Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Not voting.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What are your views on this?
I was having this debate with my dad the other day, as he doesn't vote because he "doesn't agree with any of them." He also thinks it is pointless voting for a party such as the green party, as they'll never come into power.

Personally, I would vote for the green party as I do not agree with any of the major parties. I think it's better to vote for someone, than no one at all. Even if they shant come into power. And am I right in thinking there is an option on the ballet paper that you can tick (well, cross) saying you don't want to vote for anyone and that is noted? I can't remember the name of it though.

I was just wondering what your views are on the elections in this country and people who do not vote or vote for smaller parties?
Sorry, this is probably already a thread as well!
Xx

Comments

• Options
    And am I right in thinking there is an option on the ballet paper that you can tick (well, cross) saying you don't want to vote for anyone and that is noted? I can't remember the name of it though.

No, there is no option to abstain.

The closest you can get is to turn up and spoil your ballot paper - say by writing "none of these candiates would reflect my views in parliament" and stuffing it in the ballot box.
  • Options
    ohh yeah that's what I meant Big Gay.. Think that's what my dad does.
    Anyway, what do you think of that? Or just not voting at all?
    Xx
  • Options
    ohh yeah that's what I meant Big Gay.. Think that's what my dad does.
    Anyway, what do you think of that? Or just not voting at all?
    Xx

I consider it my civic duty to attend my polling station, and I usually do so. What I do there is between me, the ballot box, and anyone who cross references my ballot number to the electoral roll.

I'd prefer a STV scheme, so minority parties could be voted for without a vote being particularly wasted.
  • Options
    I think it's fine not to vote if you don't agree with any of the parties. I don't agree with not voting for who you want to vote for because they'll never get elected though. When small parties like the green party suddenly get more votes the government and media become interested in why they've gained popularity, so they don't really need to get elected to have an impact. Also, 100 years ago voting for labour was seen as a waste of time, because they'd never get in.
  • Options
    i always vote, but my boyfriend doesnt.
    I think he should but its his life
  • Options
    In my opinion, it has to be up to the individual..... So I don't believe in compulsory voting which is the case in some countries.

However, I do think that people should vote. I hate it when people complain about the government but then don't vote. Its like… if you hate our current government *that* much, surely there must be a party you’d prefer in place of the current party in power. Meh – I don’t know.

I know who I’m going to vote for… I don’t believe in all of their policies, but they will still get my vote. For me the party has to be more of a “best fit” with my views, rather than a party which I feel fully represents my beliefs… which of course would never happen :P
  • Options
    It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    No, there is no option to abstain.

The closest you can get is to turn up and spoil your ballot paper - say by writing "none of these candiates would reflect my views in parliament" and stuffing it in the ballot box.

It's what I have done in the past and will probably do this time. At the moment none of them represent my views and I'm in one of the safest Tory seats in the country anyway.

Personally I think it's my duty to cast a vote in some form.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.

Ergh sorry, worded badly.
  • Options
    i vote even though i dont agree with any of the major parties because im female and i feel like its my duty, or something like that. i always do it by post, its easier. this year its mainly about not wanting one party to come into power so if i vote for another one at least its one more vote against them. aye.
  • Options
    There's a bit of a political crisis going on in my country (Iceland).

There was an election called prematurely last spring due to the collapse of the financial system here. A party that was known to not have anything to do with it appeared to be going to win quite a victory and me being against that decided to vote for anoher big party in an attempt to reduce the other party's influence. They're now the two parties that form the government (not saying it's thanks to me though ;))

Voting kinda sucks, I don't like it. However, if I am going to criticise the government or opposition, I feel that I need to actually do something to earn the right. If I don't vote (even if just to return an empty ballot) I don't think I have a right to whine about what's going on because I've done naught to change it. Unless people acively go work for parties or create them that are to their liking.

By not going it doensn't say anything. You're just one of those persons that was too lazy to go or possibly thought they were making a statement. Well, you didn't. You just didn't show up.

But like I said things are messed up in my country, one party got 4 people in last spring but they split from the partr and suddenly began voting against everything the people who voted for them wanted. I think a lot of people who thought they were bringing on change feel betrayed. They wanted a different sort of democracy and.... it didn't happen.

I however understand people that don't want to vote. It does feel futile. I just don't know how else you can express yourself in modern society.
  • Options
    What are your views on this?
    I was having this debate with my dad the other day, as he doesn't vote because he "doesn't agree with any of them." He also thinks it is pointless voting for a party such as the green party, as they'll never come into power.

Personally, I would vote for the green party as I do not agree with any of the major parties. I think it's better to vote for someone, than no one at all. Even if they shant come into power. And am I right in thinking there is an option on the ballet paper that you can tick (well, cross) saying you don't want to vote for anyone and that is noted? I can't remember the name of it though.

I was just wondering what your views are on the elections in this country and people who do not vote or vote for smaller parties?
    Sorry, this is probably already a thread as well!
    Xx
    I'm with your old man ...in fact I might put on my slip ....Broken Andels dad.
  • Options
    might be better if you spelt her name right but, then again, no one will take any notice either way, let's all just spray shit in the voting booths and be done with it?
  • Options
    I honestly had no idea beforehand who I'm going to vote for. To complicate things further, I'm now in Northern Ireland and have to learn about a whole new group of political parties.

Expect a decision around the 2015 election...
  • Options
    People have the right to not vote if they dont want to, but it annoys me when people say they dont care at all. The number of people who have died to protect the vote, not just armed forces. The suffrajets (sp?) who died getting the women to vote too.
  • Options
    I cant be bothered to vote, which is terrible since i work in public affairs.

Shit happens. :thumb:
  • Options
    What I really hate is when people complain about the state of the country.. and you go "Who did you vote for then" and they go "Oh, I don't vote."
    I really don't think people can complain about something that they had a choice over, and choose to ignore.
    And MR- don't make my dad anymore big headed than he already is by saying stuff like that haha!
    Xx
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    The number of people who have died to protect the vote, not just armed forces. The suffrajets (sp?) who died getting the women to vote too.

The died so that people could have the right to vote, not so that they could be forced to vote.

In fact you could argue that the armed forces have died so that you have the choice not to vote...
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    The died so that people could have the right to vote, not so that they could be forced to vote.

In fact you could argue that the armed forces have died so that you have the choice not to vote...

Indeed. This means I have the right to vote, and the right not to vote.

But it is still consistent with that to think I also have a duty to vote.

I have a duty to vote, because of the sacrifices others have made so that I can do so, but nonetheless I have a right that you don't force me to vote.
  • Options
    I meant it in the sense of people having the choice to vote, if they dont then its fine, but it annoys me (which I know it shouldnt) when people just dont give a toss. Fair enough choose not to vote, but when people are like "urrm err i dunno" it annoys me.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    I meant it in the sense of people having the choice to vote, if they dont then its fine, but it annoys me (which I know it shouldnt) when people just dont give a toss. Fair enough choose not to vote, but when people are like "urrm err i dunno" it annoys me.

Yeah, I agree. There is a big difference between people who actively make a decision not to vote... and those who are just like "meh".
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If there's a party you agree with, vote for them. If not, make the vote invalid somehow.

Some people say that even if you don't agree with anyone, so you can't vote for the best, you should vote for the least bad. I'm not sure if I agree with that, but so far I haven't done that.
  • Options
    What I really hate is when people complain about the state of the country.. and you go "Who did you vote for then" and they go "Oh, I don't vote."
    I really don't think people can complain about something that they had a choice over, and choose to ignore.
    And MR- don't make my dad anymore big headed than he already is by saying stuff like that haha!
    Xx

You have it arse about tit.
    When the government turn out to be crap ...and they will ...I can blame you people who were dumb enough to vote for them.
    It's not my fault ...I would never sign over my consent to such people.
  • Options
    I always mean to vote but by the time I get around to remembering to register it is too late... it has only been 5 or 6 or so years since I've changed states... one day I'll remember. Not like there is really much of a point in voting in any local or state-wide elections when you reside in the most corrupt state in the nation...
  • Options
    When the government turn out to be crap ...and they will ...I can blame you people who were dumb enough to vote for them.
    It's not my fault ...I would never sign over my consent to such people.

Fair point... so basically children and those who don't vote are the ones saving the country :thumb:
    Do you think that those who can't be arsed to vote can say the same thing? And blame all those that do vote?

Xx
  • Options
    Personally, I'd be happy to replace the "right" not to vote, with a right to abstain.
  • Options
    I'm actually doing a debate on whether voting in European Parliament elections should be compulsory in the UK.

Previously I wasn't in favour of it, but after looking into it, compulsory voting seems to be a good idea.

For a start, there is no compulsion to actually vote for a particular party, simply to go to the polls.
    It does make parliament more representative and democratic, and it also saves money!
    Voter apathy is a big problem, and compulsory voting seems to be the best way of combating it.

And it's worth considering - is voting a civic and moral duty? Especially for those people who receive most help from the state.
  • Options
    How does compulsory voting save money?

I think it is a civic and moral duty, but there are still moral reasons why it should not be legally enforced.
  • Options
    It'sMEE wrote: »
    Voter apathy is a big problem, and compulsory voting seems to be the best way of combating it.

I think people have the duty to vote, but also the right not to vote. Apathy is a big problem, but I really think people would resent the political system even more if they get forced to attend the polling stations. I think there are other ways to solve voter apathy.... it seems that for certain groups of people (young people?) politicians have almost given up, and instead they target their policies at older people since they know they can win their vote. Also education in schools blah blah blah - that is how i got a least a bit interested in politics, realising that actually it does affect me, despite not being able to vote. (Although I can vote this year mwah ha ha)
  • Options
    I would vote, but I like the smaller parties, and it feels like a "wasted vote" almost as they are never going to win or come 2nd, 3rd etc. So yeah, although this year I shall as it is my first General Election that I can vote in.