Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How do you know...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sounds like a very stupid question but how do you know when you are ready to have sex?

Comments

• Options
    It's not a stupid question at all. But none of us can tell you, I'm affraid. You'll know when you are ready, and if you have to ask then it is most likely you aren't. But I guess when you feel comfortable with yourself, and the person you are having sex with. Don't not feel like you MUST have sex at a certain time, because everyone is different ages on their first time.
    Xx
  • Options
    Sounds like a very stupid question but how do you know when you are ready to have sex?

There's not universal indicator, but I would say you're probably ready when you no longer feel the need to answer the question.
  • Options
    When you're married.
  • Options

I think that a lot of these answers are probably a little vague so here are a few thoughts for you to ponder :

How well do know yourself? Ask yourself if the situation "feels right" and if you really TRUST those feelings.

How well do you know your would be partner? Ask yourself how well you know the person you are thinking of being with - and if you care for them and trust them.

Do you understand your reasons? Whatever your reason be sure it is worth giving something away that you will never get back. Do you know what those things are?

Do you have any idea about how your parents feel about you having sex? You may urgently require their support and confidence someday.

Do you understand all the risks? Things like heart break, regret, pregnancy, STDs, and HIV (AIDS) can all happen the first time you have sex. Seriously.

Do you know how to protect yourself? Did you know that condoms with spermicide are the best protection for sexually active teens and that the Pill only protects from pregnancy, not STDs?

Do you understand and accept that there is no 100% protection against unwanted outcomes if you have sex? Unfortunately, only abstinence can totally protect you.

What do you know about the law? Do you know the law of the country states that you have to be a certain age before you can legally agree to have sex?

Do you actually know what sex is? Sex can be oral, anal, lying on top of each, heavy petting etc. They are are all sexual contact which can result in STDs or HIV (AIDS). Use a condom!

Lastly, there is NEVER EVER going back! Once you let go of your virginity it is gone forever! Make sure you are ready to say 'goodbye' to that part of yourself.

So don't just rush into it. Consider the situation and the consequences as much as the act itself.
  • Options
    When you get your pink pube.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    When you get your pink pube.

:confused:
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    :confused:

You haven't got your pink pube yet? :shocking:
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    You haven't got your pink pube yet? :shocking:

Umm should I have?? Or does that mean what I think it means... No i dont think thats it....

I feel this is gonna be embarrassing
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Umm should I have?? Or does that mean what I think it means... No i dont think thats it....

I feel this is gonna be embarrassing

:D

I was only taking the piss the whole time. :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Guys, it's a perfectly good question. It's ok to have a bit of a joke from time to time, but you've pretty much just derailed...

Good tips Teagan, broken' piece you might wanna check out TheSite.org's article on am I ready for sex? too. :)