Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

"Sitting Tennancy" - Rent?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello. I am posting here on behalf of my mother (not used to the internet).

She has an old friend, (Age 81), who is a "Sitting Tenant" in her daughter's home. Her and her daughter made an agreement a long time ago that she can live in the daughters home for as long as she likes. She has been living there for a long time, without paying rent to her daughter (the flat is in her name).

The daughter now wants to sell the flat, with this woman as a Sitting Tenant. Does this mean she will have to pay rent for the new owners? Will it be a set amount by law or will it be set by the new owners?

Thankyou. I hope this makes sense to you.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does this mean she will have to pay rent for the new owners?

More than likely.

Will it be a set amount by law or will it be set by the new owners?

The new owners will set the rent.
    i dont think many people are going to buy a house with a tenant in it that doesnt pay any rent, so yes, the old lady will have to pay rent
    Hmmmm this is interesting as our grandparent in laws have life rent/free rent on one of the flats my parent in laws own and according to our parents as long as they live there the property can not be sold.

The only way I can think of a work around is if the flat IS sold the daughter would have to pay the rent as the mother has a contract for "Free life rent"

Either that or they find grounds on which they can evict her (eg messy/disturbances) but as it is family this is very unlikely/unsuitable.