Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Am I finished?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm having serious doubts about my uni grade now....

(To explain the grades first 1-5 is a first, 6-11 is a second, 12 - 16 is a third. Anything lower is a fail)

In the first year I didn't try as hard as I should have, I didn't reference my essays which probably set me back alot, partly because I didn't know how to. I couldn't get into 2 of my modules although one of them was a total waste of time.

By the end of the year, I came out with a 15, a 16 an 11 and a 10. A 16's a minimum pass is a 16. Overall, I think its a 2:2 to a 3rd

The second year I came out with a 15 again (same teacher and module, it was compulsary) a 9 and two 10's I think its a 2:2.

This years not going so well. I got a 14 on an essay and fucked up on a presentation (2 guys didn't pull their weight) and I didn't do as well as I thought on an essay. Same for another module. I had to do a project worth 50% for that module and If I mess that up....

Im getting my essay and presentation looked over again by another teacher but at the moment I have a nasty feeling I'm gonna get a bad grade overall.

Is there hope?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hope for what? I think one of the major tasks at uni is to keep going. Just keep going and you'll get your degree. Lots of people get a 2:2, get yourself to careers advisory if you're worried about what affect the grade will have on future prospects.
  • Options
    There's a lot of focus on the importance of grades when you're at uni but don't let it drag you down. Lots of people do really well regardless of the grade. maybe just focus on studying what you enjoy in the course and, like Katralla says, just endure the rest of the work. If there are things you could work to improve then spend a bit of time on then, but hell, don't beat yourself up over it.

I know you study film so maybe start looking around for creative work or even voluntary work in that field, or user published stuff on the web to suppliment the course. That way you can start getting some work out there.

Often a lucky break or dedication in something other than academic areas can have a much greater impact (I'd argue would always have more of an impact) than the grade.
  • Options
    I think people worry too much about the grade of degree they're going to get. Yes, it will matter for some careers but for the vast majority it won't. Esepcially not with so many people having degrees these days. What's just as important, if not more so, is what else you've been doing. Are you a member of any clubs, do you volunteer etc? People want to see that sort of thing as well as a degree. They want to see you're a well-rounded person who does other things besides studying.

Of course, getting a frist or a 2:1 will no doubt make people take more notice of you to start with, but there are other ways you can do that just as well.

It doesn't look like you're going to fail, so don't worry. Just do the best you can with the work you've got left. My friend got a degree without honours in the end because he had some problems during his last year and didn't complete his disstertation, but it hasn't held him back at all.
  • Options
    Thank you all for replying (I know I say that all the time but I really mean it)

I guess I should explain what brought this all on. I was talking to a friend on the course and as I was telling them about my dissertation project, they said that I have a problem with teachers (not all my teachers, just a couple) and that I'm paranoid that their out to get me. They have a point because I have had bad experiences in the past with teachers so I have my moments.

They also pointed out that I'm not getting the best grades as well as saying that I should've forced myself to get into the modules and couldn't understand how my essays didn't improve. It was a real kick in the ribs. The funny thing was that they agreed the modules were hard and saw my point of view before :yeees:

I just don't want to fail. People said "just get a passing grade" but I've always done that and I feel I can do better than that.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    There's a lot of focus on the importance of grades when you're at uni but don't let it drag you down. Lots of people do really well regardless of the grade. maybe just focus on studying what you enjoy in the course and, like Katralla says, just endure the rest of the work. If there are things you could work to improve then spend a bit of time on then, but hell, don't beat yourself up over it.

I know you study film so maybe start looking around for creative work or even voluntary work in that field, or user published stuff on the web to suppliment the course. That way you can start getting some work out there.

Often a lucky break or dedication in something other than academic areas can have a much greater impact (I'd argue would always have more of an impact) than the grade.

^^^^^ That man speaks a LOT of sense. You are NOT going to fail your degree, all you can do now is concentrate on passing what you have left. Getting a degree is a good thing, but getting your work out there in a practical sense is going to help you career more, as well as enjoying the course itself.
  • Options
    One way to do better is to take note of what is written on your papers once they have been marked and returned. Get them all together and read through the tutor comments, there may be a pattern of things to improve or a general spread, that's how I'd start.

Ask your tutor for help on improving. Do you need to use better primary sources? secondary sources? essay structure? critical analysis? referrencing? Once you kn ow where you are falling down, you can pick yourself up.

What are your topics this term?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    One way to do better is to take note of what is written on your papers once they have been marked and returned. Get them all together and read through the tutor comments, there may be a pattern of things to improve or a general spread, that's how I'd start.

Ask your tutor for help on improving. Do you need to use better primary sources? secondary sources? essay structure? critical analysis? referrencing? Once you kn ow where you are falling down, you can pick yourself up.

What are your topics this term?

I have a dissertation module, an independent project (a script), a media and cultural studies module and a new media module.

The first 2 are OK as thats just down to me. The problem is the other 2. The new media module is giving me a headache as its all very complicated. We have a new teacher now which is making things alot easier as this one isn't abrasive. The problem with my last teacher was that if you asked her for help, you often got a "your in the 3rd year, you should know how to do it!" response. Not only that, sometimes her feedback wasn't all that helpful. Sometimes she just wrote a "huh"? or a ? by something you write and thats it.

My other module I like but theres alot of reading which I'm not really used to (we didn't normally do alot of reading in the film module)

I guess my problem is that I'm not being critical enough as someone pointed out.
  • Options
    My other module I like but theres alot of reading which I'm not really used to (we didn't normally do alot of reading in the film module)

Lucky, we get loads of reading in film, less for media modules though. Check out the critical thinking, essay writing, and study skills books in your library, the Palgrave ones are easy to follow.

The third year thing... yup,lecturers say that at my uni too, mostly to people who are asking them for help with direction rather than help with refining an idea. I find it's always best to go to lecturers with a basic formulation of an idea and ask for feedback.
  • Options
    Not only that, sometimes her feedback wasn't all that helpful. Sometimes she just wrote a "huh"? or a ? by something you write and thats it.

Can you ask them to explain their comments? I know with mine (I'm first year; shouldn't make a difference though) they will explain what they mean.

For example:
    I submitted a report before Christmas and each section was worth a certain amount of marks. The lab tutor came around to each person and explained why we got what we did and where we went wrong.
  • Options
    Just keep on with your degree, no point in dropping out now. You would just end up with no degree and three wasted years.

Keep going, and try even harder but dont worry about your grade. My degree wasnt brilliant but things have worked out well for me. I am probably doing better than most my mates who got marks (without sounding big headed) things have just gone my way.

A 2:2 or worse isnt the end of the world everyone makes out, I dont believe for one second that If I had got a higher mark I would be in a better position now.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I dont have a degree and Im doing some pretty out there nifty stuff (not film related though)

Best thing is to stick at it, i dont mean even if it seems like something is pointless, even if it is, stick at it and play the game. If you do that, you will win, where others wont.