Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Attention Deficit Disorder and concentration

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I am already diagnosed with dyspraxia, but I think I may have ADD as well. I wasn't sure before, but I looked up ADD out of curiousity and thought "that's me!" with a great deal of what I read... I am aware ADD, dyspraxia, dyslexia, Aspergers and other neuro-diverse conditions are linked.

I don't think it matters until I go to university again, as I can get help, but I do have quite bad concentration difficulties.

For example I can be reading but then after say... A couple of pages my mind switches to something else and I stop absorbing it. Sometimes I physically have to get up and do what I am thinking of doing as I can get really restless... The same with conversation. I get distracted in conversation so the person is talking to me and I am not taking it in... My mind is elsewhere!

I cannot even sometimes listen to a song the whole way through because although I love music, I have to combine it for something because I can get bored or frustrated with it easily.

I also find holding a conversation with music playing hard.

But then there's a flip side... Sometimes I can get too focussed on something and then get obsessive, impulsively buy books I'll never read or food ingredients, lose track of time and spend hours on it. I get these little 'obsessions' (my current is sustainable agriculture) and become fascinated by them and get so excited. It's like a rush!

I can find some things completely overwhelming, especially if they don't interest me. For example, sorting the post in work stresses me out. If I am not mentally stimulated, I can get frustrated.... I can also be very impatient.

I was wondering if anybody has any advice on improving attention span and helping with the frustration. I realise also, this could be part of dyspraxia or maybe just idiosyncracies I have, but it does affect my life negatively.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel sorry for myself. I have great strengths elsewhere. :) I just wanna over come this barrier because I think I am capable of doing better at university and work if this works out.

ETA: I'd like to go on to do a Masters degree and maybe a PHD, so I would love to tame this!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i can relate to what you say as i have my suspicions i may have ADD too.
    I found taking an omega 3 supplement for a while really helpful for my concentration span.
    Ive stopped taking it but keep meaning to do it again as it helped so much
    I have the same problem. However, a lot of it started when my depression did - so always put it down to that.
    Heyy,
    I have dyspraxia and ADHD, and know exactly how you feel about not being able to concentrate - join the club!! Since I was really young when the ADHD was diagnose (about 4) and since the dyspraxia was diagnosed just 4 years after that I'm not really sure whether my inability to concentrate is due to the ADHD or dyspraxia, although when I don't have medication on board I cannot concentrate on anything and get so hyper! If you wanna do something about it, you could try to have an assessment, I think your GP might be able to refer you... If you do have ADD, then you might be able to get medication for it, and it really helps.

xxx
    It's been suggested that I have some sort of mild attention hyperactivity. I find that meditation really helps to centre and focus me. I go to a class once a week through university which teaches us different practices.

The omega3 supplement is not something i'd heard of so i might give that a try!