Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mother jailed for nine years for euthanising son

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    It's not a given that her condition would have improved at all.

Nope, you are quite correct. Evidence would suggest that the probability is that it would, but there are exceptions to every rule. Of course, we will never know now.

The article I read earlier was taken from her Live Journal updates. It talked about her being depressed but refusing the anti-depressants she was prescribed because they didn't work. I doubt we will ever know what else was tried, or refused, and we will never know if better depression services and support could have helped her more. It seems that was as much a contribution to her death wish as her ME (it's pretty normal for people with long term illness to suffer depression too).

It's also interesting that earlier we were talking about cases where people we incapable of killing themseleves. Yet her that was apparently not the case, she had tried and failed to give herself enough of a dose, partly because of her tolerance to morphine. So her Mum gave her a mixture of drugs, plus injected air into her tubes in an attempt to kill her.

Like I said, that's different from the approach being suggested here earlier in the thread and just underlines my concern about shifting sands...
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    I don't really care too much whether it would have improved, anyway. She was miserable and in pain and found her life intolerable - why should she have to continue living if she's had enough?

Again, I will make the same point I have made previously. Suicide isn't illegal, refusing treatment isn't illegal.

Killing someone is.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Again, I will make the same point I have made previously. Suicide isn't illegal, refusing treatment isn't illegal.

Killing someone is.

But look at her case - she tried to kill herself, and wasn't able to, so begged her mother for help. I find it very difficult to think her mother should not have agreed, that watching her daughter's agony and desperation she should have said no, you can kill yourself but if you're not able to manage it, I won't help you.