Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

America not going to the moon.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    Well, exactly. So let's fuck war and space travel off and not bemoan the technologies that we might miss out by not engaging in war or space but instead celebrate the technologies that come about from other scientific explorations.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Provide a credible alternative theory please?

Pre-60s human imaginations from free-thinkers.
  • Options
    Pre-60s human imaginations from free-thinkers.

Links please?
  • Options
    Where they are today is all based on the discoveries for a nuclear weapon. Without that, the HC would not be there today. That's what we are saying. Much of our technology comes from research into either war or venturing into space.

Wrong ...the atom bomb came about from nuclear research.
  • Options
    Links please?

Science fiction in the 50s, P K Dick for instance.
  • Options
    Wrong ...the atom bomb came about from nuclear research.

Erm .. I'm not denying that. And why did nuclear research bound ahead? Because of the (arguable) NEED for a mass destruction weapon to end the war with the Japanese.
  • Options

Sorry, that's not a link. Its an unsubstantiated claim.
  • Options
    now you're being ridiculous.
  • Options
    now you're being ridiculous.

In what way? There must be proof of your claims out there somewhere on the Internet regarding Dick?
  • Options
    Sorry, that's not a link. Its an unsubstantiated claim.

In this way.
  • Options
    Erm .. I'm not denying that. And why did nuclear research bound ahead? Because of the (arguable) NEED for a mass destruction weapon to end the war with the Japanese.

Nuclear research was bounding ahead just fine for peaceful purposes.
    We would have probably had the collider sooner and power plants sooner if the money and the brains hadn't been dragged off to work for death.
  • Options
    In this way.

There is countless proof out there on the Internet (and its taught in universities) that the origins of the Internet was based on a military project for a secure and diverse network. But you contradict this. I just want to know your sources other than a vague mention of Dick. I'm happy for you to enlighten me and change my mind - but I would like some substantiated proof. I don't see that as being ridiculous. And this isn't a personal attack on your integrity or intelligence. I like to learn. So please enlighten me. :)
  • Options
    going back to what you said about space exploration kat, regarding satellites for metological purposes, and you said we'd get satellites by different research than space exploration, this is a contradiction,

Satellites are in space, there fore any research in how to make an object orbit the earth or any other planet IS SPACE EXPLORATION, it is in space, therefore it is research into "space"
  • Options
    but the funding would have been different than the funding that started this discussion, which is specificly for space shit, the funding for satellites that could have come about for metological purposes would have been directly for that purpose.

Where's the contradiction? I'm not against technological advances or funding for them, just don't think that funding space shit is a good use of resources.
  • Options
    There is countless proof out there on the Internet (and its taught in universities) that the origins of the Internet was based on a military project for a secure and diverse network. But you contradict this. I just want to know your sources other than a vague mention of Dick. I'm happy for you to enlighten me and change my mind - but I would like some substantiated proof. I don't see that as being ridiculous. And this isn't a personal attack on your integrity or intelligence. I like to learn. So please enlighten me. :)

Let's have a look at some links then. I think you might find proof of funding but not the ideas.

Had there been less funding for military and more funding for boffins who could put the internet in to reality, I argue that we would have had the internet sooner than waiting for it to be funded by military. The boffins go where the money is, move the money away from space and war and we still have boffins with desires to invent and improve technologies.

This is why I want less money spent on space shit, so that the boffins can get funding for new technology that isn't constrained by space or war adgendas, and other uses for the money too.
  • Options

This is why I want less money spent on space shit, so that the boffins can get funding for new technology that isn't constrained by space or war adgendas, and other uses for the money too.

Trouble is ...we are back at the first post ...their aint no money for no boffins ...not in America anyway.
  • Options
    *goes back to look at first post*
  • Options
    Proportionate to the whole budget, if space shit gets less funding, everything else is getting a bigger proportion of what there is, even if there isn't an actual increase anywhere else.
  • Options
    Had there been less funding for military and more funding for boffins who could put the internet in to reality, I argue that we would have had the internet sooner than waiting for it to be funded by military.

I am sorry but I disagree, items funded through military projects are usually fast tracked and we would get them sooner,

ALSO you have to remember if you funded a project through the miltiary and funded the project through a private contractor the private contractor would probably cost MORE as they need to make a profit, where as a "company" the military does not, it gets the money it needs to complete it, where as a private company also would add say 20-30% for profit purposes.
  • Options
    This is also insightful, it seems that space exploration also stop mass blackouts or power outages and even anti-terror equipment

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/whats-space-ever-done-for-me-1799650.html

I do believe we could have made these discoveries without space exploration but I believe you are being nieve by saying it wouldn't have taken longer. For example medical equipment to messure paients stats, it would've taken longer to come about as there was not a "need" for it at the time except space exploration. the same with GPS, no one would have created GPS if they did not know about satalites, and no one knew about sattalites until space exploration invented them. why else would someone spend billions of dollors to build a sattalite, there is no reason
  • Options
    Voyager I has crossed the termination shock eight billion miles away. First human-made object to leave the solar system.

We're the most dominant nation on earth. But too often the face of our economic superiority is a corporate imperialism, our technological dominance shown by Smart bombs and Predator drones. We could do something else. Something generous and uplifting for all humankind!

Voyager, in case it's ever encountered by extra-terrestrials is carrying photos of life on Earth, greetings in 55 languages, and a collection of music from Gregorian chants to Chuck Berry. Including "Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground" by '20s bluesman Blind Willie Johnson, whose stepmother blinded him when he was seven by throwing lye in is his eyes after his father had beat her for being with another man. He died, penniless, of pneumonia after sleeping bundled in wet newspapers in the ruins of his house that burned down.

But his music has left the solar system.
  • Options

He didn't invent it any more than Jules Verne invented the Apollo Rockets or Da Vinci invented the aeroplane. he may have thought up the concept, but that's a different thing
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I am sorry but I disagree, items funded through military projects are usually fast tracked and we would get them sooner,

Sooner than what though?
    ALSO you have to remember if you funded a project through the miltiary and funded the project through a private contractor the private contractor would probably cost MORE as they need to make a profit, where as a "company" the military does not, it gets the money it needs to complete it, where as a private company also would add say 20-30% for profit purposes.

What private companies are you talking about here, I'm not sure where your argument is going?
  • Options
    This is also insightful, it seems that space exploration also stop mass blackouts or power outages and even anti-terror equipment

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/whats-space-ever-done-for-me-1799650.html

I do believe we could have made these discoveries without space exploration but I believe you are being nieve by saying it wouldn't have taken longer. For example medical equipment to messure paients stats, it would've taken longer to come about as there was not a "need" for it at the time except space exploration. the same with GPS, no one would have created GPS if they did not know about satalites, and no one knew about sattalites until space exploration invented them. why else would someone spend billions of dollors to build a sattalite, there is no reason

Eh? The need for medical equipment comes from medicine so to get better medical technology we should fund medical science not space.
  • Options
    He didn't invent it any more than Jules Verne invented the Apollo Rockets or Da Vinci invented the aeroplane. he may have thought up the concept, but that's a different thing

So, when do you think something moves from a concept to an invention? If it's when it is first made to work then, that could be argued to be a funding issue.
  • Options
    So, when do you think something moves from a concept to an invention? If it's when it is first made to work then, that could be argued to be a funding issue.

Isn't that the point being made in much of the discussion. It's not the germ of an idea - it's the will to invest in developing it. The will to gather the right minds together, to put a nations financial and human resources into the manufacturing of it.

Sure, we can all agree that a world without war would be a good thing. However, without the drive to keep soldiers alive so many medical technologies (especially those dealing with trauma) would not have happened. We would not have rockets or jets because there wasn't a demand for those things.

We are where we are today precisely because of our drive to kill or explore - why do we eat potatos? Tobacco, tea etc all came about because people invested time, effort and money in exploration. Space is the next step (although it could be argued that actually undersea is...).

Now compare the "developed world" with "tribal world". What is the difference between them?
  • Options
    Well, I think new technologies would be driven by the will to develop them if the funding were available, diverted from the space race progruam for instance. The will to gather the right minds would be garnered by the minds, unhindered by financial constraints restricting advances to funded areas like space.

So what if we are where we are today, because of killing and exploring? Where we are isn't so great and we should satisfy some of our drives other than killing and exploring to see where that takes us.

The difference is... I need a more focused question. Or perhaps give me your answer and how it fits into the argument and I can give an opinion on that.
  • Options
    Eh? The need for medical equipment comes from medicine so to get better medical technology we should fund medical science not space.

This is my point though, a few years of space research gave us medical technology that hundreds of years of medical research did not give us.... and your saying research on space is a bad thing?
  • Options
    So what if we are where we are today, because of killing and exploring? Where we are isn't so great and we should satisfy some of our drives other than killing and exploring to see where that takes us.

So now your saying Basic Human instrinct (killing and exploring) are wrong. shame but unfortunately it isn't so easy to change them.

Space holds so many wonders and secrets, we know so much yet so little about space, hundreds of years ago people would never have believe we'd step on the moon. people now believe we'll never colonize another world, I believe if in a few hundred years we will.

I know my arguement hasn't been the best but what do you expect goverments to use that money on? Space research is one of the most important research subjects around, without space research you would not have had most of the tech we have now, you argue we would've got it another way, but how? Explain how we would have had LIVE satellite TV without 1 single iota of research on space, or weather reports, hurricaine warning systems, pollution monitoring systems, systems which messure the temperature of the sea, spy satellites which protect national security. Hydrogen powered cells, Mobile Telephones, THESE are near enough impossible without any sort of space research,
  • Options
    Had there been less funding for military and more funding for boffins who could put the internet in to reality, I argue that we would have had the internet sooner than waiting for it to be funded by military.

Not sure I agree with this.

For-profit = very real reason to drive down costs = on average, more efficient.