Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Been summoned to court for not paying council tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Except we've sent them a letter we were given from our universisties stating that we are students, and that all occupiers of the property are students. This was weeks ago and we've just got a letter summoning us to court for not paying council tax. I've checked and double checked their website that a property with all students occupying it is completly exempt from council tax, and it is. It's got my other two house mates really worried and panicy. Tis not the good christmas cheer we were hoping for.

We live in the borough of Hackney in London, and I don't really know what to do; i'm calling them tomorrow first thing when their offices open, to tell them to stop being such useless c*nts. But if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Be polite. Explain your case, send them the evidence again if necessary. If it goes to court - take evidence that you let them now and it'll all be fine. If it goes to court and you don't turn up -it'll get ruled in the council's favour. In my experience.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not turning up is the worst thing you can do, if you've got a good case get all your relevant paperwork together, including proof that you're students in full time education and take it with you.