Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Let my best friend down :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Feel so bad, my best friend feels like I've "betrayed" her, and I agree. She's helped me through a really tough year, and did a lot - spent ages each night on the phone to me...she got really worried, but she was always there. But she feels like some of it was attention seeking, and (please dont judge me) I guess she's right. When things were getting better, I did make too much fuss about things that went wrong...I just didn't want her to go...

And now I don't know what to do, because I feel so bad about it, and I've lost best friend I've ever had, we're still friends, for now at least, but she doesn't know what to think of me or anything. And I feel really hurt by it, but I deserve it, but I don't want to lose her.

I've promised her I'll try to sort it myself properly by going to an adult. But I need advice - I want to show her that I'm different now:crying:

Sorry for the long ramble
xxx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think she is indeed a good friend and is hurting (as opposed to, that she does not care), because she feels neglected and feels down to lose a friend. She will thankfully accept a apology from you. She will forgive you. No need for an explanation or any kind of vindication. Just go over to her place (she will notice your effort for coming over just to tell her something) and apologize for what you did wrong (whatever that is, I can't really tell from your post) and tell her you will do better. Mostly it is already a big relief to realize that the other side is upset too about the situation.

When a friend and I had a small fight about something rather meaningless (he had a weird opinion about something, mostly because he was a bit drunk and angry about something in the recent past, as an example: all girls are sluts, when your girlfriend cheats on you) I got out of the bus hastily (it was coincidentaly my stop and the bus was shortly departing so I had to get off anyway, but it made the impression as if I'm leaving the argument) and it just came how it came and we didn't hear from each other for 3 days. I was in no way mad at him, but I remember him coming up to me and telling me he was sorry for being so stubborn back them and he would be sad if he was damaging the friendship and that really put an impression on me.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It'sMEE wrote: »
    Feel so bad, my best friend feels like I've "betrayed" her, and I agree. She's helped me through a really tough year, and did a lot - spent ages each night on the phone to me...she got really worried, but she was always there. But she feels like some of it was attention seeking, and (please dont judge me) I guess she's right. When things were getting better, I did make too much fuss about things that went wrong...I just didn't want her to go...

And now I don't know what to do, because I feel so bad about it, and I've lost best friend I've ever had, we're still friends, for now at least, but she doesn't know what to think of me or anything. And I feel really hurt by it, but I deserve it, but I don't want to lose her.

I've promised her I'll try to sort it myself properly by going to an adult. But I need advice - I want to show her that I'm different now:crying:

Sorry for the long ramble
    xxx

Aah! Best friendships are so like marriages sometimes aren't they?

How have you lost her, has she said she doesn't want to talk to you or something any more?

You could send her a card to say how much you appreciate her being there for you and have a chat with her try to laugh about the situation.

We all attention seek at some point in our lives for whatever reasons, if she is a true friend she will look past your little phase and see that you are different now. Show her you're different by not attention seeking. Maybe she feels it was all about you so make sure you spend as much time talking about her and how she is as you do talking about you.