Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

When can you have bonfires?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya, just after abit of advice.....

Our next door neighbour has bonfires all the time, and I mean all........ this morning went to feed the rabbits at 9.30, oh and guess what, I can smell fire!! Last night took my uncle home..... oh I can smell fire again:mad:

I dont mind in winter, cos we dont go outside much and dont want to hang washing out... I can remember coming back from a BBQ last year and they had a bonfire at 7pm, all my washing was out still I had to re wash it.

Is there time restrictions? When I was younger I think it was like after 8pm in summer????

Thankyou.

EDIT: I have looked on the enviroment agency website and cant find any info.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://www.walsall.gov.uk/index/environment/pollution/garden_bonfire_faq.htm

When is it lawful to have a bonfire?

One of the most common misconceptions is that garden bonfires can be lit quite freely after 6pm. There are no specified times when you can or cannot have a bonfire, it’s a matter of being reasonable.

What is the law?

The statutory nuisance provisions of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 apply. If you have a bonfire so frequently or of such intensity that it would be unreasonable to the “ordinary reasonable person” then that is a statutory nuisance.

What does that mean?

It means that the Local Authority can serve an Abatement Notice on you requiring you to cease the nuisance. Failure to comply with the Notice will result in prosection with a maximum fine of £5000 plus a daily penalty. In addition to the Local Authority any aggrieved neighbour can ask the Magistrates’ for an Order prohibiting you from causing a nuisance.