Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Self Harm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi,
just feelin a lil shit atm.......not sure what to do....i try not to s/h as i don't want all of the problems with it ya know but it just doesn't seem to be doing anything atm - im not copin n got xmas without support - not sure what to do?? :crying:
i wanted to stop s/h as i know how bad it is - but i just can't seem to cope without it.....not even seeing the blood or feelin the pain does anything anymore......
my mum knows of a mental health worker who is really good but i don't want to have to go through my mum in order to cope ya know....i don't want her knowin anything about it...
not sure what to do....
xflower123x:confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi there flower :)

Sorry to hear you're still struggling with the sh.

Not sure what your worries are around working with this MH worker - if its helpful remember that your sessions will be confidential so although your mum would know you were engaging with the worker (which she might do whoever you see?) she wouldn't be able to find out what you talk about/ the kind of support you get, particularly if you were to contract with the worker around this?

It also sounds like being independent is really important to you in all of this - could you talk to your mum about this?

Keep posting, it sounds like weighing up different types of support out there is a positive move in the ongoing struggle to manage your feelings and dependency on self harming.

Take care :wave:
    Hi Flower!

If you want to see "blood" and feel pain, then there are safer alternatives:
    drawing on yourself with a big red marker pen
    crunching ice cubes in your hands
    there's more methods here at
    http://www.selfharm.net/fself.html

I know this might seem a bit "no shit sherlock" advice, but have you tried ringing the samaritans? I know it sounds weird, but talking to a stranger (I found) was a bit more helpfull than talking to someone who knows you personally.

Stay safe
    heya guys,
    ive not rung the samaritans as i always feel really stigmatised with my condition but also with the stigma of using the samaritans - i hate not being able to cope on my own - i feel stupid.
    yeh maybe it would be gud to get in contact with the m/h worker as i know that she can't tell my mum - its just that i don't trust my mum's hospital at all!!!!
    they made me stay in hospital for 3 weeks and they said a couple of days.
    sorry am moaning again - just struggling atm.
    thanks for the advice.
    x
    flower123 wrote: »
    heya guys,
    ive not rung the samaritans as i always feel really stigmatised with my condition but also with the stigma of using the samaritans - i hate not being able to cope on my own - i feel stupid.
    yeh maybe it would be gud to get in contact with the m/h worker as i know that she can't tell my mum - its just that i don't trust my mum's hospital at all!!!!
    they made me stay in hospital for 3 weeks and they said a couple of days.
    sorry am moaning again - just struggling atm.
    thanks for the advice.
    x

To some extent it almost sounds like you're playing a part in creating this 'stigma'. The Samaritans deal with people going through the same thing as you all the time, it is what they are there for.... so if you think talking stuff through would help, please give them a call. And also, I don't really think there is a stigma attached to calling them.... especially since unless you tell someone... nobody has to know you called!

Good idea to get in contact with your mental health worker... they have strict rules on confidentiality and so as you've said, there would be no reason why your mum would be told.

All the best :)
    re

Hey flower123,

It sounds like there are a few options of support between your m/h worker and the samaritans.
    If you do decide to call the samaritans perhaps it maybe worth exploring your feelings around the stigma, if you can dipel and understand your feelings around the stigma it may help you moving forward and having more outlets of support.

Indeed please feel free to discuss your feelings here at the site, other people maybe feeling the same!

take care and keep posting:)