Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Non-christian christmas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering what you all think on this...
Xx
(P.S I am not a christian personally)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's hypocritical.

If you're not a Christian or at least sympathetic to the religion, you shouldn't reap the festivals religion brings.

I am staying in London this year, not celebrating it with family.
    Yeah, that's what I thought.... on BBC news they are going to interview a humanist who celebrates christmas... to me that is not humanism.
    Xx
    i celebrate it as a cultural thing rather than a religious thing
    i celebrate it as a cultural thing rather than a religious thing

:yes:

There's definitely a place for a more secular Christmas. Of course it's commercial now, and all that crap, but any time of year which is about bank holidays, people and families being together and being generally merry is ok by me, whether you go to midnight mass or not. :thumb:
    Namaste wrote: »
    It's hypocritical.

If you're not a Christian or at least sympathetic to the religion, you shouldn't reap the festivals religion brings.

Nonsense.

Festivels evolve over time. In the same way that once-Pagan festivels were adopted by Christians, there's no reason why Christian festivels shouldn't be celebrated by non-religious people, as a time of togetherness, or just general merryment.

To actively ignore the events and take the "bah, humbug!" route just suggests inner resentment at other people's ability to be happy. I see no reason why people should not enjoy themselves as they see fit. There's no hypocracy to it.
    What Mist says :)

There was an item on BBC Breakfast a little while ago with people (non-religious) banging on that they didn't have anything (like a day or something) with which to celebrate at Christmas time. Well....

1. Get over yourself.
    2. Stop moaning like a spoilt kid.
    3. Do something about it.
    4. It's easy to celebrate this time of year, religious or not. End of another year, giving to the people you love/care about. Throwing a party with lots of tasty nibbles. A big family meal where you push the boat out a little. They're not exclusively for Christians.
    I think most people, religious or not, like to have a time of year when they get together with family and friends, look back on the year that has passed and think about the upcoming year, have time off work to relax and have fun, and to give and receive gifts to people that matter to them. As an atheist, it is easiest to do this at Christmas time, because we live in a Christian country and everyone else is celebrating, and given time off work. If I lived in a Muslim country, I would probably do this at Eid. If I lived in a Hindu country, it would probably be Diwali. In Russia, it would be new year's day.

Since Christmas falls on what was originally a pagan festival anyway, and not on the actual day of the birth of Christ, you don't have to be remembering Jesus in any way to join in at Christmas. If it necessitated going to church, praying, or any other religious practice then it would be slightly different, but it is perfectly possible to have a completely secular Christmas.

Finally, no doubt, if atheists attempted to invent a new, secular holiday in which they could hold similar celebrations, requesting time off work and advertising it as an enitrely non-religious holiday, there would be the usual huffing and rolling of eyes. Particularly if Dawkins expressed an opinion on the matter!
    Never mind that Christianity nicked the festival in the first place eh?

I celebrate Xmas in every way that Xmas is to be celebrated, and I'm not religious. In fact, I don't see any religious exclusivity to any of the traditions associated with the festival.

Xmas tree? Fuck all to do with religion.

Being nice to others? Most certainly not exclusive of religion (some might be inclined to say that quite the opposite is the case, in fact)

Presents for kids? Again, by no means a tradition that belongs to religion.

Family and friends reunions over a lavish meal? Ditto.

As far as I'm concerned most religious people don't celebrate Xmas in a very religious manner themselves. Not unless they go to church to mark the day or the theme of Christmas Day is overtly religious- which in the immense majority of cases is not.
    I see the tail end of "The War on Christmas" is still raging on. :rolleyes:
    Seriously, who gives a fuck on whether Christians or Humanists/Atheists celebrate the supposed birthday of Christ? And why all the hard ons about the EXACT date? For Christians looking to evangelise it's the perfect time to teach non-believers who are interested in the gospel etc...
    On the other side of the fence it's the perfect time for everyone to get together and enjoy each other's company without religion's influence.

On a more serious note, Christian's take note: Jesus wants a PS3

http://newsarse.com/2009/12/17/jesus-secretly-hoping-for-a-playstation-3-on-his-birthday/
    People that whinge about how nobody celebrates the "true meaning" of Christmas remind me of the type of people who always moan that no-one celebrates St. George's Day. If you want to celebrate a certain festival in a certain way, then do it. Why the concern over what everyone else is doing?
    The tree is a religous thing ...says so in the old testament.
    It should only be none xtrians who celebrate it if you want to get down to the real nuts and bolts of it seeing as it has nothing to do whatsoever with xtrianity.
    AND ...WHATS ALL THIS BOLLOX ABOUT FAMILY GETTING TOGETHER ONCE A YEAR
    ?
    What about people like me who would love to have a celebration once a year where I can escape the fuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's started ...the drinking has already started for me and usually lasts about two weeks ...have a good time everyone ...

hic:crazyeyes
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It's hypocritical.

In that case, you must never say that we're in 2009. That's a Christian way to count years. :p
    The winter solstice is when days are shortest, and fall at about the time of the last of the grass and fresh vegetables.

That's why it's a perfect time for a feast to lift the spirits, lay down a little extra fat on the body, and reduce the amount of livestock you have to feed from your stores.

That's why we have a winter festival, and that's why its fine for the secular to take part - no matter what religion has co-opted it.
    I'm always a bit bemused as to what "celebrating Christmas" actually means. I get two weeks off where I eat and drink too much, buy people shit, and stock up on socks and pants. I don't celebrate anything, really. At what point does my merriment encroach on Christian tradition?
    Big Gay wrote: »
    The winter solstice is when days are shortest, and fall at about the time of the last of the grass and fresh vegetables.

That's why it's a perfect time for a feast to lift the spirits, lay down a little extra fat on the body, and reduce the amount of livestock you have to feed from your stores.

That's why we have a winter festival, and that's why its fine for the secular to take part - no matter what religion has co-opted it.

Agreed.
    Merry Winter Solstice, Big Gay. Now where's the mead?
    oh god, mead is the best
    It should only be none xtrians who celebrate it if you want to get down to the real nuts and bolts of it seeing as it has nothing to do whatsoever with xtrianity.

Quite so, morrocan roll.

It appears there are some who actually read the instruction manual for themselves rather than believing the hearsay of preachers claiming to know the rules.

Didn't Pagans have evergreens to remind everyone summer was coming and to bring luck or something?
    Xx
    In the old testament ...long before xtrianity it said ...there are those who cut down trees and fasten legs to them ...they decorate the trees with gold and silver ...do not be afraid of these ignorant people.
    In the old testament ...long before xtrianity it said ...there are those who cut down trees and fasten legs to them ...they decorate the trees with gold and silver ...do not be afraid of these ignorant people.

Jeremiah 10
    Jeremiah 10

Amazing!
    I was dreading someone asking me where cos I couldn't remember:D
    Some historians have linked the tree to Nimrod, a relative of Noah.

There are accounts of pagan worship of the tree as a symbol of Nimrod's reincarnation/resurrection.
    Happy Winter Solstice!
    justjames wrote: »
    Happy Winter Solstice!
    How about if we had started out teaching people to be happy and giving ...for three hundred days of the year?
    yeah but that would be boring, unless we could all be mean on christmas as a treat
    Mist wrote: »
    Nonsense.

Festivels evolve over time. In the same way that once-Pagan festivels were adopted by Christians, there's no reason why Christian festivels shouldn't be celebrated by non-religious people, as a time of togetherness, or just general merryment.

To actively ignore the events and take the "bah, humbug!" route just suggests inner resentment at other people's ability to be happy. I see no reason why people should not enjoy themselves as they see fit. There's no hypocracy to it.
    I am not a ba humbug kinda gal... I'm pretty chilled.

I just think if you're not a Christian, it's stupid to celebrate Christmas. Unless of course you wish to celebrate Eid as well. :) It's too consumerist and fake for my liking.

Each to their own, but as a non-Christian, I will not be celebrating it... But will enjoy an empty flat and peace and quiet on my part. ^_^
    How about if we had started out teaching people to be happy and giving ...for three hundred days of the year?
    its possible. but then Christmas season sales would lose its meaning. and isnt that what Christmas is all about?
    I am not a ba humbug kinda gal... I'm pretty chilled.

I just think if you're not a Christian, it's stupid to celebrate Christmas.
    If one went to Church or thought of the occasion as the anniversary of the birth of an alleged deity while being non-believers, simply because it was Christmas, then it would be stupid.

If someone however uses the date to have a nice meal with family and friends and enjoy the Holiday atmosphere and watch kids look forward to Santa, then it is not stupid at all- it is nice, and more to the point, such celebrations are not exclusive of Christians at all.

As a compromise however I'll be happy to spell Christmas as Xmas for the rest of my life :)
    Aladdin wrote: »
    If one went to Church or thought of the occasion as the anniversary of the birth of an alleged deity while being non-believers, simply because it was Christmas, then it would be stupid.

If someone however uses the date to have a nice meal with family and friends and enjoy the Holiday atmosphere and watch kids look forward to Santa, then it is not stupid at all- it is nice, and more to the point, such celebrations are not exclusive of Christians at all.

As a compromise however I'll be happy to spell Christmas as Xmas for the rest of my life :)
    Each to their own... But I still see it as a Christian and capitalist thing personally.

I also don't think it should be a compulsory public holiday (though granted this is technically a Christian country)... If you're on a low wage, it can be crippling.

But then I am more of a Solstice kinda person and also too lazy to genuinely care about how people celebrate Christmas, Eid... I just on't understand it is all.
    But then I am more of a Solstice kinda person ...

Do you mean by this, that you are Wiccan?