Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Pre-Budget Report

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm bloody annoyed :banghead:

As I earn over £20,000 a year I will have to pay more tax. National Insurance is also going up.

Me and my hubby have NEVER claimed ANY form of benefit, in fact a couple of years ago when my hubby was made redundant he was told he didn't qualify for anything as we lived with my mum and apparently I could afford to pay his rent for him.

I was ill a couple of months ago and had to pay over £28 for my prescriptions. My hubby then got ill the following week, that was more money on prescriptions and he doesn't get sick pay either (fortunately I do).

We have a one bedroom flat with a huge mortgage (we are in negative equity). It pisses me off greatly that because I worked hard at school and college and now work hard at my job I have to pay for heroin addicts, lazy layabout scroats and miss fuckmelots who has 6 kids by different men and has never done a days work in her life.

I would like to add that I have NO problem helping those in genuine need such as those who have lost their jobs, I have no problem contributing towards the eldery and various other needy groups but I do have a problem in general with the system in this country. Like the NHS not paying for treatment for people dying or losing their eyesight, but paying for the fat cow who lives down the road to have a gastric band fitted cos she ate herself to an obese size. :banghead: :banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    wow.
    Yeah, but just think. We now own some of the biggest banks in the world. Worth it, eh? :rolleyes:
    I am feeling your pain Fruit Loop.

I am sure I will repay you all (with interest!) once I have graduated and if I manage to find a job (unless ofc the mob takes hold and manages to ban the banking profession, in which case I'll be going on the dole..).
    Stop worrying your all going to be unemployed in 2010 anyway ...betya.
    Stop worrying your all going to be unemployed in 2010 anyway ...betya.

I should have taken you up on the bet that bread was going to be costing me £10 a loaf right about now.
    I should have taken you up on the bet that bread was going to be costing me £10 a loaf right about now.

Yeah, what's up with the bread? In 2002, just 7 years ago, I remember the most expensive loaf (Warburtons seeded batch) costing 75p. Now it's almost double to £1.45. Otherwise, prices tend to double every 20 years. E.g. a Mars Bar was 21p in 1990. Now it's 42p.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Yeah, what's up with the bread? In 2002, just 7 years ago, I remember the most expensive loaf (Warburtons seeded batch) costing 75p. Now it's almost double to £1.45. Otherwise, prices tend to double every 20 years. E.g. a Mars Bar was 21p in 1990. Now it's 42p.

It's not something I know too much about. I suspect there are a number of factors to do with the production of the ingredients that have forced the price up. Fields being given over to bio-fuel production, perhaps?

MR's doom and gloom always makes me laugh: "We're all going to be wheel-barrowing cash to the shops in six months time". :D
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    Me and my hubby have NEVER claimed ANY form of benefit, ...

I was ill a couple of months ago and had to pay over £28 for my prescriptions. My hubby then got ill the following week, that was more money on prescriptions and he doesn't get sick pay either (fortunately I do).

Do you know how much those drugs actually cost though? Sure you pay a prescription charge but the cost of the medication is actually higher and you are subsidised by the NHS. Worth thinking about. Especially when you consider that the vast majority of bankrupcies in the US are directly related to health costs including the cost of medication.
    I would like to add that I have NO problem helping those in genuine need such as those who have lost their jobs, I have no problem contributing towards the eldery and various other needy groups but I do have a problem in general with the system in this country. Like the NHS not paying for treatment for people dying or losing their eyesight, but paying for the fat cow who lives down the road to have a gastric band fitted cos she ate herself to an obese size. :banghead: :banghead:

Because the cost of treating her diabetes, heart condition, immobility etc would be so much higher....

Of course you could argue it was self inflicted, but then you could argue that for plenty of health conditions - have a back problem then you should have lifted things properly. Broke you leg playing football, well you shouldn't have played. Head injury because of car accident, well don't drive etc

Why wait until people are dying or are losing their eyesight before helping them?
    As for the NI increase, well, thing could be (and will be) worse. Rather than concerntrating about complaints against those how get more than they should, why not focus on those who have and could contribute more by actually paying tax on earningn for example - that would reap so much more benefit...
    About the NI thing, the reason it annoys me is that I have asthma and if I didn't take my inhaler I WOULD end up in hospital. I have to pay for my prescriptions. A friend of mine has a son who was born with a heart defect and he is on medication for life, without which he would also be seriously ill. He also has to pay for his prescriptions. I do agree with the NHS mostly, but it does not seem fair how they work out who is exempt from paying.

Just bugs me the number of people I see around my town who openly claim benefits because they can and because they can't be bothered to work, including a heroin addict who is often disposing of his needles at the chemist when I go in to pay for my inhaler so that I can breathe, which I am collecting on my way home from work.

£20,000 a year is not, in my opinion, a huge amount to earn. And what is the point in going to Uni nowadays? fair play if you want to be,say, a teacher which requires the qualifications, but if it is to better yourself and earn a better wage, what is the point?

I just wrote SO much stuff here and deleted it cos I sound a lil crazy, I'm just feeling peed off right now. I want to vote next year as people fought for my right to vote, but they are all just a bunch of hypocrites.
    it does not seem fair how they work out who is exempt from paying.

I believe the rules date back to the 1960s or something.

MR's doom and gloom always makes me laugh: "We're all going to be wheel-barrowing cash to the shops in six months time". :D

:D Mark my words young man ...it would have been this year but I didn't imagine for a moment that the public would be forced to cough up the money to bail us out like this.
    If the public hadn't been bludgeond for the money ...the squeeling bankers would be out of a job ...as would most of the western world soooo ...the fifty pound ...thats fifty pound loaf ...has been delayed till the end of 2010. They're printing the money as we speak.
    What happened to the dream of living in a capitalist society aye?
    Just like democracy ...it never quite happened did it.:birthday:
    Im currently on less than £20,000
    including a heroin addict who is often disposing of his needles at the chemist

What would you rather have him do?
    Here in Wales scripts are free ...paid for by the English taxpayer of course ...
    "National Insurance
    There will be a 0.5pc increase in National Insurance contributions from April 2011, although those earning less than £20,000 a year will be unaffected. It means that a worker earning £50,000 a year to pay an extra £1,248 a year from the National Insurance increase."

0.5% doesn't sound like much until you read that! Thats like an extra £100 per month if you are earning £50k!

Looks like I'll be paying out more as I earn more than £20,000 :( Rubbish!

Ah well, suppose theres nothing you can do about it!
    Feel I should point out that those earning over £20,000 a year recently benefited from the abolition of the 10p tax rate, which shafted many of those on lower incomes who really needed that extra allowance.
    What would you rather have him do?

Stab himself in the neck with it and kill himself? do the world a favor

I see Fruit loops point and can agree with her on some aspects and it is annoying that a lot of us work so a lot of people who in my opinion "falsly" claim benifits can live scott free.

Those junkies who refuse to work, get free money for smack for having 50kids do my nut in and should be blooming castrated.
    "National Insurance
    There will be a 0.5pc increase in National Insurance contributions from April 2011, although those earning less than £20,000 a year will be unaffected. It means that a worker earning £50,000 a year to pay an extra £1,248 a year from the National Insurance increase."

0.5% doesn't sound like much until you read that! Thats like an extra £100 per month if you are earning £50k!

Looks like I'll be paying out more as I earn more than £20,000 :( Rubbish!

Ah well, suppose theres nothing you can do about it!

This I disagree with you about, earning 50k a year = £4,166.00 per month, tbh if I can live on half of that I am sure someone can spare £100.00 of it

also you earn over £20k a year your BF must be earning atleast 14/15k a year and you can't live on 35k a year? thats a very expensive lifestyle as I can manage to live/feed a family on £18k a year (£14k plus £3-5k from working/child tax credit)

ETA - Do I get extra help in benifits, yes I do but I would say I do not laze about doing F-all, I work 40-50hours per week with added overtime, work my arse off, If I quit my job I would get more money and be better off I am but I have morals and ethics, do I think I deserve the benifits, well I would say so, it is not my fault minimum wage can not support a family.

Oh and before anyone ask's Laura does not work as childcare costs in the local area would take her entire yearly earnings so we'd be in the same situation.
    Hellfire wrote: »
    This I disagree with you about, earning 50k a year = £4,166.00 per month, tbh if I can live on half of that I am sure someone can spare £100.00 of it

also you earn over £20k a year your BF must be earning atleast 14/15k a year and you can't live on 35k a year? thats a very expensive lifestyle as I can manage to live/feed a family on £18k a year (£14k plus £3-5k from working/child tax credit)

after tax its only £2,984.26 though. that isn't LOADS if theres only one person bringing in the money for a family. £100 a month could make a real difference to some people. you say you can live on half of that but some people can't who have bigger mortgages, bigger families, more financial commitments, etc.

can i just ask, why are you mentionning my boyfriend? why does what he earns come into this? my boyfriend happens to earn alot more than £20,000 so will be hit by this alot harder than me. however, that won't affect me because its HIS income. why should what HE earns affect my tax? why do people assume that if you are a couple living together, you put your incomes together and share it? :p we don't work like that. we have a joint bank account for household bills only (e.g mortgage, food, electricity, etc) that we both put a certain amount in per month. whatever is left of our own individual incomes is our own to spend.

if i was to be judged by what my fella earnt, i'd be at a real disadvantage.
    I'm bloody annoyed :banghead:

As I earn over £20,000 a year I will have to pay more tax. National Insurance is also going up.

Me and my hubby have NEVER claimed ANY form of benefit, in fact a couple of years ago when my hubby was made redundant he was told he didn't qualify for anything as we lived with my mum and apparently I could afford to pay his rent for him.

We have a one bedroom flat with a huge mortgage (we are in negative equity). It pisses me off greatly that because I worked hard at school and college and now work hard at my job I have to pay for heroin addicts, lazy layabout scroats and miss fuckmelots who has 6 kids by different men and has never done a days work in her life.

I hate that me and mine paid for your education and you're still a dumb fuck.
    I'm on £26k, I think it means I'm paying an extra 0.5p in the pound or something? Whatever it is, I don't mind paying it. The country's fucked, if we've all got to help then thats what we have to do. At least you're only paying £28 for prescriptions, it's much more in other countries, and I do believe if you're getting regular, repeat prescriptions for an illness then they're free if you can't afford them. In the USA you're left to die. I know which system I prefer.
    Please remember no matter how much you disagree with each other it's best to remain civil. Being angry at someone's point of view doesn't help move a debate forward.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I do believe if you're getting regular, repeat prescriptions for an illness then they're free if you can't afford them.

This is incorrect:
    There are certain conditions that exempt people from paying for prescriptions - even those earning 100Ks+ a year. They are free if you're income support or income based job seekers.

I get mine free due to a medical problem - what I earn, what I have coming in from student finance and my savings are irrelevant.
    after tax its only £2,984.26 though. that isn't LOADS

I am sorry but I have to disagree, it does seem you have some remarkable spending habbits, I do not mean to show you up etc but I earn £220 per week AFTER tax plus £80 tax credits thats a whopping total of £1300 per month (I did this by doing £300 x 52 / 12) now ok I understand peoples living costs can be higher and I apologise for miss understanding how you n your BF live so I "assume" correct me if I am wrong that you pay half of your house hold bills with your £3k per month? I do apologise but I feel you are lucky if I can pay bills, clothe and feed a family of 3 (soon to be four and I can feed four) on over half that per month and live in relative luxary (full sky HD package) full broadband phone line etc etc

I am no way calling you selfish or anything etc and I am sure you work very hard but as was said you did benifit a lot from the drop of the 10p tax bracket.

I had more to add but I forgot....
    Are you sure melian? Pretty sure people on benefits for example can get medication free, and if you're under 18 in full time education.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Are you sure melian? Pretty sure people on benefits for example can get medication free, and if you're under 18 in full time education.

I did mention benefits; but did forget to mention the under 18 (or is it 19?) and full time education stuff.
    I work in the City for a bank. I don't think I'm allowed an opinion any more.
    Melian wrote: »
    I did mention benefits; but did forget to mention the under 18 (or is it 19?) and full time education stuff.

Because I get working tax credit, I get free prescriptions, dentist work and other benifits. It is a massive help with costs etc and I do not need to worry as much
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I apologise for miss understanding how you n your BF live so I "assume" correct me if I am wrong that you pay half of your house hold bills with your £3k per month?

i don't earn £3k a month...where have you got that from? bloody hell. i wish! :lol: i'm only on just over £22k. my fella earns alot more but like i said, we don't combine our income. but yes, i pay almost half of the bills. he pays that little bit more as he earns more and i have to travel 135 miles to work each week (whereas he can walk to work).

you know nothing about me or my finances so you can't really judge me or "show me up" to be honest? i have outgoings that you probably don't and vice versa. you can't say i have "remarkable spending habits" when you know nothing about what i spend my money on? how much my mortgage is, how much i'm left with each month, etc...

and i didn't benefit from the 10p tax bracket actually...not really. i've been in my new job since august. before that i was earning less than £20k.

annnnddd, i'm not that fussed about this anyway. its rubbish yes but like i said before, we can't change it!