Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

To stick to a normal job, or chase my dreams?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm doing a BTEC National Health and Social Care at the moment, but i'm finding it really boring and i don't want to be stuck in a job such as a nurse, care worker. I want to do something more exciting.
I love going to gigs, and alway wondered what it wound be like to work as an events mananger, music manager, tour manager etc. etc.
I've found a course at another college which is a BTEC National Certificate in Production Arts - Music Business and Events Management.
I'm not sure whether to leave the BTEC Health and Social Care but would only be able to get the award and not the diploma and then go to the other college in September to do a BTEC Production Arts.
Should i chase my dreams or play safe?

Comments

• Options
    How old are you? If you're young and you've got qualifications there's nothing stopping you going out and at least trying to do what you want to do. At least you'll have something to fall back on, without any major comittments at the moment that you'll be jeopardising if it doesn't work out.

So in a nutshell, if you've got nothing to lose then go for it.
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Raindrops,

It's really a decision only you can make.

However, don't be fooled into thinking events/music/tour management is a particularly glamorous or exciting job. It's your job to make sure everyone else is having a good time, so you probably get to see, let alone enjoy, very little of the gig. You'll as likely be stuck in the queue at ASDA buying the band's post-gig rider.

That said, it doesn't have to be an either/or. There are plenty of upcoming bands who need someone to book them gigs, get them publicity, hassle record companies, etc and that's often the way if for a lot of people in the industry. Either they get successful at their role they get recruited by larger/more succesful bands/agents, or the band they are managing make it big and they turn their hobby into a full-time job.

So, why not continue with your social care course, which as Whowhere says, is a good qualification to have anyway, and spend some of your free time managing a local band and getting a feel for the role and some useful contacts?

Like a lot of jobs in the creative industries, a qualification isn't the most essential thing to have (although it can be useful); experience is really valued and will also give you a good idea of whether you want a career in the industry.

Good luck...

Olly
  • Options
    As an example, don't know if it helps but I do photographic work as an extra to my main job. I don't charge much, it gives me chance to practice and it's made me realise that whilst I enjoy doing it from time to time and as a hobby, I don't think i'd like it full time.