Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Anyone else on work experience?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is anyone else starting work experience tomorrow or soon? I'm going to a university, I'm really scared, but excited!
If you've already done your work experience, (all you oldies!:D ) what was it like? Was it as good as you hoped? where did you go? I need info!

Comments

• Options
    Aaah the wonder that is work experience, I had mine September last year: a week of folding paper, rolling subscriptions, folding paper, sticking labels, folding papers, serious investigative journalism (I wish :rolleyes: ), developing photos :D, folding papers, sticking together pages, affixing postage stamps, FOLDING FECKIN PAPER.

Fun. :)

But all the best with yours. :D
  • Options
    I did two weeks work experience at high school (back in 1997) and when I turned up at the local Council building they told me they never knew I was coming. Nothing was organised! I just hung around all day on the internet (so it did give me an idea of what real work would be like) but they made me do remeidial tasks like filing, photocopying and making the tea. I don't even work that hard, and now I'm getting paid. I did get to see all the different departments and visit some rogue planning permission sites.
  • Options
    I worked in TopShop about 2 years ago and go to do exciting jobs like sorting out the hangers in the stock room, standing at the changing rooms where large groups of girls would go in with no intention of buying the clothes they were trying on so I'd end up having loads of clothes thrown at me :mad: , folding jeans (I now know how to do it properly :p ), putting tickets on things, and marking down items. I got to play with this really cool thing that scanned the barcodes and beeped so I liked that. :D

Plus I got to play with clothes, shoes and jewellery. :D

It was all fun till I fell down the stairs in my 3 and 3/4 inch heels. Ow. :(

I really should of picked a place where there were more men.
  • Options
    hey,
    well im doing my work experience at a fitness centre, i start next monday and theres loads of fit instructor blokes there:D !!!!

i cant wait, sepending two weeks drowling over fit blokes working out;)
  • Options
    Drowling??? :confused: lol

I did my Work Experience in february at a combined County and Crown court. Twas a blast, especially when I got to sit in on a couple of cases. Also, there were 3 murder trials while I was there! :eek: Add that to the fact that the males there were all under 25 and very friendly... well... I had a great time :D

Work experience sometimes isn't all it's cracked up to be, but if you put effort into your time there, you'll be rewarded :)
  • Options
    Had the best workexperience! Went to this studio, where they were filming a new danish tv-series (will be on this fall). We got to talk with staff, and even asked us (me and two friends) to be extras. So in the fall, people with a danish channel called TV2 Zulu will be able seeing me prancing around in a nurse suit *cringes*.

It was so damn cool. Everyone was jealous.
  • Options
    Go_aways work experience

*Boots the Chemist - still working there in my sexy uniform
    *Mount alvernia private hosp, in Pathology (great fun! I loved it! :D)
    *St Peters Hospital, A&E, Paediactrics, Orthopaedics and Surgery - the House officers cracked me up
    *St Dunstants nursery doing music and drama with 3 year olds
    *Royal Surrey County Hosp, in the eye clinic, doctors couldn't give me the time of day
    *Sunnymead Surgery - doing admin ;)
    *Broadwater sch, 'Schools without walls' project - being a mentor/guru to teens
    *Royal London Hospital - will be shadowing cardiology research there hopefully
    *Sunshine House School for the Blind
    *Winged Felowship Holidays in Essex - working with the disabled, my friend went there last year and she said she gained sooo much from it
    *Nuffield Hospital in Woking - 'Support staff'

plus the summer school at St Georges Hospital Med School :D

I loved work exp, each one was a really special and valuable experience :)
  • Options
    In yr11 I did work experience in a nursery. It was great fun. I got to do messy things like painting with the kids & my hours were only 9-3, even less time than I was in school! :D

As part of one of my courses at college I had to do work experience in January this year. I went to work for the council as an events organiser & got to help organise the Reading Half Marathon & start the planning for WOMAD & The Reading Festival! It was a good laugh & interesting as well....oh & I met a guy who became my bf....isn't anymore but it was fun whilst it lasted! ;):D
  • Options
    Is winged fellowship where you go and live a a centre?

I did my school work experience at Focus, a charity for visually impaired people. They had me in different departments, some were borin (admin), some were good. I went back once a week in the summer to help in the day centre for deaf/bind people.

I also did a placement in the student union office at college, that was good.
  • Options
    Is winged fellowship where you go and live a a centre?

Yeah, I will be going there in a month or two, I'm really looking forward to it :)
  • Options
    Aaaaah work experience :D

I did mine last May @ a hairdressers with my (ex) best mate :mad:

The highlights of it all you ask... folding/ cutting bits of foil, ironing them cape things, folding towels, taking the hair out of the plugholes *shudders* etc etc :D

I did however get my hair dyed red and highlighted blonde for free! ( £60 worth!) :D
  • Options
    my godaughter is workin in sainsburys because they pay!

And my neice is working in Thomas Cook, when she applied for a lawyers firm! LOL Poor sod!

;)
  • Options
    I am doing my work experience in 2 weeks. I am going to a nursery and like Hellie i get to spend my time painting with little kids from 9:00 - 3:15. Less time than my school hours and of course it will be more fun. :)
  • Options
    Finally got a reply and acceptance for my Work Experience in October this year.... going to a doctor's surgery and I'm really looking forward to it!! It'll either make me realise I really haven't a clue what I wanna do, or that medicine really is for me!! Yay!!
  • Options
    Work Experience for me was a slack week spent with a very small web page design company in the back end of '99. They didn't start work until 11am so I got a lie in. As there wasn't much to do i got a 1 and a half hour luch break and clocked off at about 3.