Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

This is why it's imperative the Tories don't get in

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/dec/02/peter-mandelson-rupert-murdoch-war

Particularly worrying are things like this:
Mandelson turned his fire on a joint Tory-News Corp campaign to dismantle the broadcasting regulator, Ofcom. The business secretary, who claimed last month that the Sun had agreed a "contract" with the Conservatives in which David Cameron would help News Corp's business interests, told peers: "There are some in the commercial sector who believe that the future of British media would be served by cutting back the role of the media regulator. They take this view because they want to commandeer more space and income for themselves and because they want to maintain their iron grip on pay-TV, a market in which many viewers feel they are paying more than they should for their music and sport. They also want to erode the commitment to impartiality. In other words, to fill British airwaves with more Fox-style news."

Cameron pledged to dismantle Ofcom during a speech in July devoted to "cutting back the quango state". The Tory leader said: "With a Conservative government, Ofcom as we know it will cease to exist."

Make no mistake: many things are at stake here, not least the very survival of the greatest broacasting corporation in the world and the impartiality and high quality of British current affairs programming.

I'll be fucked if we're going to end up with the ever-more-comical Fox News-lite Sky News channel as the dominant force in current affairs broadcasting, and with BSkyB having a virtual monopoly of all sport, movies and quality drama broadcasting. How cheap will the Licence Fee seem then!

Fuck that tax-dodging, ultra right wing Australian born US resident getting to decide how things should be run in this country. And fuck the Tories with their increasingly repugnant bedfellows, too.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'M HOPING LADIN THAT THE TORIES MASK IS STARTING TO FALL.
    It's imperative the Tories don't get in because Peter Mandleson claims something? :rolleyes:
    Hellow,

I'm David Cameron and my mother is my fathers mother.

I want your babies mind, brain and hair. You must obey :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

(ride a bike to the corner bitches) :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:
    Can you please repost the link? Thanks
    It's imperative the Tories don't get in because Peter Mandleson claims something? :rolleyes:
    Even a stopped clock tells the truth sometimes. That the Tories and the Murdochs have joined forces in a concerted attack against Ofcom is a matter of record.

And while it'd be difficult to prove the existence of any agreement between Cameron and Murdoch, it is even more difficult to imagine how it could be any other way. That has been Murdoch's modus operandi for the last few elections, and you'd be naive if you didn't think the Sun's switch from Labour to Conservative didn't come with rather long strings attached.

For what's worth the Tories are no worse than Labour when it comes to sucking Murdoch's cock for the sake of his support. What I am extremely concerned about is the Tories' apparent complacency towards Murdoch's blatant attempts to dominate forever the communications market and destroy the BBC.

That must never be allowed to happen.
    Can you please repost the link? Thanks

It should work now.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Even a stopped clock tells the truth sometimes. That the Tories and the Murdochs have joined forces in a concerted attack against Ofcom is a matter of record.

And while it'd be difficult to prove the existence of any agreement between Cameron and Murdoch, it is even more difficult to imagine how it could be any other way. That has been Murdoch's modus operandi for the last few elections, and you'd be naive if you didn't think the Sun's switch from Labour to Conservative didn't come with rather long strings attached.

For what's worth the Tories are no worse than Labour when it comes to sucking Murdoch's cock for the sake of his support. What I am extremely concerned about is the Tories' apparent complacency towards Murdoch's blatant attempts to dominate forever the communications market and destroy the BBC.

That must never be allowed to happen.

Is it? Apart from the Guardian's claim I see no evidence of a joint agreement. It fits with the Tories view of fewer, more leaner NDPBs (or Quangos) - they've been attacking dozens of them over the last few weeks. And Murdoch is incensed by the idea that Brits need to be told what they can or can't watch. A duality of interests, yes, a concerted conspiracy, perhaps but I'd need a bit more evidence than Mandleson's say so.
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, the Tories did have a joint press conference with News International regarding the future of Ofcom. In any case, there can be little doubt about the collusion between the two.

As for Murdoch, surely you know better than to believe he's "incensed by the idea that Brits need to be told what they can or can't watch". Murdoch simply wants the freedom to do away with basic journalistic standards that have been in place in this country for generations, to impose his Fox News model in Britain.

He's also trying to have the "crown jewels" concept regarding certain televised events lifted. In other words, if Murdoch has it his way every last worthy event, from England playing in the World Cup to Wimbledon tennis should be scooped by Sky Sports.

If you really don't have a problem with the above concept, and the obvious implications for everyone, I guess I've had the wrong impression about you all along.

Murdoch is an evil, poisonous cunt who has the potential to do enormous long term damage to this country's assets and way of life. At the very least I should hope that the electorate will make it clear to Cameron that he musn't sell the country down the river to that lot.
    It's inevitable, just like it was when we went back to Iraq. It's only worth fighting so you can say "I told you so"
    Labour has wasted god knows how much money but I don't think the get anywhere near enough credit for what they have done, 12 hour waiting times in A&E anyone?

We'll have 10 years of the Tories and then remember that we do rather like having public services which actually work.
    If the tories had been in power right now ...they would have been the only government in the world who would have removed twenty five billion pounds in one fell swoop from the economy instead of printing money and proping everything up.
    The only government.
    The tax take would more or less be destroyed and unemployment would now be the highest in history.
    The tory way is mass unemployment for how ever long it takes ...thats always their answer.
    Oh, one has to laugh at this inane drivel. For many years, New Labour was more than happy to suck on Rupert Murdoch's cock and swallow all the cum that came out of it. Now that he's decided that he wants the political sluts that are the Tories to jack him off instead, Labour starts voicing the complaints that they were happy to ignore for 12 years.

I don't know which of the three are the biggest bunch of cunts. And Rupert Murdoch has attained quite a level of cuntishness in his time.
    There is a difference though SG. Labour still had some restrictions on his actions, the Tories will give him freedoms without responsibility.

Have you ever watched Fox "News" for example?