Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

'Thousands dead' in Haiti quake

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    FAITH?
    Faith based on things perceived ...on knowledge?

Neither of those are faith, they are experience.
  • Options
    Thing is, yeah its a small ish country. Imagine how long it took them to get a few bridges surveyed in cumbria when we had the flooding, and thats with a remaining government and not a complete national disaster.

Because aid hasnt arrived everywhere, all at once, people are getting pissed off and making up all sorts of shit.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Neither of those are faith, they are experience.

You obviously have no idea what the Bible says about faith but might have heard what the churches say.
    Two completely different things.
  • Options
    FAITH?
    Faith based on things perceived ...on knowledge?
    Or blind faith ...your a Catholic cos your mum said so?
    Lets talk Christian here ...a Christians faith is based on close examination of the scriptures.
    If it says it angers God that you erect idols and bow before them ...then you don't do it.
    If it says you can only pray to God in the name of his son ...but you insist on praying to saints or some temporary virgin ...then you have no faith.
    The contract between you and God doesn't even exist.

The Biblical definition of faith.

Hebrews 11:1

"What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see."
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    How does ONE line give you such a 'strong suggestion'?

It is dependant on what is said in that one line.
    Would you kindly spell out your understanding of the Christian covenant with God and its small print please, if that indeed is what you are referring to, in implying that this is the reason why the Haitians haven't seen any sight of God in their distress?

I did not imply anything. I was replying to suggestions that "God" had not kept promises, or not fulfilled obligations.

As a legal scholar, I am aware of the Mosaic Law (the foundation for anglo saxon legal systems) which is predicated on the contract between Abraham and his God.

A covenant was formed between the Abrahamic God and the tribes there present with Moses. As with all contracts there were obligations and penalty clauses.

The small print is in the book of Exodus.(If you are interested, I suggest chapter 19 for starters. Beware that legal code, as evident in statutes and contracts contains cross references that need to be researched to achieve a fuller understanding of the document)
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    That post suggests a complete lack of understanding of "faith"

Perhaps, but before you crucify the messenger, consider this :
    Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.

Romans 31.3
  • Options
    Well, there we have a contradiction.

Matthew 5:17 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the Prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill."

Galatians 2:16 "knowing that a man is not justified by the Works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be saved!"
  • Options
    Well, there we have a contradiction.

Matthew 5:17 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the Prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill."

Galatians 2:16 "knowing that a man is not justified by the Works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be saved!"

A contradiction of what ?
  • Options
    :rolleyes: Don't concen yourself about it anymore.

There is no personal, caring god anyway.
  • Options
    :rolleyes: Don't concen yourself about it anymore.

There is no personal, caring god anyway.

You may have a point.
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
    -Jesus
  • Options
    Paul said not to just believe but to make sure of all things.
    Jesus said everlasting life depended on taking in knowledge of God.
    It also says that faith without works is dead.
    Jesus also said ...many will say but didn't we teach in your name ...get lost is his reply ...I never knew you.
    And those who build idols ...bow before idols ...have no chance.
    How about those who pray to his mum ...no chance.
  • Options
    Of course, everything depends on whether you believe what the Bible, or any religious movement, says. If one doesn't, then what you say is irrelevant.
  • Options
    Wow! Talk about kicking people when they are down!

"Don't give Haitians a penny, says rightwing US shock jock"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/15/haitians-donations-radio-rush-limbaugh
  • Options

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/15/haitians-donations-radio-rush-limbaugh
    I suspect the American Right, specially those in the Southern States, have a historical grievance against Haiti because it help facilitate freedom for slaves in the US:
    While the American War of Independence was driven by a white elite unwilling to continue paying taxes to its colonial masters, the Haitian revolution was led by a freed slave, Toussaint Louverture.

The existence of a nation of freed slaves to the south became an inspiration for slaves in the US, and a thorn in the side of many Southerners who relied on slavery for their economy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8460185.stm

Little surprise to hear Limbaugh's comments. Utter cunt in cuntish opinion shock!
  • Options
    That man is genuinely evil.
  • Options

From that same article :
    A senior Haitian diplomat was caught on camera claiming the earthquake would be good for his country and appearing to blame the catastrophe on "witchcraft".

Speaking before an interview on Brazilian TV, Haiti's consul in São Paulo, George Samuel Antoine, said: "This catastrophe is good for us here, it will make us known."
  • Options
    So what are you suggesting here, that because Haiti has a politician make an outrageous statement that this justified Limbaugh's pathetic ramblings?
  • Options
    So what are you suggesting here, that because Haiti has a politician make an outrageous statement that this justified Limbaugh's pathetic ramblings?

Merely highlighting a comment that any parasite would be proud of.
  • Options
    Merely highlighting a comment that any parasite would be proud of.

So why don't you expand on your comments so that there is no need for anyone to keep coming back to query your thinking? I notice that you have a habit in many threads of dropping some 'cryptic' one-liner and then you need to come back to expand your line of thought. This is a DISCUSSION board - so why not make it easier for everyone to actually DISCUSS things by being more open with your thoughts and wasting less of everyone's time.
  • Options
    So why don't you expand on your comments so that there is no need for anyone to keep coming back to query your thinking? I notice that you have a habit in many threads of dropping some 'cryptic' one-liner and then you need to come back to expand your line of thought. This is a DISCUSSION board - so why not make it easier for everyone to actually DISCUSS things by being more open with your thoughts and wasting less of everyone's time.

Perception is important.

Discussing facts and evidence is still discussion albeit somewhat more succinct.
  • Options
    Discussing facts and evidence is still discussion albeit somewhat more succinct.

"Discussing facts and evidence is still discussion". Hmmmm ... there is a clue in that somewhere. I wish you'd do it more often. ;)
  • Options
    Don't forget these people ...they still need us.
    Notice how a lot of critisism has now started about how the aid was handled ...especially the way the Americans handled it?