Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tenancy issues

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to be posting in but here goes.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me with an issue my partner and I are having with our landlord. We originally signed a 6month term contract for our tenancy, which expired in October. We have found a new place we would like to move into, so we have given the landlord written notice of us moving out in one month (8th February). The landlord has accepted our notice, but has said that we must move out on the 24th or the end of next month - this creates a problem for us as we have already paid bond for the new place and means we will be overlapping on our rent payments.

I have double checked our original contract and there is nothing that says anything about having to move out on a specific date, and further more to the best of my understanding we are no longer bound to that contract because it has expired.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Michael

Comments

• Options
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/tenant-rights

"Tenants on periodic tenancies or rolling agreements should give one month's notice in writing, ending on the day rent is due."
  • Options
    Hi Michael,

Sorry to hear about that, sounds like a really frustrating situation.

It may be worth contacting Shelter though our question and answer service, askTheSite, just to help clarify the situation. As you say the contract has expired so it does appear, from Katralla's link, that you now count as being on a rolling agreement.
    From the date the fixed-term ends a tenant can leave, but should still give a month's notice to the landlord. If the tenant opts not to leave, the tenancy becomes a rolling agreement.

You can ask a question here -

http://www.thesite.org/community/askthesite/askaquestion