Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Been living unhealthy lifestyle most of life, want change

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, im 17 and have been living an un-healthy since about year 7, im 18 now and very overweight, i want change but dont know how to do it, i have no problem with excersise and actually enjoy jogging in the streets at night with my mp3 on (dont like gyms) but my main problem is i eat when i am bored, any pointers on how to stop this, and whilst we are at it, anyone got any tips on how to lose alot of weight in 7 months (im going on holiday in 7 months and want to lose as much weight as possible)

i know every overweight person sais it but im really determined this time.

thank you in advance

Comments

• Options
    Start by keeping a food diary so you can see any patterns in when you get bored and eat. Then, the next week, plan some activities to fill your boredom eating times.
  • Options
    When you're eating anything, whether it's breakfast, a slice of toast, bit of chocolate, whatever, go and sit at a table and only eat. Don't eat whilst watching telly or on the computer. Make eating an activity in itself and don't blur it into a bit of everything that you do.
    If you enjoy jogging just keep it up. Long duration low intensity stuff is best for burning fat, so jog for over half an hour if you can. Also do some higher intensity stuff like a spin class or some circuits to build muscle. Also when you're a few months in, look up interval training. It's a very good way to take your fitness up when you reach a plateau. It basically involved sprinting, jogging, walking mixed up, so the body has to adapt to recover quickly.

Really good on you for wanting to make a change, I really hope you are able to do it and you can start to build some good habits that will last you a life time! Good luck!
  • Options
    If you do snack maybe you could substitute sweet stuff for fruit? It'll help a lot if bisuits are replaced with a banana or whatever fruit you fancy. But yeah, definately eat set meals at a table rather than eating whilst doing other things. Good luck!
  • Options
    LilzoLilzo Posts: 38 Boards Initiate
    Hey Onboard101,

That’s great that you’ve made the decision that you want to get healthier! And as beachbum says it’s really good that you’ve find an activity that you enjoy doing so you should definitely continue with your running and perhaps the other exercises beachbum suggests. It might also be good for you to include some resistance training once a week which might involve lifting some light weights or doing something like pilates which is really good for toning and lengthening your muscles.

In terms of food, this article might be useful in relation to what’s good to eat when you’re working out. And as Katralla says, a food diary would be a really good idea so you can work out when it is you get the urge to snack and what you could do instead of snacking. If you keep yourself busy doing something you enjoy, so whether it’s reading, emailing friends, going for a bike ride, watching a film etc…you won’t be thinking about snacking as you’ll be too busy enjoying yourself! If you really want to snack though, it’s not necessarily a bad thing as long as you snack on the right foods. Foods like cut up veggies with hummus, fruits and seeds, plain live yoghurt, a couple of crackers with hummus or cottage cheese are all healthy snacks and will keep you satisfied until your next meal and you’ll be less inclined to want to eat junk food.

Good luck with it all and remember not to be too hard on yourself! Foods is for enjoying too so if you fancy a little treat every so often then don’t deprive yourself! :thumb:
  • Options
    thanks for all your advice and support ill tell you how it goes :)
  • Options
    keep exercising dude... google home workouts
  • Options
    Build the exercise into your daily routine so it doesn't seem a chore, eg. cycle to college/work, or get off the bus a few stops earlier and walk a bit further. Or if you live close, walk a longer route!
  • Options
    you can take up smoking
  • Options
    ...and become addicted to the worst drug possible
  • Options
    Why dont you like gyms?
  • Options
    justjames wrote: »
    you can take up smoking

but that wouldn't help... that'd make everything a million times worse.