Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

iPad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have you guys seen this? http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video

What do you think? Would you buy one?

I think they're really cool and can't wait to get one, i just hope you can use bit torrents clients like vuze on it and vlc player will work. Otherwise it will be a huge shame

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm concerned about what is left out tbh.

On a mobile I don't mind only being able to interact with one ap at once - but once something changes to this size i feel I'd want to use it more like a netbook.

Not being able to run more than one ap at once (so no checking twitter or watching a movie with a document open at the same time), no flash (so many websites will look nerfed - fine on a phone, harder to justify here), no camera, the idea of using a lit-glossy screen to read books (if you've ever seen an e-reader/kindle you'll know what a difference it makes to see something in e-ink rather than on screen) - all of this makes me doubt how attractive a package it is at this point.

Feels like a rushed release to get in ahead of the game with all the other proper netbooks like are being released as tablets.

To be honest I'd be tempted to pick up a kindle and a basic netbook instead right now and wait for a later version.

However, being Apple, it goes without sayign it does look cool as fuck and I'm sure is going to sell like hell.

One thing though, don't think it turns to handle widescreen ratios well - so everything gets plaid with black bars, which is wierd given the shape...

Jo7 is desperate to get one though, I'm clearly just too grumpy about these newfangled gadgets...
    I think its a good idea but i think it will take a few years and few different versions untils it catches my eye.

Like Jim says theres LOADS of important things missing on it, stupid silly that i would of thought would of been pretty vital things to include.

Nice idea and looks pretty smart but i wouldnt bother with it just yet. Give it a few years and it'll be much improved.
    Looks lovely, but as Jim has said there's too much missing from it. It's too big to be truly portable and too small to have features you'd expect from a computer, at the very least multi-tasking!

When the gimmick has worn off and other companies have started releasing them I might look into them.
    It looks nice but it doesnt support flash, it runs iPhone OS so forget running vuze/utorrent/vlc. Just altogether pointless really IMHO, I'd rather tote around my macbook and iphone..
    omg no vuze?! I guess i'll stick to my laptop for now. It is really pretty though :heart:
    My windows mobile phone that is 3+ years old can multitask :-).

It does look nice but ultimately some crippling flaws mean its not the perfect device. But I hope it reinvigors competition in the small portable 'out and about' computer market as other competitors try to update their usability and user interfaces and software to make them shimmer a bit more, rather than just being scaled down laptops running windows.

edit: you can already buy tablet hackintoshes for aroudn the same price anyway. Just no 'official' warranty.
    So the tablet market is just about to begin? So says this news article about Apple's new 'iPad' product. It looks impressive, but my old company were selling Paceblade PCs way back in 2003. We also sold those Acer computers that lets you turn the screen inside out (covering the keyboard), so that it makes it into a tablet PC with touch functions from the OS. Again, this dates back from 2003 onwards.
    Major differences between then and now is similar to pre iphone and post iphone.

Then: devices were extremely good at everything (better than apple's offering) but really failed on usability, and often devices were horrendously expensive - my wm phone would have cost me £500 new.

Now: tablets are going to be focused around the 'fisher price' model in that things should just work, should be very easy to do, should be able to do relatively cool stuff (so, you might not be able to vpn and act as webserver at the same time, but you can still probably do a powerpoint presentation), able to be used for whatever.
    hi sorry about the comment that was here before, i've been a bit irritable recently i realise its not fair to scathe people for liking different things.
    Wow, go read binary. Techies are hardly stupid that they need things to be simple.

It's simple because idiots like you don't understand anything more complex.

I think you might want to look up the word "pseudo" before you call anyone an idiot.
    Wow, go read binary. Techies are hardly stupid that they need things to be simple.

It's simple because idiots like you don't understand anything more complex.

Might want to look up the 'don't make personal insults' bit of the rules as well...
    I want one, I will buy one for Jo7 if she is that desperate :P
    The display - the iPad's backlit LCD screen is too bright for extended e-book reading.

Battery life - At 10 hours, it's ahead of any netbook, but still a good 20 or 30 hours behind any e-book on the market.

Security - If your iPad gets stolen, there's apparently no way to remotely lock it.

Apps lock-out - The iPad only runs apps from Apple's App Store. Which is a lot of apps, admittedly, but not everyone's happy about Apple's inconsistency when it come to what apps it allows for sale.

Camera - There isn't one.

USB input - There isn't any. At least, not without an adapter.

No Flash - Without Flash, forget about displaying around the majority of internet content the way you could on a netbook or laptop.

Multitasking - Is impossible on the iPad, which means you can only use one application at a time, reducing its functionality as a work computer to little more than a large iPhone.

No HDMI - So you won't be sitting back to watch any movies you download from iTunes on your TV.

The iPad's best features: the ability to make notes, play games and correct mistakes by throwing it in the bin.
    Be wary if you're searching for iPad on search engines. The same applies to Haiti.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8486701.stm
    The iPad's best features: the ability to make notes, play games and correct mistakes by throwing it in the bin.

Talking of which - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN6hizvOY5U
    So basically it is an Iphone without the phone…..

maybe Dom Jolly should use it for Trigger happy TV, In all honestly I admit I am not a big fan of Apple, I used MAC's when doing my Diploma but admit the I phone is the first apple product I would've bought, this though, one function at a time, missing half the features, I think it'll be over taken very quickly by better products.

What kind of specs does it have? anyone to hack it and install your own OS (WIN/Linux/Ubuntu?)
    Its an iPod touch for Andre the Giant.
    Sadly he's dead.

Hell even the iPod has flash!
    Mylo_B wrote: »
    Its an iPod touch for Andre the Giant.
    Sadly he's dead.

Hell even the iPod has flash!

PMSL, haha Andre was a god :(
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I think it'll be over taken very quickly by better products.

Of course it will. The iPad v.2, iPad v.3 etc.

I like what the dude from DaringFireball said:

"Used to be that to drive a car, you, the driver, needed to operate a clutch pedal and gear shifter and manually change gears for the transmission as you accelerated and decelerated. Then came the automatic transmission. With an automatic, the transmission is entirely abstracted away. The clutch is gone. To go faster, you just press harder on the gas pedal.

That’s where Apple is taking computing. A car with an automatic transmission still shifts gears; the driver just doesn’t need to know about it. A computer running iPhone OS still has a hierarchical file system; the user just never sees it.

That’s not to say there aren’t trade-offs involved. Car enthusiasts (and genuine experts like race car drivers) still drive cars with manual transmissions. They offer more control; they’re more efficient. But the vast majority of cars sold today are automatics. So too it’ll be with computers. Eventually, the vast majority will be like the iPad in terms of the degree to which the underlying computer is abstracted away. Manual computers, like the Mac and Windows PCs, will slowly shift from the standard to the niche, something of interest only to experts and enthusiasts and developers."

It's not for me. But as a way to rob PCs of the perceived technical wall that my Mum or sister might have with a "normal" computer...that's pretty awesome.
    I wouldn't want one. It's just an oversized iPhone without the phone. And the name makes me think of a feminine hygiene product.
    Of course it will. The iPad v.2, iPad v.3 etc.

I like what the dude from DaringFireball said:

"Used to be that to drive a car, you, the driver, needed to operate a clutch pedal and gear shifter and manually change gears for the transmission as you accelerated and decelerated. Then came the automatic transmission. With an automatic, the transmission is entirely abstracted away. The clutch is gone. To go faster, you just press harder on the gas pedal.

That’s where Apple is taking computing. A car with an automatic transmission still shifts gears; the driver just doesn’t need to know about it. A computer running iPhone OS still has a hierarchical file system; the user just never sees it.

That’s not to say there aren’t trade-offs involved. Car enthusiasts (and genuine experts like race car drivers) still drive cars with manual transmissions. They offer more control; they’re more efficient. But the vast majority of cars sold today are automatics. So too it’ll be with computers. Eventually, the vast majority will be like the iPad in terms of the degree to which the underlying computer is abstracted away. Manual computers, like the Mac and Windows PCs, will slowly shift from the standard to the niche, something of interest only to experts and enthusiasts and developers."

It's not for me. But as a way to rob PCs of the perceived technical wall that my Mum or sister might have with a "normal" computer...that's pretty awesome.

Oh wow I really think that hits the nail on the head nicely :) :thumb: