Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hearing aid!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, So I and my family thought my hearing might have been getting worse, (to explain I'll go into a bit of a back story)

I have had several ops on my ear (left) and quite a reduced hearing in my left and little in my right, now people have always said "Why not get a hearing aid" but alas me being me have always ignored/changed the subject or been to embarassed to do anything about it, I mean come'on a 22year old guy with a hearing aid, nothing to be a shamed about I'm sure but alas I was,

Well after a hearing test and talk I finally plucked up the courage and asked me consaltant, he said it is worth a shot and why not, you may find it'll improve things considerably or not at all but we'll try,

So anyway we're getting the ball rolling he sent me to the audiologist who will fit me out, unfortunately due to living where I live it can take a few months to get but they'll be in touch,

My question is this. Has anyone here got a hearing aid? how long did it take to get use to it and did you find it helped a lot or not?

cheers.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I personally don't have one. But a boy in my class has just got one. He was half deaf in one ear I think, and he says it has really helped him.
    I don't think he liked it at first though, and he did have to have a week off school because of doctors appointments ect.
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
    Xx
    Well done for going for one :)

I don't have one myself but a friend of mine had a hearing aid at school and as far as I remember it helped her a great deal.

My grandparents completely rely on them, in particular my grandad who literally cannot hear a thing without them. I think people are more use to them now and there is less stigma about wearing a hearing aid. I have seen afew people quite recently with hearing aids who are about your age or younger. I would imagine you will find it hugely beneficial!
    I've had hearing aids for the whole of my life, so while I do have them, I can't say how long it took to get used to them, sorry Hellfire. In terms of timescale though, I can help you a little, as I've gone through changes as the technology improves. I'll say that from the hearing test in audiology, it takes about a month before your h.aids are ready. I had to go back into audiology to collect the aids, but when you go to have impressions made for ear moulds, they will pop them into the post for you. You need to have new moulds made every couple of years to accomodate for the changes that take shape inside your ear(s).
    i've got one, i'm completely deaf in my left ear and but fine in my right ear, so I wear a hearing aid in my right ear to compensate for the left ear. I find it helps alot in groups and noisy backgrounds, i don't struggle too much without it though. IMO, its gotten much better since digital aids replaced analogue ones; also i think the soft plastic moulds are better than the hard plastic moulds.
    ahhhh :D i'm 19 and i'm deaf

i have cochlear implants tho so when i wear them i can hear :D
    (for those who dnt no wat a cochlear implant is i will attach a link for information about it and photographs showing the different parts which i have found online)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochlear_implant

:heart:
    Ahhh good that you bought this up, an update here,

Basically had an appointment a few weeks ago (still waiting for the hearing aid, ridiculous right)

I was suppose to be fitted for my hearing aid but there was a slightly problem and they need to give me a closed hearing aid instead, so needed moulds of my ear, and alas I am still waiting for my hearing aid, only 11months..
    I haven't worn mine for ages, I do just fine without it :p
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Ahhh good that you bought this up, an update here,

Basically had an appointment a few weeks ago (still waiting for the hearing aid, ridiculous right)

I was suppose to be fitted for my hearing aid but there was a slightly problem and they need to give me a closed hearing aid instead, so needed moulds of my ear, and alas I am still waiting for my hearing aid, only 11months..

I am waiting for my appiontment with ENT on 31st december as had a hearing test and am deaf in right ear, i hope one would help me