Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Drunk and Disorderly Fine...8 monthes later

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi I am new to this board my name is steve and it is great to meet you all and i shall try and be help to any other peoples queries that i can offer good advice on.

Ok now down to the somewhat minor however annoying problem i currently have.

It was around 8 monthes ago when a friend and I where making our way home after a few drinks in town. We decided to get a taxi as was a cold night and couldnt be bothered to walk it. Upon arrival at the taxi rank we were told to wait outside and that taxi would be ready any minute, however once stepping outside we were met about 30 seconds later by around 4 police cars, and this was for no apparent reason.

The police took both my friend and I in the cells for the night, was let go in the morning with a police fine of £80 for drunk and disorderly.

I glanced at the fine only to see they changed the place we were arrested to a different place a short walk down the road in fact. I think this was because we were arrested on private property and not public property which i believe would mean it was not drunk and disorderly as was not on public property.

Anywho, decided ya know just pay the fine and learn the lesson move on, despite the fact I had not commited a crime or broken the law in anyway. I was however not in the financial posistion to pay the fine in full in one go due to being unemployed at the time. I spoke with somebody within the fines department, informed them of the situation and needing to pay in installments, to which i was told that i would have to wait till the current fine expired and became £120 fine then i could pay in installments. Which i think is ridiculous.

So i waited for the new fine to come through, waited and waited and waited some more, and it did not come. I thought perhaps it had been let go. However here we are 8 monthes down the line i get a letter through the post, a fine for £120 which needs to be paid within 10 days.

Now what i really would like is advice regarding whether they can do this, (leave it so long then ask for the money again) possible loopholes as well as what i have to do to actually pay the fine in installments, i have tried various numbers and either cant get an answer or a dead line.

Thanks in advance for any advice given

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    possible loopholes as well as what i have to do to actually pay the fine in installments, i have tried various numbers and either cant get an answer or a dead line.

Thanks in advance for any advice given

For loopholes you need a solicitor.

When I've issued penalty notices i've always given people the following information.
    1.It must be paid within 21 days.
    2.The only way to pay in installments is to decline the ticket and request a court hearing. A court hearing could result in, being found not guilty, being found guilty and having to pay the same fine, being found guilty and having to pay a larger fine.

I can't think of any reason why there has been such a long delay, but it's something you need to get sorted as quick as you can.