Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Surfing the internet during work hours

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I work as a support staff in a school and many people use the computers for personal internet searches, Facebook e-Bay etc. We've got a new manager in our department who is clamping down on non-work related computer use

How strict is internet use at your workplace and can the employer get you into trouble for it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    I work as a support staff in a school and many people use the computers for personal internet searches, Facebook e-Bay etc. We've got a new manager in our department who is clamping down on non-work related computer use

How strict is internet use at your workplace and can the employer get you into trouble for it?

We are allowed to use it at lunch, and when we are super quiet with no work coming in.
    skakitty wrote: »
    We are allowed to use it at lunch, and when we are super quiet with no work coming in.
    Did notice on internet discussions sites there are more postings around lunchtime.

Are you a site.org forum poster during work lunch?
    when im at work i spend loads of my time on the internet, but job is not well defined so it might be something i spend extra time out of hours getting things going etc. so it works out as a happy balance.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    when im at work i spend loads of my time on the internet, but job is not well defined so it might be something i spend extra time out of hours getting things going etc. so it works out as a happy balance.
    Lucky you- got an easy job
    I used to in one of my old jobs, as I needed to be able to check on certain sports fixtures or events. Not necessarily national level, I'm talking about local things, which might explain certain discrepancies in expected data.
    youve done this one before :]

thought it seemed familiar.
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    Lucky you- got an easy job

I like to think so.
    youve done this one before :]

thought it seemed familiar.
    You're quite right- back in May. Thanks for knocking some sense!
    ****** The End **********
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    There used to be a ban on youtube but it got lifted eventually.
    There's few of us anyway, and we all know not to procrastinate. I only ever do that when on a lunch break or if there's not much else to do. Plus it can help clear my head.
    They've gone all super strict at work. Sites are blocked and we are monitored.
    But as I work with the IT boys - we have firefox which bypasses the proxy hehehe.
    I use it when I don't have much to do. I mainly check up on the news site or if we're mucking around on Fridays, I'll show some funny youtubes.
    Same as GothDetectives above at the place I worked up 'til Sept '09. I worked in their IT, had Firefox and browsed non-work related when it was quiet. I did get told off once in mid 2008 because I was using webmail too much. Apparently I upset the network administrator because webmail through Firefox couldn't be monitored, where the bogstandard MS Outlook he can monitor it.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    ............ browsed non-work related when it was quiet. I did get told off once in mid 2008...............
    expect many workplaces are getting stricter as managers realise how their staff get side tracked during work time