Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

xbox live mtu fail

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im trying to connect to xbox live but it fails at mtu thingy says i have to change the settings but i dont know how everything else is fine just mtu im connect by wire straight into my modem it was working fine 3 days ago and now it has just stoped i dont have a router ive read up on the internet and it keeps telling me about a router but i dont have one

so can anyone help me

Comments

• Options
    your modem is probably a router
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    mclovin69 wrote: »
    im trying to connect to xbox live but it fails at mtu thingy says i have to change the settings but i dont know how everything else is fine just mtu im connect by wire straight into my modem it was working fine 3 days ago and now it has just stoped i dont have a router ive read up on the internet and it keeps telling me about a router but i dont have one

so can anyone help me

Set your MTU in you router to 1364
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    why 1374? isn't 1460 the usual substandard MTU that's needed to make things work of the PPPoATM session?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Big Gay wrote: »
    why 1374? isn't 1460 the usual substandard MTU that's needed to make things work of the PPPoATM session?

Xbox Live it requires a minimum of 1364. 1460 should be fine but you don't want to be set it too large else you'll also encounter problems.
    I'd hazard a guess that the MTU currently in mclovins router is currently below the minimum rather than above. Microsoft advise that you set it to 1364.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Xbox Live it requires a minimum of 1364. 1460 should be fine then. You wouldn't want to set it to allow huge packets because you can experience lag.
    I'd hazard a guess that the MTU currently in mclovins router is currently below the minimum.

Ah, I was guessing it would be the "usual" problem is the router is set to 1500 (the IP standard specified minimum value for MTU), the Xbox sends out packets at 1500, and they were either getting fragmented at the ISP, then dropped a MS as they don't accept fragments, or ICMP "must fragment" messages were being sent back, but being blocked by NAT

But I don't know anything about connecting toys to the internet