Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anyone know what this means?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to apply for a job and one of the things the ad stipulates that candidates must have is the "ability to generate creative arts, entertainment and music platforms". The job is arts correspondent for a newspaper and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what kind of platforms they mean...any ideas??

Comments

• Options
    I expect it'll be something where if you have to ask you're probably not suitable for the job, most likely a trade reference or something. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it was something to do with music software.
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    ... must have is the "ability to generate creative arts, entertainment and music platforms".

Perhaps they are referring to someone who is able to organise and arrange creative 'platforms' such as live show events to promote art, entertainment or music, depending on what the employer or client requires. I probably need to read the ad to understand the context better.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I expect it'll be something where if you have to ask you're probably not suitable for the job

Yeah, you're probably right :( It's frustrating though because all the other stuff they've mentioned I have more than enough experience in and it's a job I really think I could do and would enjoy - it's just that one aspect I'm not sure about. Oh well, I'll send my CV and letter in anyway, can't hurt.

Teagan, the ad says:

A journalist required with a passion for the arts, to bring flair and creativity to print titles, online and in the studio. The successful candidate should have an interest in music. They will manage newspaper sections and generate features and reviews. Applicants must be able to demonstrate the following:

*First-class writing skills
    *The ability to produce accurate copy to daily deadlines
    *A strong portfolio of arts features and reviews
    *Ability to generate creative arts, entertainment and music platforms
    *Experience in front of camera would be an asset but not essential
  • Options
    To me, it's suggesting that you can write articles/get the people together to write articles based on a theme. Say urban dance music, poets of the 19th century, modern architecture etc. These would be your platforms.

So say your paltform would be 19th century poets, you'd need to show you can research or get people together to write articles based on your 'platform'.

Of course, i could be totally wrong in which case tell the twats to write in clear english what they bloody want !
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I expect it'll be something where if you have to ask you're probably not suitable for the job, most likely a trade reference or something. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it was something to do with music software.

I disagree. I don't know what they mean by that, but I reckon I could do that job. I'm inclined to agree with what RS said - they should probably just explain it better - 'platform' is generic and used in so many different contexts these days - like we use it at YouthNet to refer to websites on mobile - it's another media 'platform'.

Good luck SG :)
  • Options
    Oh, I've seen this ad, I work for the same company. Never seen anything put like that before, but they are very in to multi media stuff so I imagine they want to see evidence of blogging, social media, twitter, making websites, or knowing how to upload things to websites, just as another way of attracting readers.

Basically being aware that as well as print they do do a lot of online stuff, so just think what sort of things you could bring to that area too.

PM me if you have any more questions - their interviews are nearly always the same as they have a set list of questions to ask.