Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Not sure whether to continue nursing degree...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i am studying childrens nursing in birmingham, though i admit it is not something i have always wanted to do. originally i wanted to be an air hostess and travel...but after realising that the money wasn't great, i toyed with the idea or nursing after my boyfriend suggested it.

i'll be honest, after having a year off travelling, it was hard to get back into the swing of getting up early and going to lectures. i will be honest, i do not listen at all in lectures and hate them with a passion. i hate living in halls, i dont particularly get on with my flatmates, i hate having no money...i miss home and my house, my boyfriend, my family, having proper food as i cannot afford to buy proper meals.

on the other hand, i have recently started placement and i loved it at first. well i say loved it, but then i have days like today where i detest it. we didnt get any time off at christmas, which is another thing i resent. i did however get to go home for 3 days as my mentor took sympathy on me. i was crying as i arrived back in birmingham, something which always happens as i so badly want to stay at home.

i know that nursing is rewarding, but on the ward...i feel almost like a spare part! i dont do anything interesting most of the time, all i do is go and fetch this or go and ask that. i know it will get better, but i dont know that it will straight away when im qualified as a couple of girls on the ward who have recently graduated are already leaving because they cant hack the pace!

i tell myself that i am having a bad day, but it seems whenever i am feeling low i bring myself back to the fact that i hate uni :(

i probably sound ridiculous, but i dream of having a 9-5 job in an office where i can take time off when i want, have bank holidays off..weekends off....this does not exist in the world of nursing.

i think about dropping out, but then i think about how disappointed my mentor will be plus my family and my boyfriend...who was so proud of me for doing it and has bought me umpteen books on nursing to encourage me. i also fear that i will disappoint my bfs mum who is a nurse, and i have always wanted her to like me and i dont want her to resent me if i drop out.

i guess i need some advice...i have a 13 hour shift tomorrow on the ward and really really do not want to go.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if you did drop out (not suggesting for one second you should do) what would you do as a career instead?

Were you not told about the amount of time you'd get off, when you went to open days and stuff?
    Melian wrote: »
    if you did drop out (not suggesting for one second you should do) what would you do as a career instead?

Were you not told about the amount of time you'd get off, when you went to open days and stuff?

this is what is messing my head up....i am not 100% sure, all i know is that i want to travel in the near future and whilst im on this course, it simply isnt possible. i quite like the idea of working in an office for the time being and gaining some experience...but im not sure if i need qualifications for that. it sounds stupid i know...i have just told me boyfriend that i dont want to do this course and he says he is shattered and was really proud of me....we have now had an argument :(
    We are talking about YOUR career, though, not your boyfriend's. Nursing is a great job, and I imagine it's very rewarding, but it's also long shifts and bloody hard work, and if your heart's not in it, it could break you.

What you really need to decide is what you want to do. Not what everyone else thinks you should do, or what you feel you should do. Cause it's you that's got to put the hours in.

You said that you really enjoyed your placement at first. Do you think that if you persevered and qualified that you would enjoy it? Or was it just a break from the monotony of lectures? Is there something that can be salvaged?

Maybe if you really want to leave, but you do still have an interest in healthcare, you could look at other jobs in that area that are a bit more 9-5? But if you still always come back to really wanting to travel, then I'd look down that avenue.

Most of all, don't make any decisions based on what you think you should do. You boyfriend should be proud of you whatever you decide to do, not just because you've picked his favourite vocational career.