Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

What Qualifications Do I Need???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to be a vet when i am older. I was just wondering what qualifications i would need and what i would need to do after i had finished my GCSE's. Does anybody have any idea??? Thanx very much.

Comments

• Options
    Chem, Bio and probably Maths or Physics A-levels. At a guess.
  • Options
    Vetinary science is very competitive, so you'll need to do quite well.
  • Options
    Further to that...

You need to do Veterinary Science at University - I think it's a five or seven year course. The holidays are not existent - you do active work experience, lambing or whatever, season dependent.

In order to get there, you need mainly science, and probably Biology for definite at A Level. You also need to put together a good section 10, establishing commitment to vet. sci., usually done by work experience at vets, experience in the fields, etc.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    There are only about 5 unis that do vetinary science, entrance is usually at 3 A's.
  • Options
    As the others said, the course is extremely competitive you will def need AAA A levels to get in, and good GCSE grades.
    Although a friend of mine got AAB, got rejected then did a gap year and then got all offers.

Check out www.ucas.com they will give you links to the Unis which offer the course.

You will also need a lot of work experience; a friend of mine at the moment has adopted a lamb for 48 weeks and will then be taking it to market.

I would also speak to your careers tutor if you have one. Remember, no grades, no place!
  • Options
    Thanx for all your help everybody. I am applying for a summer job in my local vets. I went on a taster course at a colledge near me and i found that from that it is a lot of work but its what i want to do. The workload didn't put me off (which i thought it would). WE looked after the animals for a few days and did so much work on them. I had to look after a bearded dragon from Monday to Friday last week. I spent the whole week at the college learning about them and their anatomy and feeding them and watering them and handling them. It made me want to be a vet even more than before. I don't care how competetive it is its what i want to be. If i fail to become a vet i will go for being a vetinary nurse. Thanx again. Love Tek-ila.