Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Oh my god! Ouch!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have just really badly burnt my hand :( on the bloomin' oven that was at like 160degrees.

Its quite bad, it actually went black and now its white and its really red around it and i'm not sure if the redness is spreading. I put it under water although not straight away because i was jumping around like an idiot for a while and couldn't bring myself to put it under water. I didn't keep it under for long either.

Is there anything else i can do? this is killing me! It goes across my knuckle and towards my thumb :( Its probably gonna scare isnt it :(

Comments

• Options
    Go to the doctor would be my advice or at least the local pharmacist to see if they think you should get it checked out more.
  • Options
    yeah shove it back in water for a bit too- it helps take some of the heat away and ultimately should help a little, then go to the pharmacist or if that's not possible maybe look at the NHS website or something similar for advice?
  • Options
    I can't we are snowed in. Stupid countryside. :( I might go put it under the water again.
  • Options
    I'd be tempted to go hospital tbh.

I badly burned my hand a few years ago and couldn't go, what I did in the end was filled a big saucepan with cold water and just submerged my entire hand in it (I'd burnt pretty much all my hand / wrist except my fingers :/). I had to keep changing the water as when it warmed up the pain was excruciating.

Also, take ibuprofen and paracetemol for maximum pain relief. So now take 2 ibuprofen, in 2 hours 2 paracetemol, in 2 hours another 2 ibuprofen, etc. and repeat. Ibuprofen and paracetemol work in different ways so are safe to take together, and by staggering when you take them you are keeping the average pain relief high. (you cant take any one of them more than 2 every 4 hours)

It sounds like you have second or third degree burns which is why you should go to hospital really.

FWIW though mine did scar initially for about a year - 18 months but the scarring has faded now so you can't really tell unless you are actively looking.

If you can't get to hospital I would phone NHS direct right now as they probably will need to wait for about 2 hours to phone you back, and every moment is agony I know :(
  • Options
    Cheers guys, mum just chased me and put aloe vera on it and not it really stings but the burny sensation has gone. I'll take some pain killers now. It hurts to move my finger :( god i forgot how much burns hurt!
  • Options
    Hm not sure about the aloe vera tbh.. the advice i had back then was to not put stuff on it. But if its helping that something! I'd still call NHS direct if you can't make it to hospital.

0845 4647

As per the NHS website "Deep, or large burns, or burns to the face, hands, or across joints, must always be checked by a doctor and may require hospital treatment. "
  • Options
    First aid for burns: put it under cold, clean, running water for 20 mins.

And ShyBoy's right, you shouldn't put anything on it until you've seen a medic!
  • Options
    If you have to cover it (to keep it clean) you can use cling film. This clings to the skin; but isn't sticky.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    If you have to cover it (to keep it clean) you can use cling film. This clings to the skin; but isn't sticky.

also helps because even air currents sting like a bitch on a bad burn!
  • Options
    Yeah, you're supposed to wrap it in cling film. Don't put it in cold water though, it's supposed to be luke warm.
    Xx
  • Options
    cling film may be a good idea. Its that kind of 'skin' under the top layers of skin where its werid and sticky if you know what i mean lol And its getting fluff in it ¬.¬
  • Options
    eewww sounds icky. Is it feeling any better?
    If you go on the NHS website there is some good advice.
    Xx
  • Options
    It doesn't hurt as much if i leave it and nothing touches it. The painkillers helped lol and the redness isn't as bad. My hand did go a little numb before, but that could of been from keeping it in water.

Last time i put my hand in an oven though!
  • Options
    Don't put it in cold water though, it's supposed to be luke warm.

For a major burn or over a large area, where cold water has a risk of hypothermia, perhaps, but for a small area, cool/cold is the usual advice (did a first aid qualification a while back and this is what they taught). Also it's important that it's running water.

Anyhoo, cling film is a short term solution to keep infection out while you get to hospital - it's not a treatment plan! If the burn is bad enough to need to keep infection out, it needs to be seen by a doctor.
  • Options
    Don't put it in cold water though, it's supposed to be luke warm.
    Xx

You can use cold water... just not ice/icey cold water. Its meant to take the heat out of the burn after all.

Naun, i know you don't wanna hear this :razz: but if you do burn yourself again, try and get it under water as soon as possible, because thats pretty much the most important factor in minimizing the damage.

As soon as you can, get it checked...and in the mean time you could ring the NHS direct to see what they suggest - worth a try. Oh and if any blisters form, leave them be... no popping!

Hope it feels better soon xxx
  • Options
    Can i not put a plaster on it? please! I'm not a fan of having fluff deep in my skin lol. And its got gooey bits and I am also not a fan of gooey bits from deep within my skin layers, thats not suposed to be on the surface. :(
  • Options
    clingfilm it :) works better than a plaster for burns- acts a bit like a layer of skin and is easily changable without sticking to anything, so no pain like a plaster!
    thats what I had at school when someone burnt my arm with a hot pan accidentally in food tech.