I would encourage anyone wishing to take up riding to go for it. I understand fully the financial side of things and I know it doesnt suit everyone. but I love my horses! and my mum is very involved with my horses as she mucks out through the week for me :blush: but I do have school though :chin:

sorry this pot is completely random. But I've had a stressful day and talking about horses makes me happy
  • Options
    Theres someone else on these boards thats a bit of a horse rider, I'll tell them to have a pop into this thread :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I ride from time to time. Me and some of the lads go out with the girls in the summer and ride from pub to pub across the forest. Not an expert by any means. My mother and sister used have a couple of horses. Always prefered my transport with an engine
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I have horses. :) Four atm, but soon two as the ponies are being stend to a treking center in Langley. I compete in just about most events. But I really love eventing. Thanks Mr G for posting me this.
  • Options
  • Options
    Tbh i never found the 'donkey work' that bad. Ok i only did it for 3 weeks out of the summer, but me n 2 others had to do 17 horses and ponies a day in the sweltering heat and apparently I actually lost weight by the end of it! :D
  • Options
    Bit late on the reply here but not really been on much recently.

I'm a horse rider too. Got my own two. One in work, one semi-retired.
    :)
  • Options
    this might sound thick but can you be too fat to ride? ive always wanted proper lessons but im scared i will be told that im too heavy for the horse.
  • Options
    Mummy T has a few racehorses that she co-owns with her mates. Basically allows them to travel the countryside going racing and generally getting merry along the way. It's really good fun.

Whilst I wouldn't say that I do ride, I certainly can. Have been riding since I was wee.
  • Options
    this might sound thick but can you be too fat to ride? ive always wanted proper lessons but im scared i will be told that im too heavy for the horse.

In extreme cases you can, but most people aren't! :)

What you might find, though, is that individual schools have a weight limit. This is because of the horses and ponies they have available. If it's a school that teaches mainly kids, they might have quite a low weight limit because they only have quite small, fine boned ponies that can't carry a great deal of weight, whereas if they've got a wider client base, they're more likely to have a variety. You could always try ringing a few schools near you and asking what their weight limit is? It's not a weird question - they'll be well used to it.

In my experience, the weight limit is usually somewhere between 15-18 st. They will ask your height and weight, as well, if you want to book a lesson, so be prepared. They're not trying to be awful or rude, they just need to know to match you with the right horse.
  • Options
    I own a horse although I've kinda lost my passion for the sport. I can't really bear to sell him though, I've owned him since he was 4.

Now he's prancing about in a field on a summer/winter break. Extended since I'm planning to go on maternity leave in January. I doubt he'll complain. ;)