Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

just a little advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im 17 and for the past 2/3 years been feeling extremely low. i always feel nervous and anxious. im still at school and have a lot on with coursework and extra things going on after school. i used to self harm and iv struggled with my weight for as long as i can remember although im not anorexic im size 10 but hate the way i look. i always blame things on myself and dont have any confidence. i dont get on with my mum at all and she doesnt understand me. i never want to go out with friends anymore and im scared these are signs of depression? can anyone tell me if i went to the doctor what would happen? would my parents find out?
:confused::(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it vary's slightly with different Doctors. But with me (16 when i went) I told her about how i felt, what was going on. I didn't have to say anything i didn't want to. I then got a questioare thing i had to fill in, and went back in a week to give it to her. From there she helped me figure out the best option. Whether that was medication or talking to someone. :) and no, they will not tell your parents unless they think you are in imediate danger.

This may help aswell.

http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/depression

:)
    re

Hey lucy17,

Here is some information on GP's and confidentiality.
    Going to your GP sounds like a good first step in addressing your low mood. perhaps make a list of what you want to talk about and how your feel, this may act as a good prompt and memory aide for you. As notanotherusername! has mentioned talking to someone or counselling can be helpful in exploring your feeling and low mood.

Take care and keep posting :wave:
    You sound exactly like me and how i used to be. I used to have anxiety attacks and panic attacks and things were really bad. Weather the doctor wants to tell your parents or not really depends on the doctor, in my case, he said it was up to me weather i spoke to my mum about it or not, as it wasnt a major problem yet, but he adviced me to come in with my mum and we all discussed it and then my mum knew more about the problems i was having and it brought us closer together, so maybe this can be the same for you. Sit down and explain to your mum how you have been feeling. I know its fustrating to think that she doesnt understand you, but if you both sit down and talk, that could change. Although its hard, it does help. I went to councilling for how i was feeling, and was told it wasnt depression, just part of how you might feel at that age, so maybe councilling is something you would benefit from. Good luck and let us know what happens :)
    thanks! really helped me. i just need to make the appointment now. i really hope they dont think im being stupid:(
    lucy17 wrote: »
    thanks! really helped me. i just need to make the appointment now. i really hope they dont think im being stupid:(

They wont think your stupid, its what they are there for :) I thought that but they are so supportive, and i felt so much better just talking about it to someone i knew could help :)
    sorry to be a pain again another question.. will they give me tablets or something? or do you have to speak to a counsellor person?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey, they may offer you tablets, but as notanotherusername! says, they should help you to figure out the best option for your circumstances based on your chats with them - that might be some kind of counselling rather than straight medication or perhaps a combination of things.

Good luck and as Smartie says, let us know how you get on. :)
    i know exactly how you feel, i've been feeling extremely depressed for at least two years. i also want to go to my doctor but have been too scared, good luck to you :)