Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

clothes sizing

does anyone know of a website that tells you what dress size a 24 inch waist is? as in a uk size 8, 10 or 12?

i've just measured my waist and thats what it is. i'm trying to now find out my dress size as i want to buy a new dress for my birthday that fits me around that area properly without being baggy.

every single clothes website i go onto though is giving me different results :| i realise that sizing will be different in different shops but if i wanna get a dress from elsewhere that doesn't provide a sizing guide, i wanna know what size i am roughly so i have a chance of it fitting!

its well annoying. why can't sizes be standard everywhere? :banghead:

eta: i'm buying a dress online as i can't be arsed going out for one hence why i want to know what size i am!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well I'm a 26 inch waist and a size 8/10 so I reckon you'll be a size 8.

If you also measure your bust and hips as well then you can match all three measurements to a sizing, rather than just going for a standard size 8 as as you say, different shops have different sizing. You may end up needing a 6 depending on your body shape.
    yeah i have done but when i do, i'm like different sizes all over, lol.

sizing is well annoying. i'm different in every shop i go into.
    In my experience, clothes sizing in different shops rarely bears any resemblance to either standard UK sizing, or the charts provided by the retailers themselves.

If you really want to buy online, I'd suggest leaving extra time so you can exchange for a different size if you need to.

I just know from experience what size I'm likely to be in each shop, cause it's sometimes vastly different.
    Basically every clothing website has a size guide. Just use the size guide from where you are buying it from?

I know what you mean though, my size varies so much in shops.
    theres no answer. You just have to try stuff on.
    I vary in size between an 8 and a 12 even in the same shop for some things. Buying online is a nightmare if you want a specific fit, and you certainly cant go by waist size alone
    Basically every clothing website has a size guide. Just use the size guide from where you are buying it from...
    some websites don't have a size guide though...well some that i've been on don't. most do but some little ones don't. plus i like buying some stuff off ebay and thriftstore on livejournal and they don't really have a size guide on as its people just selling stuff on. people just say what size it is!

mmmm, i might just grin and bear it in the shops to try to find something :grump: its gonna be less effort to do that than go backwards and forth to the post office if i have to return something. its just so annoying because sizing everywhere is so messed up and i end up having to try on about 3 sizes to get one that fits right and then i get all worked up and grumpy :blush:.

it would just be nice to know what size i am really and be able to just buy stuff online :( i just don't understand why sizes vary so much. some shops make their clothes massive (like miss selfridge) to make girls feel better about themselves yet others make them small so i'm different everywhere. its just frustrating :banghead:
    theres no answer. You just have to try stuff on.
    I vary in size between an 8 and a 12 even in the same shop for some things. Buying online is a nightmare if you want a specific fit, and you certainly cant go by waist size alone

you see, i have done in the past for dresses but this is back when i had a bigger waist and i just knew that i'd be a 10 or 12 in most things.

i'm going for a slim waist sort of dress i think so thats why i'm gonna use my waist size. i won't be getting something thats tight around the hips i don't think. probably something a bit floaty around that area so my hip measurement won't matter that much. as for my bust, its disappeared so you know, i'm not worried about them not fitting in :(

mmmm, i might just grin and bear it in the shops to try to find something :grump: its gonna be less effort to do that than go backwards and forth to the post office if i have to return something. its just so annoying because sizing everywhere is so messed up and i end up having to try on about 3 sizes to get one that fits right and then i get all worked up and grumpy :blush:.

it would just be nice to know what size i am really and be able to just buy stuff online :( i just don't understand why sizes vary so much. some shops make their clothes massive (like miss selfridge) to make girls feel better about themselves yet others make them small so i'm different everywhere. its just frustrating :banghead:

I know what you mean, i hate shopping and having to try on lots of sizes, and if i have to get one size bigger than i would usually get in another shop i get really grumpy lol I have an awkward body shape so its hard to judge with me, my boobs are quite big but then my waist is like a 26/27 so i have to get a size bigger to get them in (lol)and i hate it.
    I know what you mean, i hate shopping and having to try on lots of sizes, and if i have to get one size bigger than i would usually get in another shop i get really grumpy lol I have an awkward body shape so its hard to judge with me, my boobs are quite big but then my waist is like a 26/27 so i have to get a size bigger to get them in (lol)and i hate it.

ha, i used to have that problem. i used to have E cup boobs. they used to pop out of everything, haha.

i don't even know what i am now as they've shrunk so much...probably a B cup or C cup :( booooo. i miss my boobs.

ah well, you can't have it all i guess!
    I think you know that you are probably a size 8 in most things.
    katralla wrote: »
    I think you know that you are probably a size 8 in most things.

i'm really not though. i'm different in every single shop i go into.

like today, i'm wearing a pair of size 10 jeans that fit nicely whereas i have a pair in my wardrobe that are size 8 that are now too big for me. how does that work? i have the same problem with tops, dresses, etc. i'm different in everything. size 8, size 10, size 12...it all means nothing nowadays. thats why i posted this thread to see what a size 8 or 10 ACTUALLY is as i'm finding it really annoying.

pfft, doesn't matter anyway. it doesn't look like i'm going to be able to order online and i'll have to go shopping in town :yuck:
    Well... In some shops I can fit in a size 4-6 and other shops I am a 10! In most the major shops the sizes are pretty close together, it's just in smaller shops they are wildly different. (That's what I've found anyway) But you're best bet is to get a size 8, and if you can buy a dress that can stretch or be made tighter with a belt!
    Xx
    no other option but to only buy from places you can try things on, or that has a free returns policy
    Olive wrote: »
    I just know from experience what size I'm likely to be in each shop, cause it's sometimes vastly different.

:yes: In most shops i'm a six, but I know if I get a dress from River Island, it has to be an eight, same from ASOS.
    So, hard to tell really. If i'm buying online I'll generally buy a six and hope if it fits. If I'm in a rush and can afford it, I'll buy a six and an eight and send back the one that doesn't fit!
    in topshop, my jeans are a 12. My leggings are a 10 and my coat is an 8

go figure
    in topshop, my jeans are a 12. My leggings are a 10 and my coat is an 8

go figure
    haha. its ridiculous isn't it?

one day, shops might sort their sizing out and we might know what we actually are...
    Oh if only!! It'd be great to just buy something with having to go in the icky changing rooms and try it on.
    Xx
    i also remember a few years ago i had two pairs of trousers from miss selfridge that fitted me perfectly. One was a 12, one was a 6.
    miss selfridges sizes are FAR too big. i'm a size 4/6 in there which i'm very obviously not!
    Yeah, there small sizes are always bigger than they should be. But then the bigger sizes are more... normal. AND it's always mega expensive.
    Xx
    I find New look sizes are big aswell. A size 12 jeans from there is so big on me, they fall down. and i can't wear a belt with them because the top folds over and its annoying. They never used to be as big.
    Miss Selfridge just needs to get its sizing act together. I went in once, looked at some trousers, and the sizes 4 and 6 were exactly the same. The 8s were the teeniest of teeny amounts bigger, but there wasn't a lot of difference.

That said, I don't shop there anyway now that they've gone down the Topshop/Next route of outrageous overpricing. Miss S used to be one of the cheapy shops when I was young! Tut.
    Olive wrote: »
    Tut.

:hyper: :p

Is Miss Selfridge expensive? I thought it was alright compared to others.
    I find New look sizes are big aswell. A size 12 jeans from there is so big on me, they fall down. and i can't wear a belt with them because the top folds over and its annoying. They never used to be as big.

yeah, its the new look jeans that are the size 8 jeans that fall off me.

its my diesel ones that are a size 10 that don't.

i reckon these shops just do it to make girls feel better about themselves. its stupid though because we aren't getting smaller. the clothes are just getting bigger.
    I haven't bought anything from Miss Selfridge for years but I always found most of their trousers in size 8 were too loose on me.
    Is Miss Selfridge expensive? I thought it was alright compared to others.

It's similar to Topshop prices. Not super dear, but expensive for what it is.

New Look sizing is more erratic than big across the boards. Some things are bang on size, and some things are HUGE. Same with the shoes! I've got NL shoes in 3s, 4s and 5s and they all fit :crazyeyes
    I find Next too big.
    Also find trouser lengths vary from shop to shop but maybe that's just me.