Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Wearing your PJs to the shops?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8484116.stm

This is about a Tesco store close to where I work, I know it well - my office has been having a bit of a giggle at it, especially the audio clip, but I was reading the "Have Your Say" comments and wondered what you lot thought - would you go shopping in your PJs or do you think it's a bit wrong?

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't go shopping in my pj's but it's a regular occurance up here!

When I lived in Liverpool girls would regulalry wander around town in the day in their pj's, hair in curlers and ugg boots....no one batted an eyelid!
  • Options
    Not in my pjs but might run out in my slippers if i was just popping to the shop. I dont see what the big deal is, as long as you're covered up appropriately, who's it offending?

I swear, if i could, I would wear my pjs all day every day :D
  • Options
    It might not cause offence, but scruffy or what? I guess some people don't embarass easy.
  • Options
    it probably would gross me out if an old man came in with his penis flopping about in saggy pj bottoms. i think people should at least look like they've not just rolled out of bed when they go shopping in a supermarket. i thought it was socially accepted. maybe this supermarket is getting particularly dodgy/ flasher type people in so that's why they have enforced it.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Ive bought beer at 4 in the morning from my local wearing only boxers.
    They used to seel us beer whilst the paper boys were getting their papers.

They got used to it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Ive bought beer at 4 in the morning from my local wearing only boxers.
    They used to seel us beer whilst the paper boys were getting their papers.

They got used to it.

lol
  • Options
    Great minds - we put this up as today's poll this morning! :)

I don't think I'd do it now but Sunday trips to Asda when I was at uni often took place with pyjama bottoms still on :blush:

Vote
  • Options
    I wouldn't do it, but i hate leaving the house looking scruffy
  • Options
    I wouldn't. I don't like leaving the house when i feel/look scruffy.
  • Options
    Seriously people, have some self respect. :(
  • Options
    When filling my car up with fuel recently I saw a girl filling up who was wearing her pyjamas. It was about 7am so, assuming she was on her way to work and had slept in and desperately needed fuel, I made a joke to my hubby that she had probably just thrown some clothes into the car and was going to get changed at work, and was probably cringing that she needed fuel. Anyway minutes later she walked in to the supermarket and was walking around like normal, she did look reeeeally tired but she didn't seem bothered that she was in her pj's.
  • Options
    I hobble over to the corner shop with sleeping gear on sometimes. Never anything that is actually nightwear but maybe a tracksuit type thing that I sleep in.
  • Options
    I'd like to wear my dressing gown everywhere. Like Arthur Dent.
  • Options
    people come in the supermarket where i work all the time wearing their pyjamas. it doesnt offend me but i usually think they look quite scruffy, and silly! its really not that much effort to put on a pair of trousers. the worst iv seen is a woman in full on dressing gown haha, but that was at about 6 in the morning. but she was doing a full shop!
  • Options
    Depends on the PJs, and the shop!

It's not too bad if you're shuffling quickly down your local corner shop for a pint of milk or whatever. Also if your jams look more like joggers or a tracksuit, I'd be ok with that too.

But I have seen people in pink patterned jammy bottoms in the centre of Leeds in the middle of the afternoon, in full going out makeup, usually. Like they could be bothered to curl their eyelashes, but not to put some trousers on :eek2:
  • Options
    When I worked in Waitrose I never saw anyone come in in their PJs :p
  • Options
    When I worked in Waitrose I never saw anyone come in in their PJs :p

Say I'm stereotyping blah blah blah, but Waitrose people don't really seem to me pyjamas to the shops people.

we always go down to the chipshop or co-op in pyjamas, if we need food or whatever, it's not really that humiliating.
  • Options
    Humiliating is probably the wrong word. Makes me think more like they've given up on life.

I want to shout 'dress yourself! Have a wash! Life is ok!' at them.
  • Options
    What made me laugh was that in the audio clip she says that she wears her best pyjamas to go shopping in, which suggests she changes into them specifically from her crappy usual ones - in which case why not just put on jeans instead?!
  • Options
    When I stayed at Waybridge caravan site in Cornwall as a child, I once went to their playground wearing slippers instead of trainers (but had my clothes on as normal). That was down to memory rather than Tesco stupidity :-D
  • Options
    Used to see it a lot of the time in the local tescos store at like 4am. Having just finished work at the nightclub, we used to have a nice wander around tescos. It isnt too bad at that time of night, but during the day, id be very tempted to point and laugh.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    Say I'm stereotyping blah blah blah, but Waitrose people don't really seem to me pyjamas to the shops people.

we always go down to the chipshop or co-op in pyjamas, if we need food or whatever, it's not really that humiliating.

*makes note to avoid the co-op and chipshop when she's back in Plymouth*:p

Going out in pyjamas is just wrong. Even if I go around the corner (we have a Tesco aroundd the corner) to get out cash, I will always wear clothes.
  • Options
    Fascinating. Never seen a person in sleeping gear on the streets over here. Why would you do it? You can't be in such a hurry to not get on some regular trousers and a vest.

Wouldn't do it. I even change myself to "street wear" when going with my dog and get changed back to comfy when coming back home, sometimes more than once a day.

Makes me kinda think that the person is a bum (as in so lazy to not get changed, that I don't even want to think what s/he is neglecting otherwise out of laziness).
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »

Makes me kinda think that the person is a bum (as in so lazy to not get changed, that I don't even want to think what s/he is neglecting otherwise out of laziness).

yeah, it makes me think that too, if they cant even be bothered getting dressed to go shopping have they bothered to brush their teeth or have a shower? ha.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »

But I have seen people in pink patterned jammy bottoms in the centre of Leeds in the middle of the afternoon, in full going out makeup, usually. Like they could be bothered to curl their eyelashes, but not to put some trousers on :eek2:

According to all the you look like shit lets make you over tv shows, thats what my every day wear screams and my jammies are more fashionable :p

I don't have a problem with jammies, I'd rather the 45 year old woman in the tube top and spandex booty shorts wear them instead.
  • Options
    Someone tell the lazy fuckers to put some proper fucking clothes on.

No wonder the Jeremy Kyle show has no end of applicants.
  • Options
    And this gets even more interesting: Tesco's being hypocritical!
    Apparently certain people can go in their PJs!
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    Say I'm stereotyping blah blah blah, but Waitrose people don't really seem to me pyjamas to the shops people

Haha I shop in waitrose :lol: And actually... nope, never seen anyone in their PJs
    Xx
  • Options
    ive gone to tescos in my pjs a couple of times at about 4am in the morning on alsohol runs.
    both of those times were when i was pissed off my tits, so i dont feel like it was that bad!!
    :)

why get changed to go get drink/food when all youre going to do is get back into your pjs as soon as you get back home again?! makes no sense :D
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with jammies, I'd rather the 45 year old woman in the tube top and spandex booty shorts wear them instead.

Well, there is also that.

Maybe they should change the sign to 'Come on, people. You own a mirror, right?'. :p