Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What If....Germany

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What if Germany had beaten England in The second world war?
Would you be a suicide bomber, prepared to sacrifice yourself for your country to rid the Germans off our proud land?

And in the first world war, those thousands of men, running blindly at the machine guns, which mowed them all down. Were they all not just sacrificing themselves?

I know the Palestinian have been talked about on here and some people believe them to be terrorists. but Would you not fight the germans if we had lost the war. would you become a suicide bomber? and would you still see the Germans as human if they burned your towns and killed your loved ones and knows what else.

I'm still stood in the middle as to if the Palestinian are terrorists. I'll see what other people say before I see what side I take.

Comments

• Options
    I am part German so won't answer.
  • Options
    it hasnt happened so y bother?
  • Options
    If it had of happened, we'd of been under German rule for 57 years now and I have a feeling, or at least the hope, that the Nazi reguime would be no more: the German people seeing sense after such a long period. If they hadn't of course there would be opposition in Britain, and Europe wide, I like to think I would be involved ion this, but I guess we'll never know, and that's a good thing. :)
  • Options
    Harmless, bad move...

I wouldn't compare those two cases.
    And I recommend, that íf you do, then do it more specific, so we know exactly what you are on about.
  • Options
    Oh dear, I just realised what the true question was, agreement with Jaqueline, bad move.
  • Options
    True, I should specific what I meant. Imagine if you will then that the year is 1945 and we have lost the war. Your a young man or woman

Would you fight or live by there rule, imagining also that it still the Nazi party in power.

I can see i'm stepping on thin ice but its only a question, and i'm wondering what everyone views are. I don't wish to up set anyone.
  • Options
    I'm not sure why this is a bad move for Harmless; we need to attempt to understand terrorism, and what better way to try to understand than to attempt to empathise with their situation using an example imaginable to us?
  • Options
    if theres a war about anything now i wouldnt wana die 4 it
  • Options
    What you fail to specify in your question is what you mean by 'Germans'....I would glady sacrifice my life to take out german soldiers.....I would not, however, strap a bomb to myself and go after the wives and children of those German soldiers.

The second you start targetting the innocent rather than the soldiers, you become a terrorist.

The Palestinians? I assume you mean groups like Hamas/Isl;amic Jihad rather than the Palestinian people as a whole? If you are undecided on those groups then I had been giving you far more credit than you deserve.
  • Options
    Yes I know they are other issues as well like the terrorist groups

I didn't want to go to far into terrorist groups because we have had terrorist groups working in England for year the IRA. But that a whole different ball park and i'm not even going to there.

I was mainly wondering would you have it in you to stand up for what you believe in and become a suicide bomber?

going off the point for one moment I read a poem a while back, by a man who was in the first world war call Wilfred Owen, its call "Dulce et Decorum Est"

I pretty sure it means, "it is sweet and fitting to die for your country"

on his last verse of his poem he writes

"My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
    To children ardent for some desperate glory,
    The old lie: Dulce et Decorum Est Pro patria mori"
    The second you start targetting the innocent rather than the soldiers, you become a terrorist

But if you become a suicide bomber you don't see any of your enemy as innocent and i dare say all your morals and ethics go out the widow??

(Still imagining) remembering your in a war fighting for your country.
  • Options
    But if you become a suicide bomber you don't see any of your enemy as innocent and i dare say all your morals and ethics go out the widow??

Your argument is just getting bizarre now..Obviously a suicide bomber puts their morals and ethics aside, because they blow up women and children..I really dont see what you are trying to get at here.

Suicide bombing is an incredibly bad way of fighting a war. The only thing those tactics are good for, is killing and terrorising innocents. If there were a foreign army here then I would fight them in the most effective way possible. That would not be suicide bombings.
  • Options
    I'm offended here. What if Germany beat ENGLAND? Ever heard of Scotland, Ireland or Wales? Ever heard of the Allies for that matter?
  • Options
    Originally posted by w0lf
    I'm offended here. What if Germany beat ENGLAND? Ever heard of Scotland, Ireland or Wales? Ever heard of the Allies for that matter?

Grow up and try contributing to the fucking thread..

Are we not allowed to talk about England on its own now? Must we include Scotland and Wales in every single thread we mention England?

The question was 'What if ENGLAND were beaten...Stop jumping the gun...
  • Options
    Fuck you arsehole! ENGLAND would've been beaten if it wasn't for everybody else. i dont want to start of an argument with the English here but you cant stand on your own feet. You need the other countries of the UNITED KINGDOM as much as they need you. I was just making a point, back off
  • Options
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

*waits*
  • Options
    Originally posted by Harmless

I was mainly wondering would you have it in you to stand up for what you believe in and become a suicide bomber?

The statement is a contradiction. I believe in freedom and responsibility for one's actions. Being a suicide bomber isn't standing up for what you believe in, it's just being stupid.
  • Options
    Fuck you arsehole! ENGLAND would've been beaten if it wasn't for everybody else. i dont want to start of an argument with the English here but you cant stand on your own feet. You need the other countries of the UNITED KINGDOM as much as they need you. I was just making a point, back off

lmao, since when do we NEED the other countries, you just give us hassle. MAybe you should try going it alone, see how long Scotland/NI/Wales last then.

As for the main question, things were different back then. I don't recall reading about French suicide bombers, maybe because in Europe we have more intelligence than to blow ourselves up in a futile effort to rid our country of an invading power that is infinitely more powerful than us?

As for the evil nazi hordes, It was one of Hitler's dreams to see the UK and Germany standing side by side. He initially wanted an alliance, and he said if Britain was conquered we would be treated as equals, due to his admiration and respect for the British spirit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

As for the main question, things were different back then. I don't recall reading about French suicide bombers, maybe because in Europe we have more intelligence than to blow ourselves up in a futile effort to rid our country of an invading power that is infinitely more powerful than us?

As for the evil nazi hordes, It was one of Hitler's dreams to see the UK and Germany standing side by side. He initially wanted an alliance, and he said if Britain was conquered we would be treated as equals, due to his admiration and respect for the British spirit.

Hope you are not serious with the last sentence...

The most uncomprehensible thing is indeed the suicide. And it is not a matter of intelligence: Japanese did it as well, and in Europe the one who deliberately gave their life for their country are regarded generally as super patriots, names are given to the streets, etc.

Concerning civilian causalities.. they think they are fighting a war
    and civilian casualities is not an issue that is going to stop from acting.

I'm not defending them but as somedody said before we need to attempt to understand terrorism if we want to stop it.. or not?
  • Options
    I know I didn’t get my point across very well. This is something I will have to work on.I’ll not post on politics until I can do this so. Apologies for trouble I coursed. I only used the Germans (Nazi) in this scenario because its something I think the English (United Kingdom) could relate to. It was more feasible to use them.

I did meanly want to see what people would do if there were in a situation where they were being suppressed by greater power. Perhaps take away all issues of morals and ethics and right and wrong if it make it easier then. And just think on the one issue of suicide bomber

Would you view suicide bombers as a foolish waste of life? Or an act of heroism ?

I’ll pipe down now. Thanks for your replies.
    :)
  • Options

Would you view suicide bombers as a foolish waste of life? Or an act of heroism ?

Foolishness. Not just as a waste of life but foolishness as a military tactic. It has the roots of defeat built into it.
  • Options

Read what I wrote before making yourself look like a penis...I didnt say that England could have stood alone, once again youve seen what you wanted to see in someones post.

Oh and we didnt need you guys during WW2 as all of us were threatened. Dont act as though it was a favour you did for England. We were all in danger and we all pulled together.

As for today....We dont need Scotland and we dont need Wales...England can quite easily stand on her own two feet, if she were allowed.
  • Options

You still need to specify more. Killing yourself along with many enemy soldiers is a very different thing than killing yourself along with many innocent civilians.

The Japanese pilots were worthy of respect. They flew their planes at the most heavily armed ships in the world. They attacked their real enemy, the soldiers..

The middle eastern terrorists target the wives and children of their enemy and that makes them worthy of contempt.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

You still need to specify more. Killing yourself along with many enemy soldiers is a very different thing than killing yourself along with many innocent civilians.

The Japanese pilots were worthy of respect. They flew their planes at the most heavily armed ships in the world. They attacked their real enemy, the soldiers..

The middle eastern terrorists target the wives and children of their enemy and that makes them worthy of contempt.

What is worthy of contempt ?
    the fact that they kill innocent people or the fact that they suicide themselves to do so?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

I don't recall reading about French suicide bombers

Probably on strike :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by bolso

What is worthy of contempt ?
    the fact that they kill innocent people or the fact that they suicide themselves to do so?

That they target innocents.
  • Options

Whereas we just bombed them from 20,000ft during the war...

Sorry Balddog but we cannot claim a "holier than thou" attitude on killing innocents just becuase our method was different, we still killed them, and in greater numbers (and to be honest I have no problem with that).

In answer to Harmless' question, if I had lost all hope and couldn't see any alternative then yes, I would do anything to fight them. But then, if hope is lost, what else is there? I defy anyone here to say that they would happily live under such a regime and wouldn't do whatever was necessary to rid us of such oppression.

The things is, as others have said, it isn't comparable with Palestine - perhaps it was the wording of your question which was wrong.
  • Options
    MOK,

Are you talking about WW2? Times were different back then.

If youre talking about Afghanistan or Iraq...Well then thats down to motivation. We did not deliberately target civilians. We can claim a 'holier than thou' stance, not because our methods are different, but because our motives are different.

I understand that all civilian deaths are horrific but you cannot deny that deliberately targeting them is much worse than accidentally killing them. Obviously not different to the families but on a moral level.

For the record, I would live under a hostile regime before I started deliberately murdering women and children..
  • Options
    MOK,

Are you talking about WW2? Times were different back then.

Maybe it is for us, sitting here in comfort and free from any real form of oppression...

How else is it different?
    If youre talking about Afghanistan or Iraq...

I think you know me better than that.

No bomb can be 100% accurate and even if they are, people like Saddam would make sure that there were innocents in the buildings, just so that he could start pulling at the heartstrings of the left-wing anti-war lobby.

No, I'm talking deliberate targetting. We did that then, happily, and I have no doubt that, if we thought it would achieve a war aim, we would do it again...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Maybe it is for us, sitting here in comfort and free from any real form of oppression...

How else is it different?

I dont mean the situation, I mean whats acceptable. There is no way in hell we would firebomb cities these days. You cant compare the morals of 50 years ago to those of today. Not with the advances in human rights and the like we have had since then.

You have no doubt we would do it again? Im 100% positive that we would not do it again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

No, I'm talking deliberate targetting. We did that then, happily, and I have no doubt that, if we thought it would achieve a war aim, we would do it again...

so we shouldn't be upset when they do it...