Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

could use a bit of advise...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi i'm new here and just wanna ask about your experiences with your gp. about a yr ago my gp found out I was cutting myself, my mum and me both have the same gp and she caught a glimps of a cut on my wrist by accident, she went to him and asked for his advise and all he said was if I go and see him he would help me.
since then nothing happened and my mum has never mentioned it since then, a couple of weeks ago I did go and see him and he came across as not really being that interested, he asked me the basic questions ie: how often, where & why (1&2 i answered 3 i said nothing) then he looked on his comp and gave me a quick list of things I could do but I wasnt sure what to say or do so I said I wanted to see a phsyciatrist. He said everything so quickly and didnt say what was what or give me any advise on what would be best for me. Did I do the right thing or what? I am 30yrs old and have been self harming for nearly 3yrs now.
I am really woried that I may have made the rong choice.
Does anyone have any advice????:confused:

Comments

• Options
    I thnik you should ask for a referal to see a psychiatrist (though you won't necessarily see a psychaitrist, it might be a psychotherapist etc) to get a proper diagnosis. I he can't/won't then change doctor.

Please be aware though that the time from you doctor reffering you to the time you get into a talking therapy scheme can be sevral months, if not years, depending upon where you live.
  • Options
    Definitely go see a psychiatrist etc. I finally got an appointment with my mental health team in june last year and since then they've been really helpful with everything. my gp was treating me completely wrong for my "condition". i'm now on the correct meds and go to group therapy which for me is a huge step concidering i shat myself when i see or do anything new.

If your gp wont refer you then concider changing gp or even see a different doctor within the same surgery.
  • Options
    Hi brookeschris79 :wave:

I've moved your post in to the Health & Wellbeing forum as you're likely to get some more responses there. As Rubberskin said though, if you don't feel your current GP has been very understanding and is not offering you the support you need then you can ask to see a different doctor next time you go.

You've made a brave step in talking to someone about it and posting here, would you consider talking to your mum again?