Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Piercing the top of your ear...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, so I know it's "not advisable" "less safe" and "more risk of infection" than going to a piercing shop [but I have a good knowledge about infections and preventing them and sterile techniques (yay for actually learning something on my uni course!)] but I am wondering what the quickest and least painful way for piercing the top of your ear (pinna) is?

ps I'm thinking I'll get my friend to do it (who has the right equipment).

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ... or I was considering a lip piercing.... ideas?! does this hurt less?

(just one piercing off centre on the bottom)
    I think the quickest, easiest, and least painful method is also going to a piercing shop
    Big Gay wrote: »
    I think the quickest, easiest, and least painful method is also going to a piercing shop

I second this! They are experts in the correct placement, which is also what you need for doing it the first time.

I would consider 're-piercing' at home, just because the hole is not closed completly- but the first time? I would go to a shop.
    Yeah piercing shop defo. I tried to do my lip with a pin, and it swelled up and really hurt for ages. And I think you can get brain damage or something if you do that in the wrong place?
    I know a few boys who've done their ears (with a pin and some ice) but I personally think you should go to a piercing shop.
    Xx
    I’ve got quite a few piercing myself, and I would warn against doing first-time piercing at home. As skakitty said its best to do re-piercings at home, I have sadly lots of experience with that myself.
    A lassie that was in my year in school pierced her own lip and nose and was taken into hospital to have them removed as she had a serious infection. Even though she knew how to properly sterilize everything she used.
    All my earpiercings were done by my friend, but she won't do piercings through cartilage (?) bits because apparently you can shatter it, or pierce a vein, or paralyse you face. Just get it done professionally.